Goodyear tires w/ 07 DOT date code

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car we just got for grandma has 4 matching Goodyear 215/70r15 tires with good tread from 2007. They have 40k on them and easily more than that if they don't come apart. The car was kept in a garage with very little use, but the use it did see was long highway trips up until the last few years. Should we replace these ASAP? Or are they likely to make it to Christmas? Less than 10K

We've already bought the car and put well over 1k into making it safe, engine and transmission wise. Do we need to do tires? We are planning on brakes - lines are rusty.

Make sure to get nicopp brake lines so it doesn't happen again.

Some manufacturers say 10 years is okay on tires even though answers vary. Knowing it was garaged means they should easily last at least 10 years. I would run them to the wear bars if they don't have any major cracking. Got any pics?

Around town or highway speeds? If she just drives around town, I'd run them. If she drives on the interstate at 75-80 mph, I would probably change them out.

My goodyears struggled to make 8....and that was the tires being shaded most of their lives.

Replace them.

Keep 'em. I assume you looked them over for cracks and whatnot, though those aren't the end-all be-all go/no-go inspection criteria.

Since Ozone (sun) is detrimental to tires and the car was garaged I'd run them longer. Do they show any dry rot cracking?

My rule of thumb is that in hot states, 6 years is a good limit - and by hot states, I mean AZ, CA, TX, NV, and FL. I see where you are in FL, so if your vehicle is from that area, I think it means the tires need to be replaced.

And to finish out my rule of thumb: Cold states are 10 years - MN, ND, MT, MI, and WI. States in between and .... ah ..... in between.

Yes, I recognize that sometimes the states don't follow the hot/cold boundaries - and everyone should take that into account when applying the rule. CA is a good example of this.

Yes, they show some cracking, but I don't see anything deep. I would expect her to be running 75-80MPH regularly, as traffic generally moves faster than that around here.

I guess it's hard to put a price on a family members well being. Especially since this is the safer upgrade to the '97 Nissan pickup w/ 305k miles on it with one perpetually (but new) flat tire.

I think I know the right answer is replacement, but I was hoping everyone would say it is fine and not to worry.

Pic:
O1oPu9Ch.jpg

Last edited:
When I lived in MD, tires saw extreme temp swings between summers in the high 90s, and winters that would stay entirely below freezing for 6 weeks or more, regularly dipping into the teens at night. Any tire that approached 5 years started to become a risk for sidewall blowouts (as experienced with low-mileage GY eagles at the time) even if the outer appearances were fine.

Around town, I'd be fine to drive on them. Interstate, I'd be shopping for a set. Even an inexpensive set of Fuzions would be better than old aged tires.

They're fine. Don't worry.

If they get replaced the tire shop will sell/ reallocate them to someone else who shares the same roads with your grandma, and it could be someone who also has bad brakes, texts, speeds, neglects PSI, etc.

When I had a flat on my cutlass ciera I barely felt it. The car handled normally. I missed what make this was but I bet it's some american midsize barge from the aspect ratio. My flat was from picking up a nail, BTW.

Originally Posted By: CBR.worm
Yes, they show some cracking, but I don't see anything deep. I would expect her to be running 75-80MPH regularly, as traffic generally moves faster than that around here.

I guess it's hard to put a price on a family members well being. Especially since this is the safer upgrade to the '97 Nissan pickup w/ 305k miles on it with one perpetually (but new) flat tire.

I think I know the right answer is replacement, but I was hoping everyone would say it is fine and not to worry.

Pic:
O1oPu9Ch.jpg

CBR, the tire in the picture looks like it may have been run flat or at least very, very low on air. Notice the ring of cracks around the center of the sidewall. This can happen when the sidewall collapses and folds over. I would remove this one from the rim and check the inner liner for damage.

We had some Goodyear weather handler fuel max tires on our caravan when we got it. They were dated mid 2010/ late 2009 but they looked great. A little light dry rot but the tread looked great.
I woke up one morning to a flat so I checked it for nails, screws or tacks. Nothing. When I checked the valve stem I heard a slight hiss from the sidewall when I ran my hand across it. When I coated the sidewall with soapy water I found bubbles forming around the bold Goodyear lettering. I checked the other tires and only the the 2010 dated tires were seeping from the sidewalls.
The fresh cooper cs5's revealed just how bad those goodyears were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back