India to slash Iran oil imports

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/11/us-india-iran-imports-idUSBREA2A0TU20140311

"Tehran and Western world powers are working through a landmark deal that runs from January 20 to July 20 that requires Iran to curb its nuclear program in return for a calibrated release of $4.2 billion it is owed in back payments for its oil."

My question is: Will we flat out give the Iranian government $4.2 billion dollars? or are we expecting oil in return for that $4.2 B? Which we would likely route to India.

It is their money.........We seized it when they became an enemy. Banks have it in what amounts to escrow accounts. Buying their oil will be separate transactions.

got it 4wheeldog, thanks.

wonder why then we are asking India to slow down on their import of Iranian oil. So we can buy that ourselves?

on edit:i'm trying to understand all this, that's all, thanks for help

Last edited:
Iran also has a huge quantity of oil sitting in supertankers. The report also said some considered it poor quality oil. I am not sure what the deal is here, but I think Iran is very eager to start rolling in $$ for its oil. But now the price is low.

Many are not comfortable with the deal, but like Cuba, you cannot be at odds with another country forever.

If I was the leader in Iran and I understood all the problems dealing with nuclear waste (both military and commercial), etc, I would buy the nuclear fuel for reactors and not make anything myself.

Energy is cheap, they are not in it for the electricity.

The nuclear fuel / reactor is just like military exercise. It is not literally to bomb the heck out of the west but there to pose a stance. In military you still need to prepare for it but the likely civilian mess would be low.

There is an international believe that if you have a warhead, no body would mess with you by trying to overthrow your government (i.e. N Korea, Iran).

Why India? They are poor enough to deal with anyone for the right price and they have not much stake in the Iran vs the West dealing. China would probably be a good broker too but China is now not so poor and do so much business with the west, they can't take that chance like India does.

thanks panda bear, that lead me to this;

" India has made up the deficit by increasing imports from Colombia and Mexico"

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Would you accept John Kerry as your negotiator if you were having a dispute with your next door neighbor over his barking dog?

heck if i know jack, what say you?

Would you accept John Kerry as your negotiator if you were having a dispute with your next door neighbor over his barking dog?

I wouldn't accept him for my negotiator or another party's negotiator either one.

If the alternative was to get in a shooting war with the neighbor.........Yes, I would accept John Kerry or any other experienced negotiator, rather than lobbing grenades.

Last edited:
No. Neville Chamberlain in a more expensive suit.

One would think a "smartest man in the room" Ivy League grad like Johnny could have been admitted to an Ivy League law school. It's not that he couldn't afford one, having been on his FIRST millionaire wife at the time. As is common knowledge up this way...he couldn't get in.

Last edited:
Lurch is a huge loser, from his history as a Vietnam Vet to present day idiocy.

But he was just following his orders. He does not run the show...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The problem is I'm not sure who does.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Energy is cheap, they are not in it for the electricity.

The nuclear fuel / reactor is just like military exercise. It is not literally to bomb the heck out of the west but there to pose a stance. In military you still need to prepare for it but the likely civilian mess would be low.

There is an international believe that if you have a warhead, no body would mess with you by trying to overthrow your government (i.e. N Korea, Iran).

Why India? They are poor enough to deal with anyone for the right price and they have not much stake in the Iran vs the West dealing. China would probably be a good broker too but China is now not so poor and do so much business with the west, they can't take that chance like India does.
That "international belief " does not stop Iran from threatening Israel even though we know the IDF has a good selection of warheads and delivery systems.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

The problem is I'm not sure who does.

Inexperienced Amateurs, that's who. The results are obvious, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back