Boat Anchors Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which engine, transmissions, etc. qualify for the 1st annual BOITOG Boat Anchor Award?

I'll date myself and start with the Dodge push-button automatic transmission and the AMC 304 V8.

1987 dodge Dakota 4x4 3.9 carborated v6 3 SPD auto. I used to keep it floored litterally all the way across town and never broke 60.

Even worst 1991 Mitsubishi precis made by Hyundai, it wouldn't accellerate to highway speed without turning off the ac first!

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
My vote is for any of the truck/van applications of the Ford modular 4.6L V8. Durable as any engine I've ever seen, but man are those things dogs!

Towed an overweight stumpgrinder and trailer behind a 4.6L F150 for a while with no issues. Certainly wasn't winning any races but kept up fine and did the job.

My 97' Camry 2.2L was quite the boat anchor but wasn't out of this world slow.

I'd say my grandparents 2012 Jeep Patriot with the 2.0L CVT is a boat anchor, my god that thing can't even get out of it's own way.

Olds 307.
Fiat-Chrysler 1.4l multi-air.
Dodge 3.9L V6 (even though it's one of my favorite engines.)
Dodge 3.7L V6
Vulcan 3.0L V6
GM 305

...Those are the only ones I have experience with that bothered me greatly.

Chrysler 42RE, 44RE, 46RE, etc. THEEE worst overdrive ever mated to a transmission. Ever.

My buddy's old GF's dad had a full-sized 60's Impala with a 283 in it backed by a powerglide and highway gears in the rear diff. Slow didn't even begin to describe that car
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: buck91
My vote is for any of the truck/van applications of the Ford modular 4.6L V8. Durable as any engine I've ever seen, but man are those things dogs!

Towed an overweight stumpgrinder and trailer behind a 4.6L F150 for a while with no issues. Certainly wasn't winning any races but kept up fine and did the job.

Isn't this the engine that was famous for blowing head gaskets at about 70,000 miles? Almost 100% of them.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

Isn't this the engine that was famous for blowing head gaskets at about 70,000 miles? Almost 100% of them.

No...........

For years my dad had an E-150 Econoline that we towed a 19' boat, and sometimes a 25' trailer with. Along with that we had the van loaded with 5 people and their 'stuff'. The van certainly was capable, as was the motor, it just wasn't very powerful. However, even after a busted heater pipe, subsequent coolant leakage, and several overheat moments throughout the trip, the motor still kept on going!

slow cars? Original 1982 Chevy Cavalier with 1.8 4 cyl with carb and 3 speed automatic..literally couldn't keep up with mopeds of that era..almost get killed trying to get on the interstate.(and wouldn't start in the winter)

Other worst combo?..Chrysler 2.4 4 cyl in a late model Dodge Journey with automatic..i think a kid on a bicycle could outrun that! Another one that was dangerous when trying to get on the interstate on ramp.

1988 Dodge Dakota, 2.2 with 5 speed manual,

The hesitation of power was amazing...

0-60 took 25 miles, and a calendar...

classic boat anchor, carbureted 2.6 Mitsubishi engine in K Cars

A Mitsubishi motor was optional, and cars so equipped for 1981 were badged as 2.6 HEMI. Reliants equipped with this engine accelerated 0–60 mph in the 13-second range.

hemi??? this shows how sad things were back then, scary 80s

hemi means performance, some REAL 60-70's Hemi cars could crack 13's in a quarter mile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Astron_engine#4G54

I had a first year production 1982 Chevy S10 with carbureted 2.8L engine (got it for $50). Top speed was about 68 mph and it took a while to get there. I only got to drive it for a month, as I hit a speed bump and the oil pickup FELL OFF of the engine, dropping oil pressure to 0 PSI. (Yes the oil pickup just fell off. It wasn't bolted on or tack welded on or anything, just press fit) Piston rod knock happened shortly thereafter.

1975 VW rabbit 1.5l.
1988 E-250 Club Wagon. 4.9l inline 6. Three speed. (Dubbed "Heinous Van" and had an actual piece plywood on the floor to keep you leg from falling through)

Neither could get out of their own way. Got me around though.

Originally Posted By: used_0il
Which engine, transmissions, etc. qualify for the 1st annual BOITOG Boat Anchor Award?

This award could have 2 different meanings: (1) so terrible it was only useful as a boat anchor, and (2) so slow you might as well have been tied to a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back