Went for a Ride in a Unique Aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that is an Air Cam. National Geographic used one for use in studies in the Amazon, IIRC. Power is usually two Rotax four stroke engines.

Last edited:
I'm going with Air Cam also, being that it says "Air Cam" right on the side.
grin.gif

Not sure what city, I dont get out much.

Looks like it would have been a very fun ride. Color me jealous.

You guys are right! It is indeed an AirCam with 2 Rotax engines!

Very slow, but leaps off the ground in under 200 feet.

We never got above 300-400 feet, and 75 KIAS.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Looks like it could have a water hull to land on water too?

Good observation! There is a float plane version. How much fun would that be!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

It would be good for trying out a few hard to access lakes around here... I wonder what the takeoff distance is in float configuration?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

It would be good for trying out a few hard to access lakes around here... I wonder what the takeoff distance is in float configuration?

Probably not much over 200 feet. The thing has a lot of power.

Looks like the area where the Arkansas River terminates in the Mississippi, i. e. Memphis.

Not sure what type of ultralight that is, but the thermals around here in the summer can make them a real handful at much of an altitude - a few hundred feet is a good idea.

Were you under the controlled airspace? I don't see a radio or transponder.

Originally Posted By: Win
Looks like the area where the Arkansas River terminates in the Mississippi, i. e. Memphis.

Not sure what type of ultralight that is, but the thermals around here in the summer can make them a real handful at much of an altitude - a few hundred feet is a good idea.

Were you under the controlled airspace? I don't see a radio or transponder.

It has a radio, and he was talking to ATC at the airports we flew in and out of (De-Witt-Spain, Fayette County, Charles Baker).

Somebody mentioned crosswinds. Yeah, you feel every gust of wind!

Made me a little nervous flying that low. Yeah, it has 2 engines. But I like being higher in case of an emergency.

BTW it is not an ultralight. It weighs 1060 lbs empty, with a gross of >1600 lbs. Holds 25 gallons of gas.

Last edited:
I've been up in an AirCam 3 times. What a blast of an airplane!! So much fun, and well designed to fly low and slow, especially over the water or rugged terrain. They fly quite well on one engine.

The only very minor complaint I had was the aileron feel. Heavy stick forces and quite a bit of stick counter pressure required while maneuvering. However, in about 5 minutes, you get used to it, and the airplane becomes second nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back