2015 F350 diesel need cleaner oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2015 regens lots, every 250-300kms, goes for 20-25minutes, losing lots of fuel this way. I've ran 15/40 cj-4 mineral, coop and shell, 5w40 delvac Mobil, coop 0w40 full syn for the winter, currently trying a coop 5w40 syn blend. All seem fine early on but once I get to 2,500-3000 miles it really kicks In every 3-4 days. I'd like to try a Mobil esp 5w40 formula M I have on the shelf for the wife's 2014 MB diesel. It's a 229.51 rating, all the cj-4's I've been using are 228.31 rated. I've switched the wife's rig to 229.52, latest and greatest for MB so I have this stuff on the shelf. It doesn't show any ratings other than European. Thoughts on trying this stuff out on my f350? Thx for the time.

This stuff? Kinda pricey. $38.99 at a truck stop gas station in eastern Ohio.
I would try it if I had a diesel.

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0088.jpg

Last edited:
Do a delete.
DO NOT use a 229.51/52 oil on a 6.7. It is not designed for passenger car diesel oils. It is designed for 228.31 oils.
In any respect changing oils will make absolutely no difference in the regen rate.

Charlie

Last edited:
CJ-4 is what you want... either in the 5/10w30 or 5/15w40 verions. A CJ-4 lube can also meet the MB229.51 spec in some situations (Delo 5w30 synthetic for example), but you need the ash content that CJ-4 lubes are guaranteed to have for longer term protection.

I agree with an above post that deleting the emissions systems altogether would benefit the vehicle in every way imaginable, but there can be obvious consequences for doing this... so I won't recommend it directly, but will recommend doing some research on the subject and making your own decision.

Soot is not from the oil it is from the fuel and how the engine is operated. I wouldn't get an emission controlled diesel.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
CJ-4 is what you want... either in the 5/10w30 or 5/15w40 verions. A CJ-4 lube can also meet the MB229.51 spec in some situations (Delo 5w30 synthetic for example), but you need the ash content that CJ-4 lubes are guaranteed to have for longer term protection.

I agree with an above post that deleting the emissions systems altogether would benefit the vehicle in every way imaginable, but there can be obvious consequences for doing this... so I won't recommend it directly, but will recommend doing some research on the subject and making your own decision.

Delo Synthetic 5W30 meets 228.51, NOT 229.51!!! There is a substantial difference.
228.51 oils have comparable or even more detergency compared to 228.31 (CJ4) but lower Zn/P/S, and are based on ACEA E6.
229.51 oils because S and ash is even more limited tend to have very low TBNs - like 6 instead of 10. They are based on ACEA C3.
There are 228.51 oils with starting TBNs of 12, like Delvac XHP LE (not available in N. America). http://www.mobil.com/Latvia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_XHP_LE_10W-40.aspx

Charlie

Originally Posted By: CT8
I wouldn't get an emission controlled diesel.

Same here, for the way we use a vehicle a diesel with the current emissions system would have been a major mistake for us. That whole emissions system is what stopped me from buying a GC diesel.

I'm going to be "that guy" and ask just a few things first ...

1) how are you defining success here? What does "need cleaner oil" mean?
2) have you attained UOAs? Do you have any idea how much or little soot and fuel you have, or where your wear rates are at?
3) what criteria have you set out as a means to compare/contrast the different oils you've tried, and those you still want to try.

I mean, you've apparently been unhappy with several, or you'd not still be on a quest. So please tell us what quantifiable, measurable characteristics you've been dissatisfied with so far. If you've not done these things, then how in the world are you affecting judgement on any lube choice?

As Charlie said, no oil is going to stop or alter regens; only your operational pattern can do that. If you're getting so many regens, it means you're not getting the engine hot enough in normal operation. Why would the OCI duration have effect on the regens, anyway, in your mind?

CJ-4 lubes are made with high soot in mind. No lube (yet to my knowledge) has been developed, as a lube classification, to specifically deal with high fuel content.

Until you define your perceived issues much more thoroughly, and then use UOAs to compare/contrast lube performance, you're just "feeling" your way through this. And that's OK; there's nothing wrong with that. But there is not one shred of "help" we can offer because it's hard to see emotion on a UOA ... You're not alone; LOTS of people do this. They "feel" (aka "want", in this case) something to happen, but they have no idea how they are going to successfully measure the competitors or quantify results. Hence, it's all about opinions and not about facts.

Your choice; either feel or think your way through this.

Originally Posted By: m37charlie

Delo Synthetic 5W30 meets 228.51, NOT 229.51!!! There is a substantial difference.
228.51 oils have comparable or even more detergency compared to 228.31 (CJ4) but lower Zn/P/S, and are based on ACEA E6.
229.51 oils because S and ash is even more limited tend to have very low TBNs - like 6 instead of 10. They are based on ACEA C3.
There are 228.51 oils with starting TBNs of 12, like Delvac XHP LE (not available in N. America). http://www.mobil.com/Latvia-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_XHP_LE_10W-40.aspx

Charlie

Doh!
33.gif
Good catch Charlie... I apologize. I got my 228 and 229's mixed up. My bad. Good looking out and clearing that up.

