Ford moves C-Max and Focus out of U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad
frown.gif

For some reason, I just couldn't make myself buy a car made in Mexico. Canada, Korea, Japan, German, Thailand ... not a problem

The Focus was made in Mexico for a long time. My mom's Fusion was made in Mexico and the quality is arguably better than the ones that are coming out of the Auto Alliance plant now. The build quality on my USA made Mustang is pathetic.

Maybe, maybe, fingers and toes crossed, they will move the Falcon production to Michigan. That is the only acceptable option right now.

Yup, the Focus is going to back to Mexico.

The C-Max will probably be sourced from Spain, where they already make them fro the European market.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
UAW strikes again!

In Mexico you can pay them $5 an hour, no benefits and they are very happy.

Corporate America wants every last penny of profit, that's how the game is played.

One of the reasons I like and admire Tesla, instead of building $5 billion dollars Megafactory in a low cost country to have more profit, they build it here in Nevada. They also produce all their vehicles here in California and export to many countries oversea.

Which do you like better, a company keeps jobs in US and export final products to the world or a company export jobs everywhere and import cheaper products to have higher profit ?

It seems like I have read a lot of articles the last year or so about car companies investing in factories in Mexico. Not just the domestic companies either. It is sad for the people who work at the factories here in the US.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Yup, the Focus is going to back to Mexico.

The C-Max will probably be sourced from Spain, where they already make them fro the European market.

Makes sense to me to build a car in ONE place. Then ship it out as needed. Seems like you'd get economies of scale. I've heard of multiple factories making the same car, or engines, yet do you really save much on shipping costs? I guess tariffs play a big role though.

I worked at Ford Design center on ranger program. You have to keep in mind the vehicles are sold abroad in expanding market. Making them regionally abroad yes costs less and also the product costs less to purchase.

2 reasons it costs less Taxes and labor. Our MASSIVE expanding government has the highest corporate tax on the planet. So that free stuff your favorite politician sprinkles on everyone and anyone is costing jobs here. Do you want free stuff or a decent job?

Labor ...The 3rd world people can do a better job for less money plain and simple. And UAW are a barrier to the bad apples being removed here. Look at the turnaround of Detroit Diesel.

Both these things are a result of our forgetting how this country was built. To blame big rich evil corporations is a mentality that removes YOUR responsibility in the situation and relegates you to innocent victim which is just not the case.

Last edited:
Si The corporations greed for the maximum profit and the mindless consumers always spells disaster. That and Toyota's plunge of the quality that was their selling point.

I've been pondering this for a while. While we would like to see manufacturing stay in the US AND pay good wages, say what you will, but we aren't willing to pay premiums for the product to support that. In the 1930's we tried protectionism with tariffs and it had disastrous results.

Are large wage differentials sustainable between US and other developing countries? Isn't there a certain sense of inevitability that workers in developing countries will get better, i.e. more productive and to some degree ask for higher wages and whether it is 20 or fifty years from now, wages adjusted for productivity won't be that different in the US vs e.g. Mexico? Higher Wage demands are happening now in China. I don't hear a lot about wage advantages in Japan anymore.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
Small cars have always = small profits.

That was kind of my thinking as well. People expect small cars to cost significantly less, but from a labor perspective, it doesn't really cost any less to make a small car than it is to make a larger car. So, how do you make that small car cost a lot less? You move the labor south of the border.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
One of the reasons I like and admire Tesla, instead of building $5 billion dollars Megafactory in a low cost country to have more profit, they build it here in Nevada. They also produce all their vehicles here in California and export to many countries oversea.

Which do you like better, a company keeps jobs in US and export final products to the world or a company export jobs everywhere and import cheaper products to have higher profit ?

Are the Teslas made with domestic parts,or foreign parts like GMs and Fords? I know nothing about Tesla so I honestly have no idea,just curious.

Originally Posted By: Burt
I've been pondering this for a while. While we would like to see manufacturing stay in the US AND pay good wages, say what you will, but we aren't willing to pay premiums for the product to support that. In the 1930's we tried protectionism with tariffs and it had disastrous results.

Yet Germany has had some pretty good results with it
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back