Carbon Wheels and Airless Tires coming ever closer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've ridden ATV's with airless tires. Heavy and dull feeling, but otherwise just fine. They tend to fill with mud if used here in Florida. So, reports from local users are negative.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've ridden ATV's with airless tires. Heavy and dull feeling, but otherwise just fine. They tend to fill with mud if used here in Florida. So, reports from local users are negative.

I wonder if sidewalls aren't in their future? Certainly the technology won't stop at the current level, so what else might change?

God ford fanboyism is annoying. My cookware has aluminum in it, I'm sure the space station has aluminum somewhere. My cookware is space tech.

Also the typical ford stealing someone else's idea and rushing it out to market before them to get all the attention.

Last edited:
Koenigsegg has been making carbon fiber wheels for years. Cost is the biggest factor, a set costs more than a Mustang right now.

From a practical perspective your screwed if you curb them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: horse123
God ford fanboyism is annoying. My cookware has aluminum in it, I'm sure the space station has aluminum somewhere. My cookware is space tech.

Also the typical ford stealing someone else's idea and rushing it out to market before them to get all the attention.

Where, exactly, did you find Ford "fanboyism"?

I simply posted an article about carbon fiber wheels and they happen to be on a Ford. I don't see anywhere that it even says that Ford developed or manufactured them!

In fact the wheels are made by "Australia's Carbon Revolution".

Good grief. Talk about annoying.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Koenigsegg has been making carbon fiber wheels for years. Cost is the biggest factor, a set costs more than a Mustang right now.

I've been involved in carbon fiber development for some high end power applications. And you're right. Start messing with the binders and fiber matrix and you're opening yourself up to some real issues.

On a climate controlled stored sports car it's one thing. I'd hate to think how these might fare after 10 years of use, tire mounting and road salt...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I've been involved in carbon fiber development for some high end power applications. And you're right. Start messing with the binders and fiber matrix and you're opening yourself up to some real issues.

On a climate controlled stored sports car it's one thing. I'd hate to think how these might fare after 10 years of use, tire mounting and road salt...

I suppose if you have the fortune to buy the car with the wheels, you'd probably be ok replacing them as necessary.

In my case, I'm ok with just reading about them!
grin2.gif

Just sit back and let the early adopters work out the problems.

Already driving around with ultra low profile tires means that those expensive old fashioned mag style wheels have become very expensive curb feelers. I've seen this setup on fashion conscious pickups and SUV's and the first curb touch destroys the wheel. I can't imagine what this style of driving will do to carbon fiber wheels.

The airless tire once it gets past field testing by the early adopters will be a wonderful advancement in automotive technology.

Looking at those tires make me curious about something. When driving through mud, gravel, or even water wouldn't some of it get trapped inside those open spaces? Would that not end up throwing off the balance of the wheel? Around here, the mud is almost pure clay and can be very tenacious.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The airless tire once it gets past field testing by the early adopters will be a wonderful advancement in automotive technology.

Agreed.

Though, some part of me fears the loss of the good old pneumatic tire.

Especially the smells! I think the tires of 50 years ago smelled better though.

Originally Posted By: Propflux01
You smell tires?

Well, I can smell tires, can't you?

But, if what you're asking is, do I go around bending over to smell them, no.

Gasoline used to smell pretty good too! And no, I don't go around sniffing gas tanks either!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Well its one thing to use them on a $1m car. I'd imagine most Koenigsegg's spend their lives stored inside and detailed by professionals, and when they need tires go to very high end shops that are used to dealing with that kind of car.

Now put those wheels on a Mustang, and take it to Town Fair Tire...good luck with that. Or run that tire threw a car wash with some Autozoo wheel cleaner....

IMHO they are chasing diminishing returns here, CF isn't the solution to every problem. How about Ford pulls out the AC and radio, power windows, defroster, and anything power? That will save more weight.

If they want to make it a real track car strip the interior down to metal, put in one bucket seat and a roll cage, pull out the dash as well. Cheaper and will shave more than the 20 pounds those stupid wheels do. They could downsize the wheels and use magnesium for a fraction of the cost and get the weight about the same. But 17's wouldn't look "cool"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I'll just leave this here:

Koenigsegg's Carbon Fiber Wheels

I've watched this twice now, it's very interesting and enlightening.

Yesterday I didn't know CF wheels existed and now I've seen how they're made!

If the process can be automated, and what can't, the price should come into a range that many who would like to try them, could.

Thanks for this SirTanon.

Originally Posted By: horse123
God ford fanboyism is annoying.

More annoying than fanboyism (which I haven't seen in this thread) are useless comments that add nothing to a thread
smirk.gif

Supposedly, according to the article, they will fare well with curb strikes
21.gif

Regardless, the neat thing here is that they are being mass produced, something we can't say about the Koenigsegg, basically bringing supercar tech to something that is far more affordable (similar to the Ford GT when it came out).

I'm interested to see how they work "in the real world" once they are on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back