Redesigned 2016 Silverado

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because it was *****. I couldn't believe how ugly it was when it first came out. This version is much better. Looks like they'll be expanding the 8-speed to more trim levels as well.

I like GM trucks and have had several over the years but the new redesign 2 years ago was just awful. The front grill looked like a piece of chain link fence to me. This front end looks better but is certainly no beauty queen.

Originally Posted By: kam327
Because it was *****. I couldn't believe how ugly it was when it first came out.

Hahaha, my thoughts exactly!

I'm sorry but I think that's good looking. A tad overdone on the lack of chrome (it's kind of a thing for trucks), and some odd lines, but it's not a huge pile of wavy chrome on the front at least.

Last edited:
Oooooh Infotainment. And I hope they kept those awesome rust rot out corners on the cab that they have been working so hard on perfecting for years. I love that rugged look of a rusted out cab with black weatherstripping dangling Lois on the highway.

GM always facelifts their trucks half way threw the model cycle. No idea why they bumped it up a year or two on this one.

When I was looking for one the rumor mill on the forums was that this model might be cut a bit short and they were going to jump on Ford's aluminum bandwagon. Which would suck for Ford because they will go back to being 500 pounds lighter.

Last edited:
Looks worse than the current one to me. They just couldn't help themselves and had to stick those cheap, cheesy LED strips in the lights. What a design cop out.

Looks like the grille is even bigger now too.

I thought that for a modern truck, they actually did a pretty good job on the current one. I felt it was a big improvement over the '07-'13, and the stacked headlamps and rectangular grille were reminiscent of Chevy trucks from 1981-2002. It's too bad they're going to stick LEDs all over it and make it look more like the SUVs.

The super chrome look was one of the reasons I went with a Ram. The Sport model has no chrome anywhere except a tiny little grille insert.

I have always been amazed at how light my Silverados are compared to similarly equipped Fords. You pay for all that heft every day of that vehicle's life...

Originally Posted By: used_0il
The GMCs became "*****" because they copied the monstrous Ford look.
"*****" from the online dictionary means Ford ugly.

Never miss a chance eh? In case anybody took you seriously it of course is the f-bomb not Ford
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: used_0il
The GMCs became "*****" because they copied the monstrous Ford look.
"*****" from the online dictionary means Ford ugly.

When truck shopping Chev/GM was last on my list
wink.gif

Nothing visually appealing there what so ever!

I won't say it looks bad, but it just doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the truck. The front grill/hood are really getting cluttered with many body lines and angles, but the sides of the truck look flat and boring.
I really like the '99-'02 body style the best over the newer looking trucks GM makes. Those model year HD hoods looked awesome! That's why I hope to have my '00 Silverado rust free and running good for years to come. Simple look with subtle body lines and smooth corners. Now they look very blocky with creases and sharp corners. I honestly thought the rear quarter panels were dented on a new 2014 truck already at the dealer, but after looking closer, the body lines just make it look that way.

Sometimes classy designs don't have to mean over the top with everything. The 2016 Silverado refresh is getting to look a little busy IMO. I hope the brand, brand new 2018 Silverado gets some curves back....

Well modern trucks are all pretty ugly looking.

FCA is kicking the 2015 Ram off the ugly tree with the 2016 grill. Interestingly on the forums that 2016 grill or the threat of it at the time caused a lot of people to buy 15's instead of waiting. Me included. Good sales tactic!

landscape_nrm_1420752759-rm015_034fn.jpg

I'm sure the 2016 forum will have an active thread on fitting 15 grills to it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tzu
I won't say it looks bad, but it just doesn't seem to flow with the rest of the truck. The front grill/hood are really getting cluttered with many body lines and angles, but the sides of the truck look flat and boring.
I really like the '99-'02 body style the best over the newer looking trucks GM makes. Those model year HD hoods looked awesome! That's why I hope to have my '00 Silverado rust free and running good for years to come. Simple look with subtle body lines and smooth corners. Now they look very blocky with creases and sharp corners. I honestly thought the rear quarter panels were dented on a new 2014 truck already at the dealer, but after looking closer, the body lines just make it look that way.

Sometimes classy designs don't have to mean over the top with everything. The 2016 Silverado refresh is getting to look a little busy IMO. I hope the brand, brand new 2018 Silverado gets some curves back....

The biggest downside of a modern truck is the sheet metal is to thin. They blew them up to big, jacked them to high, now to save weight they sheath them in beer cans.

So if you actually work the truck your either are going to live with all the dents or treat it like your loading 2x4's into an Audi A8.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back