Powder coat or replace??

Status
Not open for further replies.
The alloy wheels on my wife's 2011 Camry se began to corrode under the clear coat within not long after we bought the car. I did a little googling and found this was common on toyotas and Lexus in northern cold weather climates and many had luck with replacement under warranty. I brought the issue to the dealers attention on a re-flash recall visit. There supposed to "check with a regional rep and get back to me", still waiting on that call. Several months later I checked with another dealer who fed me same line. This time I followed up on them being as we were approaching 20k miles into the 36k bumper to bumper. The regional Toyota rep claimed the corrosion was "due to outside forces" and therefore not covered under warranty. I do most all of my own servicing and we bought the car "certified" with 5k on it, so I doubt either stealership went to bat for me. I was given a 1800 # to call Toyota customer care or whatever, who basically told me I'd have to take them to court to get any coverage for my issue. Out of three toyotas in the past, this is our first U.S. built Toyota (and last Toyota) and I can't stand to look at it. (Rant done)
The tires are getting a little thin at 30k and I recently had a valve stem break off while trying to remove a siezed stainless cap to check tire pressure. All four wheels are showing the corrosion and they seem to be getting worse. I'm debating on spending the $400 to have the factory wheels blasted and powder coated silver or for about $375 I can buy a set of attractive aftermarket alloys from DTD?

The quality of aftermarket wheels varies from super scary dangerous to really good, but you know that the oem wheels are solid. Unless you're upgrading to a really nice set I like the powder coat option. The

For a little bit more you can just get brand new aftermarket rims. Then sell the old rims on ebay to someone who lives up north who needs a set for winter rims.

I'd probably just have them refinished for the $400. Unless you're a little handy and can diy. Which would prob save $350 or so.

Wife's 2001 Avalon has badly corroded alloy rims and has been like this since we bought it used with 36,000 miles at 7 years old. Figure it's the road salt used in NY. Strange but it doesn't bother her.

Wonder if you could take your problem to arbitration, like Better Business Bureau arbitration program.

Last edited:
You could also strip the clear off with oven cleaner, sand, primer, and paint them yourself for a fraction of the cost. That would be my choice. You would have to have the tires off and valve stems and sensors removed to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back