Coyote 5.0 Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Potentially thinking about a new project.

Coyote 5.0 '13-'14 S197. Aesthetically a black GT/CS.

LT Headers, cat-less X-pipe, 3" cat-back probably MBRP
Boss 302 IM, 90mm TB
Comp Cams
F1A ProCharger

Maybe make somewhere in the area of 650-750hp.

Thoughts? Wonder what the breaking point of the 'Yote is? Do the 6-speed manuals still suck in these years?

I would just get a tvs from magnacharger. That's a nice system. F1A is more drag racing than a daily.

Save for clutch and tranny upgrades.

Last edited:
A friend threw a standard blower on his with a better converter and is running low 10s. Not much else done. These Coyotes are impressive.

If they are as overbuilt as some of the other competitors (LS engines) you've got a lot of room before it will break.

My dad had a '92 5.0 LX. We put all sorts of Ford Motorsports engine parts in it. GT40 upper/lower intake, E303 camshaft, headers, etc. In the end, it ran fast, but power curves weren't consistent and the cam was too lumpy.

He said he should have just supercharged it and been done with it. Engine parts have to be matched exactly for them to work well together. A supercharger is a great power-adder that doesn't require a lot of fine tuning.

My brother used to have a '99 Corvette. He put a Maggy-Lingenfelter supercharger on it, with no other engine mods. Thing ran like a race car, and had smooth power from idle to redline.

For daily use , area under the curve makes for a good result.
Steer clear of peaky power curves, as things break when flogged constantly.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
My dad had a '92 5.0 LX. We put all sorts of Ford Motorsports engine parts in it. GT40 upper/lower intake, E303 camshaft, headers, etc. In the end, it ran fast, but power curves weren't consistent and the cam was too lumpy.

He said he should have just supercharged it and been done with it. Engine parts have to be matched exactly for them to work well together. A supercharger is a great power-adder that doesn't require a lot of fine tuning.

My brother used to have a '99 Corvette. He put a Maggy-Lingenfelter supercharger on it, with no other engine mods. Thing ran like a race car, and had smooth power from idle to redline.

It certainly didn't help that the E-cam has a profile from the stone age, LOL!! There are a lot better modern grinds out their that yield better curves and driveability.

I had an E-cam in the Town Car and yeah.... I wish I didn't.

I live 3 miles from PBIR (used to be Moroso) race track and drag strip.

I like to "observe" and go there regularly. The Mustang folks show up with some great setups. From time to time, there are 10 second Coyote 5.0's running. I think all of the 10 second ones are daily drivers, with superchargers and stock engines.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Potentially thinking about a new project.

Coyote 5.0 '13-'14 S197. Aesthetically a black GT/CS.

LT Headers, cat-less X-pipe, 3" cat-back probably MBRP
Boss 302 IM, 90mm TB
Comp Cams
F1A ProCharger

Maybe make somewhere in the area of 650-750hp.

Thoughts? Wonder what the breaking point of the 'Yote is? Do the 6-speed manuals still suck in these years?

With A F1 Blower at full tilt you WILL find the breaking point....I promise! They are Race Only blowers & way overkill & expensive for street driven cars. Like already stated a Magnuson TVS-2300 would be great! Uses a Proven Eaton rotating assembly, And when used with their conservative tuning...The engine will not be overtaxed.

GT's use a Getrag MT82 6 speed, I outsource all Manual Trans rebuilding to Standard Transmission in Fort Worth TX., They don't hold them in a high regard as far as strength, But working at a transmission repair shop....All I see is Broken $hit, The owners may just be abusive or don't know how to drive....

The Tremec TR6060/T56 is a more robust unit, Ford thinks so too....It is used in the Shelby GT500, That uses a Eaton Blower.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Does that engine even have forged pistons and crank?

From memory, very high quality Hypereutetic cast pistons, sintered rods, forged crank. We know for a fact it's good for 624HP in stock form. As Shelby sells the supercharger kit, with warranty at that power level.

There are a large number of reports of power levels North of 700HP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Does that engine even have forged pistons and crank?

You would be surprised what good hypereutectic pistons can handle. The new Kawasaki 1000cc H2R supercharged race bike is somewhere in the neighborhood of 300 horsepower and it has hypereuctectic pistons.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back