Ethanol free gas best for di turbo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note you guys are outside the US. Can you buy gas with ethanol in the UK? You really can't buy ethanol free in most of the US.

I found that a place not too far from me carried VP 94 octane ethanol free gas intended for small engines in 5 gallon buckets...I thought I would give it a try, just for fun.
$100 for 5 gallons!!!!
Guess I'm stuck with ethanol...

Convert it to e85 and enjoy way more power.

I'd like to hear a proper technical explanation of why e10 is bad for a turbo engine.

Not no food for fuel or no mandates. A non political tech explanation.

quoted: Note you guys are outside the US. Can you buy gas with ethanol in the UK? You really can't buy ethanol free in most of the US.

Ethanol-free premium 91 is quite easy to find across the province of Quebec (Canada).

Shell, Ultramar, Crevier and Esso branded fill stations to name a few,
I have also e-mailed their customer service to confirm.

On the other hand, 87 octane always has 5-10% ethanol content.
Pumps offer 87, 89, 91.
94 octane is available at some Petro-Canada stations but it's an ethanol blend.

Last edited:
that could very well be good advice in canada, however the USA is a little different in how the renewable fuel standard mandate is met.

every state has been given the freedom to meet the standard as they please and most states dispense it in different octane fuels.

With all the lakes in my county (Steuben), we have gas stations here in that sell ethanol free "recreational" gas. It's 91 octane.

Easy to get here.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Convert it to e85 and enjoy way more power.

Not!! Ethanol has less BTU's per gallon than straight gasoline. More has to be used in combustion to achieve the same amount of power, hence why MPG is always less.

Question is do you want more power or better fuel mileage. More ethanol the more boost and less ignition timing gets pulled. I make my tank lo an e30 mix in the summer. Ethanol has less btu yes. But in a di motor especially it really wakes up the 3.5 ecoboost. Has been shown to drop couple tenths in the quarter mile. Problem is less btu. Equals more fuel needs injected. So you run out of head room on the fuel system.

The corn used for e is cattle feedstock. And it still gets used as feedstock after its been processed.

But in cold winter I do not due to longer Coldstarts and lack of head room on the fuel system. Cold air needs more fuel to go with it

Alcohol makes more power due to 2 things... Higher octane means you can run boost higher. Second you get a cooling condensing effect in the intake air but this may not apply to DI.

Along with the more power are much more spectacular engine explosions when something goes a little off in fuel system.

Good luck

It is NOT higher octane as it is combined with pure gas to achieve 87,89 or 91 octane. With E10 you loose 4.3% heat value per gallon of fuel so your mileage is 4.3% lower. Ed

Originally Posted By: mlatour
quoted: Note you guys are outside the US. Can you buy gas with ethanol in the UK? You really can't buy ethanol free in most of the US.

Ethanol-free premium 91 is quite easy to find across the province of Quebec (Canada).

Shell, Ultramar, Crevier and Esso branded fill stations to name a few,
I have also e-mailed their customer service to confirm.

On the other hand, 87 octane always has 5-10% ethanol content.
Pumps offer 87, 89, 91.
94 octane is available at some Petro-Canada stations but it's an ethanol blend.

I filled up this on my way out of the Montreal area a few weeks ago, but my octane-sensitive Subie turbo didn't perform handsprings as I expected. My dealer claimed that I was risking throwing CELs if I didn't use 93 octane, but I'm hoping they're full of it as Subaru says 91 is just fine...
Had a weird issue at a funky little no-name gas station near work a few years ago, my "RAV6" would just jump off the line after I filled up there but my mileage would be terrible on that tank. Somebody on another forum suggested that they were putting in way more than 10% ethanol and my knock detection system was making good use of the higher octane. Wasn't just a one tank thing, very consistent over several tanks (I eventually got scared and stopped going there, has now been out of business for several years).

FXT modders are reporting much better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times on E85 tunes, and of course the top end dragsters run alcohol fuels...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back