Opinions on Homak Top Chest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy y'all. I'm doing some reorganizing in my garage and want to buy a decent top chest. The type of box that usually would go on top of a roller cabinet, although I plan to put it on a heavy duty shelf next to a workbanch. I don't want to spend Snap-On money, but neither do I want a piece of Chinese junk either.

I found a Homak box that is 27x17(deep)x17(high) that looks like a candidate for me. http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200580584_200580584 It weighs 100 lbs and looks pretty durable. Reading online reviews, the biggest complaint is that it tends to get dented during shipping. Anybody have any experience with this chest, or one of a similar size and price?

I have Homak gun cabinets and the build quality is excellent, but I'm pretty sure that most of their products are now made in China if that bothers you.

100 lbs is the shipping weight, not product weight.

Shipping weight is often fictional in order to drive up S&H costs to the consumer, and profit for the seller.

Try to find out the actual weight.

Homak has some good products, you just need to feel them out and see if it is up to your standards. Over the last year I purchased 3 of their big dawg rollers for my work and they are excellent. It also helped that Kennedy in Ohio produced them, not joe bob or etc... in China.

The key to a good cabinet is a thick gauge metal, heavy duty rollers (not in your case) and good ball bearing drawer slides. Everything else is just preference.

I would question your idea to put this on a shelf in your garage. It may not weight a lot empty but once filled, it may cause issues especially if you close the top and 'slam' it shut...... Just be careful.

U.S. General from Harbor Freight is tough to beat for home use. Their 26" box is rated at 120 lb capacity per drawer. I don't know if you can buy just the top box. $370 for top and bottom and there are always coupon codes or sales going on. If you have a Harbor Freight near by they are certainly worth a look. Some of their products are decent quality and some of them are just plain cheap!

Originally Posted By: dubie2003
Homak has some good products, you just need to feel them out and see if it is up to your standards. Over the last year I purchased 3 of their big dawg rollers for my work and they are excellent. It also helped that Kennedy in Ohio produced them, not joe bob or etc... in China.

The key to a good cabinet is a thick gauge metal, heavy duty rollers (not in your case) and good ball bearing drawer slides. Everything else is just preference.

I would question your idea to put this on a shelf in your garage. It may not weight a lot empty but once filled, it may cause issues especially if you close the top and 'slam' it shut...... Just be careful.

I thought I saw 'made in China' on a Homak while in NT......

I think Sears advertises Made HERE on some of their boxes. Just ask if tou want to hear more about one I bought in 2011

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I thought I saw 'made in China' on a Homak while in NT......

I think Sears advertises Made HERE on some of their boxes. Just ask if tou want to hear more about one I bought in 2011

Yes, would like to know more about the box you bought.

Got it the local Sears/Craftsman store before they went belly-up. I was working and making a good wage and didnt really consider a chest/cabinet from a different store/vendor. While in store it was difficult choosing from the wide array of boxes. Then I unknowingly pinched the part where the lock is on the chest where the door shuts and started twisting. This showed me, pretty ignorant of difference in quality and sturdiness, which was stronger and used thicker metal.

I got the midlevel combo, about $330 for both, in red/black. I wanted the all red but just got what was in stock.

Go ahead and get the cut to fit drawer liners. I got the good ones for the chest and the cheap ones that need cutting for the cabinet. I regret "saving" that few bucks and will redo that with the good liners when I get the funds.

Moving on....

My combo is stationary and I have moved it probably just a few feet in the time I have owned it, so I cannot comment on the quality of the casters and such, but,the unit is a bit flimsy, drawer pulls flex when you pull them, the top lid can come crashing down anytime, BUT, it is a very nice piece. It holds all my tools and a small amount of rust gets through as my shed is kindof humid and ank. This toolbox is verynice to me and I enjoy it. It looks real nice and Ikeep it clean and waxed and drawer slides oiled with whatever oil is on hand.

It is made here! Missouri I believe! There is numbers on the top drawers that you can call Waterloo with and they will tell you where it is built.

Of course it is not a professional cabinet, but it was a very good price and should last many decades, if decently cared for. Sears will sell you a much nicer cabinet, the H-D one I like and seems real nice and ismore $$$ of course.

The only toolbox I would value over a USA made Craftsman is a Kennedy USmade one.

I see flyers pretty regularly with Sears selling what seems to be the same combo I got for about the same price. Poor Craftsman can barely give away good quality homegrown tools for about a fifth what tool trucks charge. I hate to see they have to compete with HF now for bottom dollar tools. I wish they could survice on near tool truck quality at like, a quarter,of the price......for the enthusiast or homeowner, but cheap Chinese and the internet may betheir demise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back