Royal Purple HPS 15K Miles, Honda Civic 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rex

Greetings,

My results off my 2010 Honda Civic running Royal Purple HPS 5w/20 at 15,237 miles. The other sample was using M1 Full Synthetic.

Looking for opinions on the RP at 15K versus the M1 at 10K. Thanks!

10%20CIVIC-062615_4_zpsj03u8l5e.jpg

Looks good for the mileage. Both oils held up well at their respective intervals and could have been run longer.

It's hard to tell.

The RP might have more wear simply because you're switching from one formulation to another and it needs a few OCI's to settle down.

Did you run M1 for several OCIs or did you run something else in the previous OCI?

Looks like 15k is a little much for the RP, but it looks like 15k might be a cakewalk for M1. That's just my opinion. 2.1TBN is a little lower than I prefer but there are other people who disagree. Wear metals aren't always a good indicator of buildup in an engine.

It's so marginal you can use whichever you find cheapest, tbh. If it were me I would just go back to M1 @ 12-14K and sleep easy at night.

Last edited:
Yes DemoFly, I strictly ran M1 up to the point of switching over to the RP.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
It's hard to tell.

The RP might have more wear simply because you're switching from one formulation to another and it needs a few OCI's to settle down.

Did you run M1 for several OCIs or did you run something else in the previous OCI?

Looks like 15k is a little much for the RP, but it looks like 15k might be a cakewalk for M1.

It's so marginal you can use whichever you find cheapest, tbh. If it were me I would just go back to M1 @ 12-14K and sleep easy at night.

Both look good. I would probably just keep it at an even 15k since wear metals can actually accumulate and become more abrasive, which night be why there is a slight uptake in metal ppm per thousand miles in the RP run.

Obviously mostly highway miles when you look at my date stamp. Also notice the RP ran in the winter months with sub zero temps here in the northern Midwest.

Very nice report! Wear is just a tick over average, However the run was longer than average. The next run will probably meet average wear over the warmer summer months!

HPS looks like an awesome oil! I'm considering ordering a case, I love the addative package!

Any makeup oil?

Last edited:
No, none. Car never used a drop.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Very nice report! Wear is just a tick over average, However the run was longer than average. The next run will probably meet average wear over the warmer summer months!

HPS looks like an awesome oil! I'm considering ordering a case, I love the addative package!

Any makeup oil?

I like the way Royal Purple HPS held its viscosity up, maybe a bit of oxidation countered some shearing over all those miles.
Nothing to be concerned about.
I do think Royal Purple HPS has too much catalyst-fouling phosphorous in it. The SN limits are 800 pmm for a reason. Again, no big deal though, just not what I'd run.

The RP on paper arguably has a stouter add pack than the M1 but it clearly did not correlate to results. Both look fine though I don't like how much the M1 sheared.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The RP on paper arguably has a stouter add pack than the M1 but it clearly did not correlate to results. Both look fine though I don't like how much the M1 sheared.

With flash down in both cases I imagine some of it was fuel dilution. It looks like the RP did a bit of oxidative thickening, but nothing to be worried about.

The RP did great for 15k I think. M1 did great too for 10k. You'd have to run both for equal time under the same conditions to even begin to compare but really you would need to trend each through several uoas.

Ofcourse I would go thicker.

01.gif

It is hard to tell a difference.

Of course some guys can find ways to micro-analyze 5 ppm differences.

It's hard to tell.

Looks like 15k is a little much for the RP, but it looks like 15k might be a cakewalk for M1. That's just my opinion. 2.1TBN is a little lower than I prefer but there are other people who disagree. Wear metals aren't always a good indicator of buildup in an engine.

The idea that there is more wear with rp is nonsense. Those few ppm could be anything from a particle streak to some gunge on the drain plug.
Wear cannot be compared via a used oil analysis when there is only 2 examples.
A typical example of seeing something that isn't there.

Both samples look great. Nothing out of the ordinary and I'm glad to see someone using the hps for an extended interval

Looks good.

Which are you going to use going forward.

Im currently still running RP HPS but will drain at the 10K mark. This will compare with my M1 10K shown as my first UOA sample.

I have about 3k to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back