Rotella T6 5w-40, 9k miles, 03 Tacoma - 3.6L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always run a stock Yota filter. Any thoughts? This is my second shot at a UOA and it all seems to be going well. Virtually 100% road-going truck; sometimes highway miles but mostly city driving. Very minor hauling. I used to drive kinda hard, now I shift significantly shorter and watched my MPG jump quite a bit so I'm sticking to my granny-shifting I suppose, till I get some grocery-getter or something... I aim to make this a 100% off road vehicle in the near future when I finally get a real job now that I've graduated from grad school.

xRcEmYx.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Impressive but why a 40W?

It only comes in 5w-40, or at least, that's the only thing I've ever seen.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
5.5 quarts of makeup oil on the first UOA and then a longer run with no makeup oil. Is that correct?

Ya, that might be an error on their part. Both samples were taken at time of changing of oil and filter. I'll contact them tomorrow, thanks.

Originally Posted By: DAVEMAN

The 3.4L calls for 30w but either way it's working well for you. What's your gas milage like?

The 3.4L calls for 30w but either way it's working well for you. What's your gas milage like?

Everyone is always so "surprised" at how well a 40 weight oil works in a call that the manual calls for a 30 weight.....and their next comment is: How is your gas mileage?

I'm sure the UOA would look just as good if he would have ran M1 15w50 in it. And the noise based on calculating MPG's would have hidden any true hit in the MPG department.

You guys need to get over yourselves. It's gonna be OK.

Ehh, I'm no expert on oil, but I'm hardly an idiot and am also a chemist so I'm using my own judgement as an educated and informed consumer to judge that a 40 is good enough for me and that Rotella has excellent statistics at a $20/gal price point which was the driving factor behind my idea to use it. Moreover, I had used this at 3.5k and 5k intervals before I decided to try a 7.5k and send in a UOA though this oil is cheap enough to likely do 5k-ish intervals blindly.

With that said, my mpg when driving like a rage monster used to be 15-16 in summertime (265/75 A/T tires) and about 12.5 in winter mostly because I like to drift around the neighborhood, and living in WNY, we tend to get some heavy stuff. Now that I started short-shifting, I get about 18.5-19.5 in summer and I got between 16-17 in winter. Doubly, I ususaly had worse gas mileage on highway trips because the RPMs are so high at the speed I would be running (maybe 80 at the max), but when in my most recent trip to Ohio and back, I got something like 20.04mpg or so with a lot of city driving to all the breweries around Cleveland, never going more than 73ish except for the short stretch in Ohio that has a 70mph limit, then I'd go to 77. Then on the return trip I got 19.8ish which pretty much matches my city-driving so I'm quite happy with my mpg, honestly.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin

Everyone is always so "surprised" at how well a 40 weight oil works in a call that the manual calls for a 30 weight.....and their next comment is: How is your gas mileage?

I'm sure the UOA would look just as good if he would have ran M1 15w50 in it. And the noise based on calculating MPG's would have hidden any true hit in the MPG department.

I've been running T6 5W 40 in three Camrys for about half a million miles for the three together. The sky has not fallen and gas mileage is just fine. The cars spec 5W or 10W 30, I wouldn't run T6 in a car which required 0W 20.

Last edited:

Ehh, I'm no expert on oil, but I'm hardly an idiot and am also a chemist so I'm using my own judgement as an educated and informed consumer to judge that a 40 is good enough for me and that Rotella has excellent statistics at a $20/gal price point which was the driving factor behind my idea to use it. Moreover, I had used this at 3.5k and 5k intervals before I decided to try a 7.5k and send in a UOA though this oil is cheap enough to likely do 5k-ish intervals blindly.

With that said, my mpg when driving like a rage monster used to be 15-16 in summertime (265/75 A/T tires) and about 12.5 in winter mostly because I like to drift around the neighborhood, and living in WNY, we tend to get some heavy stuff. Now that I started short-shifting, I get about 18.5-19.5 in summer and I got between 16-17 in winter. Doubly, I ususaly had worse gas mileage on highway trips because the RPMs are so high at the speed I would be running (maybe 80 at the max), but when in my most recent trip to Ohio and back, I got something like 20.04mpg or so with a lot of city driving to all the breweries around Cleveland, never going more than 73ish except for the short stretch in Ohio that has a 70mph limit, then I'd go to 77. Then on the return trip I got 19.8ish which pretty much matches my city-driving so I'm quite happy with my mpg, honestly.

How's the engine noise during the winter months? You got my attention in 5W40 since your gas mileage is pretty much what I get and mines an automatic.

How's the engine noise during the winter months? You got my attention in 5W40 since your gas mileage is pretty much what I get and mines an automatic.

I don't have a slushbox but my engine noise is fine. I plugged the vacuum baffles in the intake so the engine noise is a bit louder in the higher RPMs but if you're crying about engine noise, you probably shouldn't be driving a truck and go visit a dr to check to make sure your period is on point.

Originally Posted By: Phishin

Half a decade of normal oils being explained as "overly thick" leads to some incorrect thought patterns.

I don't have a slushbox but my engine noise is fine. I plugged the vacuum baffles in the intake so the engine noise is a bit louder in the higher RPMs but if you're crying about engine noise, you probably shouldn't be driving a truck and go visit a dr to check to make sure your period is on point.

Maybe you need to take your own advice brother. No one's crying here.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Half a decade of normal oils being explained as "overly thick" leads to some incorrect thought patterns.

Of course, all the "thin oil" fans here on BITOG are shaking their heads because the guy who agrees with me is an Aussie. LOL!!!

I run a 30 weight in my Honda (manual calls for a 20) and I run a 40 weight in my Subie (manual calls for a 30).

I run 20w50 in my old truck, because it's an old, worn out, oil burning, about to die, but keeps right on going POS that I love driving to work.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back