Firestone Destination LE2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent most of my life as a tire snob (worst example - Michelin XWX's on a Mazda RX2, big wheels, changed to Pirelli CN36's, little wheels. Lordy, the noise... ). But I've gotten better over time. I bought the Destination LE2's for the SUV in 245/65-17 in June 2014 and they have proven to be a great choice. Absolutely no need to go to the Michelins out of habit. And they have been excellent in the wet which is my defining criteria in a tire. Sorry to be a post hog. No more today.

Last edited:
Looks like it gets 4/5 stars on Tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=245%2F&ratio=65&diameter=17&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=

I just put set of destinations on the titan.

I was quite happy with my pirelli scorpions, but at 7 years old they weren't worn out but rock hard, and rather than risk a blowout towing high dollar toys I bought new rubber.

I would have rebought scorpions if they still made them in this size so I went with destinations which were the highest rated replacement I could find.

We'll see.....

I put 4 on my 4Runner and so far, so good, almost 10K miles.

A surprise for me is how good they are doing on unpaved roads and trails in the desert while pulling a heavy trailer.

The OEM tires were Michelin Cross Terrains. I was very happy with those tires. When it came time to replace them, I was told they did not make them any more and tried Michelin LTX M/S 2. What a mistake. They were noisy and bumpy and Discount Tire had to replace 2 of them under warranty in just a couple of thousand miles.

That's what lead me to the Firestones and again, so far, so good.

CN 36's, XWX's.....the only one you missed was Semperit 401's.

I did have a set of Dunlop D1's back in the day that were so sticky you needed a spatula to change a tire.

Firestone Destination LE2's are great tires.

The only problem I have with them is Firestone doesn't make them in Toyota's quirky 285/60-18 OE size.

I can't wait to see how they perform at 6/32", when the tread pattern looks like this, and most of the siping in the tread has disappeared.

55078_1.JPG

Apologies to have brought this up again covering old ground from earlier thread. I actually did a search but... I'm gonna have to practice better discipline. Loss of the siping will likely affect the "all season" aspect more than overall performance but time will tell. At least they start at 12/32 so it may be awhile in my case.

#SilverC6 - - But using them on an RX-2? The shame, the shame! Strangely they did not make the car go as fast as Daytona or, in the case of the CN36's, even a lowly Fiat Dino.... ;-)

I put 4 of these on my Jeep. No complaints either. I got them for $460 out the door and installed them after work hours on my steel wheels

I like they much better than the MS/2's on trucks. Much cheaper and perform about the same.

They were $760 on my truck verses $1,050-$960 for the MS/2's again.

I really want to like the LE2s, but after two sets that I'm not happy with, I don't think that I'd buy them again:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3722807/1

I really want to like them, but they flat-spot bad after just a day or two of not driving them, and the vibrations continue to come and go.

The Michelin Latitudes that these replaced didn't exhibit any of these problems, so I'm pretty sure that the vibrations are in the tires and not in the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I can't wait to see how they perform at 6/32", when the tread pattern looks like this, and most of the siping in the tread has disappeared.

55078_1.JPG

I'm there now. I have more than 6/32" but less than the picture shows. They will probably be done this winter. Surprisingly enough I really can't tell much of a difference. It may be because they are only 3 years old and the rubber may not have become age-hardened badly yet. These tires have done everything I asked them to do.

The only issue I have had is some minor "growling" after a bad experience towing heavy in the mountains with a ton of brake use. they wore into some sawtooth-shaped treadwear that has been stubborn to go away with multiple rotations. not really the tire's fault.

I put these on our 2002 Tahoe a little over 2yrs and about 18,000 miles ago. The first 3 sets of tires (including the OEMs) would last 40-45k. Based on how these look at 18k, I expect 50-60k. They seem great all around, quiet and composed. The OEM tires were Goodyears.. I think the other sets were Kumhos and then Yoko Geolanders. I recall those tires as being fine actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back