Electrolysis in wrangler

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a jeep wrangler that has an issue with electrolysis. Have tried to hunt down the problem but can't seem to find it so I am going to a sacrificial anode type cap. My question is. Is there one coolant that is better than others at protecting aluminum radiators and keeping electrolysis at bay? I have been using standard green coolant 50/50 mix. In my diesel I use Cat EC-1 coolant would this be better?

Its the aftermarket aluminum radiator causing the problem, try grounding it to the frame/engine to see if it helps.

Is there a bad or missing electric ground? It could be the radiator. Type of coolant maybe.Have you measured the milli volts?

grounding--- it may be the other way .. you may NOT want the radiator grounded, as that's the path used for the electrons to flow-- it may need to actually be isolated from all ground/electrical contact, if possible.

If the coolant has dissolved minerals in it then it grounds that way. That is what the millivolt check is good for, determining the amount of mineral content in relation to millivolts.

A good reason to use distilled water when you fill.

But I guess I need to go see if any of my cars radiators are grounded. Only one has the all aluminum radiator. The other has the plastic tank style that would not be grounded.

I was going to ground it then studied up and found that could possibly wake it worse ? Is changing coolant every 4 months the answer. I hope not

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
If the coolant has dissolved minerals in it then it grounds that way. That is what the millivolt check is good for, determining the amount of mineral content in relation to millivolts.

A good reason to use distilled water when you fill.

But I guess I need to go see if any of my cars radiators are grounded. Only one has the all aluminum radiator. The other has the plastic tank style that would not be grounded.

Just additional info/thinking: The electrolysis/corrosion actually needs both-- the full circuit, to occur. It is exactly that-- a full circuit. Break apart the circuit and the reaction stops. In this case, vehicle ground would be one "wire" and the minerals through the coolant the other. due to different attraction properties between the radiator and engine, ions would pull material from one, and plate them to the other, traveling through the coolant (electrolyte, as it becomes in this case), with the vehicle ground being the return path for electrons. This is the exact same principle in how a battery works.

If the engine is aluminum and the radiator is aluminum the difference in potential is minimal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back