Which to keep, which to sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
Hello all...seeking opinions on the followings:

97 Avalon 255k, purchased new. Faithful transportation, like it very much, no big issues. She's showing her age..needs headliner, switch bezel, bad scratch on hood and biggest of all the AC is not working and is original to the vehicle. Gas mileage is not Impressive..22 or so on the hwy. Does not use oil and has no leaks.

Other car is a 2003 Chrysler town & Country 133k. Purchased with 17k miles. Runs fine no major issues. Gas mileage is about 28 on the highway. Does not use oil but is leaking at the valve covers. Body & interior in good shape. Best of all the AC works. Engine is 3.3 flex V6.

About time to get another car. I can't seem to decide which to sell and which to keep. Wife gets the next car(as always😍) so I will drive whichever we keep.

I can't seem to get comfortable with thinking that the van will go to 200k. I mostly trust the Avalon but it admittedly has high mileage. I would rather drive the Avalon but no way without the AC. I can't find anything to push me to a final decision on either one. I'm driving a company car now so don't have to make a decision for another month or so.

Any known issues with the van engine??

Thanks in advance....

If it were me, I'd keep the van. I expect it's paid off now. Every day you drive it is money in your pocket. Valve cover gaskets aren't to bad to do. The engine will go 300K easily with normal maintance. In my 2000 GC 3.3 I did 1yr./8k oci with M1 5W-30. Do a pan drop oil change every 30k on the tranny. it will do 200k+. Always use +4 atf.

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
All O2 sensors are original. Never had any CEL related to them either....

Don't really NEED the capacity of the van, which is one of the reasons I am having an issue keeping it...

BUT it has 122K less miles, gets far better mileage and has working A/C, would be a no brainier for me... Even if the 'Yota would go 300K vs 200K for van, still means their are more miles left in the van...

Maybe you're thinking the hotties aren't gonna wave back at some guy in a van??

Oldmoparguy--thanks....I was hoping someone who has similar engine/tranny could tell me their experience..

TFB1 has nailed the biggest issue with the van...I'm not sure I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity to be seen driving a soccer mom vehicle
cool.gif

I think it depends on what you buy new/used too....

Depending on if it needs to haul family....Maybe selling both and upgrading to a new compact car?

Depends upon the color of your hair (or the presence of them)! 97 Avalon is blue haired ladies magnet though!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back