I have an '15 Super Duty, second oil change within a week or two, I will post UOA. I changed factory fill per IOLM (roughly 7,500 mi.) and now has Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30. I am very curious with regens if I can extend OC's, I'm guessing no but I will let UOA do the talking.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I have an '15 Super Duty, second oil change within a week or two, I will post UOA. I changed factory fill per IOLM (roughly 7,500 mi.) and now has Deere Plus 50 II 10w-30. I am very curious with regens if I can extend OC's, I'm guessing no but I will let UOA do the talking.

Does your new Powerstroke regen anywhere near as often as the OP's truck? That seems crazy to regen so much, but I guess if a truck that capable isn't being worked hard, I suppose it could be expected.

Mine has been between 500-700 mi., but 95% of my miles are driven on the highway. I know fuel quality also plays an important role in how often it needs to regen.

Yeah... shorter trips, more starting & stopping, etc. will play a BIG role in how often it regens because of the extra soot (diesel are more efficient when warmed up). I had a 2011 Jetta TDI that would regen about every 500mi - 700mi as well... but I also drove primarily highway miles. If it's a short tripper that can't get warmed up, and is rarely pushed hard, then it will have to regen much more frequently to clear the soot from the DPF. I also agree with the fuel quality statement... I found that higher cetane values helped mine as well (premium diesel if it's available, or an additive such as Diesel Kleen).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 6.7 has a diesel injector directly in the DPF instead of utilizing post-injection like my Jetta did? If that's the case... constant regens aren't as problematic.

Originally Posted By: sdude2k2000
Yeah... shorter trips, more starting & stopping, etc. will play a BIG role in how often it regens because of the extra soot (diesel are more efficient when warmed up). I had a 2011 Jetta TDI that would regen about every 500mi - 700mi as well... but I also drove primarily highway miles. If it's a short tripper that can't get warmed up, and is rarely pushed hard, then it will have to regen much more frequently to clear the soot from the DPF. I also agree with the fuel quality statement... I found that higher cetane values helped mine as well (premium diesel if it's available, or an additive such as Diesel Kleen).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 6.7 has a diesel injector directly in the DPF instead of utilizing post-injection like my Jetta did? If that's the case... constant regens aren't as problematic.

The 6.7 doesn't use a 9th injector, it uses "post injection", or injecting fuel into the exhaust stroke. I haven't heard of any horror stories with the 6.7 as it seems Ford has the emissions system for the most part working as it should.

My BP diesel supreme is supposed to be minimum 47 cetane, and then with the additive I am adding I don't know if I'm increasing cetane or not, but I use it for moisture control and I've never had any in any of my fuel filters/water separators.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1

The 6.7 doesn't use a 9th injector, it uses "post injection", or injecting fuel into the exhaust stroke. I haven't heard of any horror stories with the 6.7 as it seems Ford has the emissions system for the most part working as it should.

My BP diesel supreme is supposed to be minimum 47 cetane, and then with the additive I am adding I don't know if I'm increasing cetane or not, but I use it for moisture control and I've never had any in any of my fuel filters/water separators.

I HATE in-cylinder post injection as it creates fuel dilution issues by default... and it will only get worse as many states move more and more towards higher BIO blends (bio won't flash off in the crankcase). I thought Ford used the 9th injector with the 6.7... guess I was wrong. That means only the Duramax does it as the Cummins also uses in-cylinder post injection. That being said, I agree that the 6.7 doesn't typically have horror stories thank goodness (beyond the occasional HPFP failure that any common-rail can suffer from - this is also where quality fuel is important). It's a good engine that should serve both you and the OP very well for hopefully years to come.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
So glad I don't own one of these modern diesels!

Some of them are really a pain, we had so many problems with Citroen Hdi with Dpf.
Yet some others are just like a 1993 Honda. They just keep going and going, and being very economical while doing that.

Originally Posted By: CrazyMike
All seem fine early on but once I get to 2,500-3000 miles it really kicks In every 3-4 days.

It sounds here like you're trying to find an oil that will reduce the amount of trap regens your truck does. While I suppose some lube oil will contribute to soot in the exhaust, it is the amount of fuel burned that contributes mostly to soot. If your engine is burning enough oil to effect it, the engine has a problem.

Be careful out there, I hear that some of those potholes in BC are bad enough to make the particulate trap fall off.
wink.gif

Last edited:
It's CRAZY how expensive an oil change for that truck is.

According to documentation the engine with filter change takes 13 quarts. Mobil 1 5W-40 Turbo Diesel is $26.83 per gallon at Walmart here in the USA. If the OP goes with a Mobil 1 oil filter (M1-405), that filter is $30.

The OP is looking at ~$145USD just in oil and a filter. YIKES!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back