2009 Ford Focus Tuneup

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughters 2.0 liter Focus is approaching 100k. I ordered a set of Denso TT Iridium plugs and wondered if any others also replaced the coil on plugs also ? If so, what brands are solid, don't want to shell out for the Motorcrafts, $75/per. So far the car is holding up nicely.

No, coil may lasted forever, only replace ones that failed. My E430 is 15 years old 170k miles has all original coils, the 9 years old Volvo V70 with 160k miles has original coils too.

Wifes 08 3I 2.0 has 165k miles on orginal coil packs and runs great. I changed the plugs at 125k and felt like I wasted money because the originals looked so good.

I would not replace the coils, but replacing the coil boots might be a good idea. The coils rarely fail, but it is common for the boots to go bad. When a boot fails or cracks, it gives the same symptoms as a bad coil. My F-150 even gave a trouble code for the cylinder 4 misfire. I took it apart to make sure I got the same replacement part and saw a crack in the boot. Bought a boot for 6 bucks and the misfire went away. The same thing happened a year later with the number 5 boot. I didn't see anything wrong with that one, but I replaced all but the one from last time and the misfire went away again and I haven't had any trouble since. Replacing the boots really smoothed out the idle too.

There isn't much you need to do. I had an issue with my PCV hose cracking (I think they did a redesign in 08) not sure if your 09 may have that issue, but I had to pull the intake manifold off to repair. While in there I cleaned what I could of the intake runners and such.

Besides the plugs, fluids? Coolant, ATF (if applicable) Brake Fluid, Power steering fluid? Air Filter? Fuel Filter? Thats about all on these cars
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back