Air filter restriction guage, which one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, after doing some reading on this forum I gather that an air fiter restriction gauge might be a good item to have.

My biggest question is, how do they work? Do they measure how much air is being sucked in BEFORE the filter?

Also, can one size fit all? Not all engines suck the same amount of air.

I would be interested in getting one for my Silverado.

Thanks.

It measures the restriction after the air filter.

The most easiest to get is from a GM truck at a pick and pull junkyard. Pocket the filter and grommet and walk out. The regular filterminder and GM filterminders measure up to 25in H20 of restriction. The K&N filterminder measures up to 10in H20.

For some reason GM removed them in later trucks. Earlier models had one from the factory. I swapped the GM filterminder to a K&N filterminder I had laying around. The K&N is much more sensitive as it's showing filter restriction at WOT.
fRmICZU.jpg

Last edited:
My owner's manual states to change the air filter every 45K miles. Obviously driving in VERY dusty conditions would require more frequent changes.

Even with a gauge, I physically check my filter once a year and replace when it looks dirty.

I vacuum and clean-up the filter box too.

At 28k my, OEM air filter in my 6.7 power stoke was black and looked horrible. The filter minder gauge which I was counting on, still showed plenty of life left. I've resolved to check the filter regardless now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back