Minor accident NOT appearing on CarFax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

About 6 weeks ago, I was involved in a very minor fender bender accident in a mall parking lot. I was parked and NOT in my car and a car backed into my bumper and damaged it. The police were called and did accident report. I just got the CarFax this morning and the accident is not on it. Do minor accidents like this ever even appear on the report, or will
it eventually appear?

Not everything appears on Carfax. Only what is reported to Carfax or collected by them appears on it.

Not a lot gets reported on Carfax. My dad has worked for large body shop chains and dealerships and none of them report anything to Carfax.

I think there is kind of a clearing house that insurance companies run among themselves to make sure you do not get paid twice for same accident, etc. I think that clearing house is the place that sells the info to Carfax. But not everything gets reported.

I have "accident forgiveness" listed on my policy from Geico. I wonder if that means it will not get reported to Carfax. Somehow I doubt it.

Had same thing happen a few years back but no police report but did have an insurance claim pay the damage, no mark ever on the carfax

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Not everything appears on Carfax. Only what is reported to Carfax or collected by them appears on it.

This. Carfax is a tool but it is far from perfect. A police report regarding an accident will most likely show up on Carfax but it may take 6 months or so.

I had a van legally parked and totaled. I was paid for it, and bought it back from the insurance company. Two years later I sold it, I ran a CarFax and it came back clean. I wouldn't put too much faith in it.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

This. Carfax is a tool but it is far from perfect. A police report regarding an accident will most likely show up on Carfax but it may take 6 months or so.

Not even then. Last I knew, my wife's former totaled Beetle still shows as ok to buy on Carfax. This happened probably 8 years ago.

The only thing I like carfax for is to find out about previous registration and track mileage. I would not count on accident info being there.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Do you have to call police for a small fender bender with no injuries?
Did the other party have comprehensive insurance?

This for the great state of Illinois.
The Law: The legal reporting threshold for traffic crashes involving only property damage is
$1,500 when all drivers are insured. However, if any driver does not have insurance,
the threshold remains $500. In both cases, the investigating enforcement agency must
complete and forward a written report to IDOT, on a form provided/approved by IDOT, within
10 days of the crash investigation. Private property crashes are not excluded from this
requirement. [625 ILCS 5/11-406 and 408]

Data flow is not instant/real time to car fax. It is an aggregator of data feeds to produce a "report" unique to a vin. 6 weeks is not long enough to say it will never appear.

Some data sources are near real time while the balance are likes fed manually on a monthly or even quarterly basis. The web interface implies modern but reality is the service is lipstick on a pig.

Last edited:
...and the use of right/left terms on CF rather than driver side/passenger side leads to instances of mistakes in identifying the correct side of a repair...as I found out after buying Kitacam....

Originally Posted By: Charlie1935
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Do you have to call police for a small fender bender with no injuries?
Did the other party have comprehensive insurance?

This for the great state of Illinois.
The Law: The legal reporting threshold for traffic crashes involving only property damage is
$1,500 when all drivers are insured. However, if any driver does not have insurance,
the threshold remains $500. In both cases, the investigating enforcement agency must
complete and forward a written report to IDOT, on a form provided/approved by IDOT, within
10 days of the crash investigation. Private property crashes are not excluded from this
requirement. [625 ILCS 5/11-406 and 408]
I recall back in the day, Id fill out the form at the police station and they would submit it and Id send a copy to Allstate.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Not a lot gets reported on Carfax. My dad has worked for large body shop chains and dealerships and none of them report anything to Carfax.

I can believe that... Know of a couple instances that were repaired by dealer but Car Fax is clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back