Driving cars where you cannot see the hood???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to replace my wife's wrecked 07 Camry with a 2012. The first thing I noticed driving it is all I can see is the back edge of the hood. Couldn't tell by driving it if the front of the car is 1 foot long, or 8!!! Bugs me when I can't see at least half of the hood to get a better idea where the front of the car might be. I know many cars are like that, but am I the only one that it bothers? I'm sure I could get used to it. I'm 6'2, and with the seat all the way up can't see past the dash. Makes me want to put a stupid hood ornament on it.

Last edited:
My 2007 Town and Country was the same way. The hood simply disappeared.

Thankfully, Chrysler fixed that problem by the time that they built my 2011 T&C.

That's why I drive a Grand Marquis...I can see all 17' of the hood.
19.gif

I can't see the hood at all while driving my Honda, not even if I scoot up to the dashboard. It bothered my when I purchased the car but I got over it. After 31 years I'm used to it.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Looking to replace my wife's wrecked 07 Camry with a 2012. The first thing I noticed driving it is all I can see is the back edge of the hood. Couldn't tell by driving it if the front of the car is 1 foot long, or 8!!! Bugs me when I can't see at least half of the hood to get a better idea where the front of the car might be. I know many cars are like that, but am I the only one that it bothers? I'm sure I could get used to it. I'm 6'2, and with the seat all the way up can't see past the dash. Makes me want to put a stupid hood ornament on it.

You're 6'2" and can't see the hood, how about shorter drivers at 5' ? They can't see anything other than the sky !

It stopped bothering me when I started driving trucks.

You learn where it is, and a bit of a safety margin. I figure I shouldn't get any closer without a spotter, going forward or back.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Perhaps you just need a set of rookie rods
laugh.gif

726-020.jpg

Yeah, those look great!. So many newer cars get the front valance destroyed on curbs anymore. Miss the big chrome bumpers that were a foot off the ground, and the tires would stop you. Even the front of my Chevy truck is at risk.

hehe, our new Ram has proboscis saving front sonar. A cute lil graphic pops up when you get too close to all that stuff you cannot see...

Not sure why it's a problem? Stop far enough behind the car in front to see their tires and you won't hit it.

Maybe some drama parallel parking. But I can usually recall where the front of any of our five cars ends, just like you figure out where back ends even though that is more difficult.

It used to be considered a safety feature to be able to see all four corners of the car from the drivers seat.

I admit, it's one of my pet peeves of modern cars that you have very limited visability.

I have to look up to see the hood on my Accord, but you get used to it quickly. I like it because it gives me a more unobstructed view.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Install a blower???

Perfect...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: expat
It used to be considered a safety feature to be able to see all four corners of the car from the drivers seat.

I admit, it's one of my pet peeves of modern cars that you have very limited visability.

It by no means a modern thing, you want hoodless?? Try a '80s/'90s Areostar(drove one for nine years & loved it)... The first Econolines as well... Wasn't anything beyond the windshield but the wipers...

Stop putting your seat so low. Seriously, I don't what's wrong with people who have their seat really low yet are significantly shorter than me. I always have it at the top in my car. I don't try to pretend I'm in an F1 car.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Makes me want to put a stupid hood ornament on it.

Mercedes still makes cars with the star on it although some people replace them with a flat badge. Many cars also have an option where you can get parking distance sensors so that shows you how close you are in the front or back. Makes it easy to parallel park without tapping the car in front of you. Some of the high end cars like an Audi A8 have external cameras so you can see the exterior of the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back