Adding water to car fuel tank, crazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read of many people introducing water and chemicals (seafoam) to their intake directly to supposedly clean their combustion chambers, specifically using water injection as it's proven to increase decrease temps in the correct application, I know that you have to use the correct vacuum line to get equal distribution and many say that it's impossible to equally distribute said water/chemicals, has anybody just added water to the gas tank and am I crazy for even asking, let's say you add a light oil like Marvel Mystery oil after adding the water to negate any corrosion , is it physically impossible as the water would just sit at the bottom of the gas tank since it's heavier than the gasoline and ruin the fuel pump? and if the water did somehow make it to the injectors could that be a steam cleaning through the injectors and intake?

Water injection has been through its own nozzle, specifically timed, for a reason. The tech's been around since WWII and before.

But it doesn't mix with gas. It barely mixes with the alcohol in gas. Sure it would slosh around, mix up, and get slurped up, but it would be a lot at a time, not a separately atomized metered stream.

To redneck it, drill a hole in your intake tubing and run the windshield washer hose in there and tape it up. Cover hole when done. WW fluid is half methanol, half water, and will also work for the steam clean/ decarb/ octane boost you're after.

Originally Posted By: zach1900
I have read of many people introducing water and chemicals (seafoam) to their intake directly to supposedly clean their combustion chambers, specifically using water injection as it's proven to increase decrease temps in the correct application, I know that you have to use the correct vacuum line to get equal distribution and many say that it's impossible to equally distribute said water/chemicals, has anybody just added water to the gas tank and am I crazy for even asking, let's say you add a light oil like Marvel Mystery oil after adding the water to negate any corrosion , is it physically impossible as the water would just sit at the bottom of the gas tank since it's heavier than the gasoline and ruin the fuel pump? and if the water did somehow make it to the injectors could that be a steam cleaning through the injectors and intake?
Just buy some Techron, Zach.

I've added Gumout/Techron/Sl-1 many times and it seems to stop the spark knock? only on that tank then it comes back, otherwise the car runs beautifully to the point that sometimes I have to look at the tachometer to see it still running, are some cars just prone to spark knock/detonation on heavy acceleration? car is in sig.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: zach1900
Just buy some Techron, Zach.

I like your directness!

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Have you tried 89 octane?

Yes I've tried 91 Octane too, the knock is so intermittent and only under heavy acceleration 4K RPM from a stop, then it stops,in other words I almost have to make force it to knock/detonate, I have to have it sniff tested and safety tested in a few days so I will probably just leave it alone for now. I use BP and Phillips 66 gas almost exclusively.

Last edited:
No you're not crazy at all. I'm not endorsing, neither recommending, ok? The idea is Good to clean O2 sensor and catalist in a highway trip. To put a lil water (like a pint to 15 gallons max!) on fuel, you should be running something like E85, or it could phase separate. The most alcohol the best for the mixing homogenuity. Of course you need to mix outside the tank in a 5gallon container and then pour it down, don't throw directly. Never add water to E0 or Diesel, it will separate imediatelly.
I did a few times with E27 we have in here, and burn it all in 4-5 hours, then refilled. Spark plugs and exhaust downstreem parts became much cleaner from the vapors.
A side note: fuel injectors don't like this, done once for each car, and forgot it.

Last edited:
Get on it when the air is at 90% relative humidity. That moisture gets sucked into the engine and doesn't go away.

I had water in the gas tank of my lawn mower recently after a rain. It just sat at the bottom of the tank. I had to dump everything out.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Get on it when the air is at 90% relative humidity. That moisture gets sucked into the engine and doesn't go away.

You could just take out your air filter when it's raining. You'll notice it's set up so the dirty air comes at it from below... water would also bounce off the paper and then find its way out some tiny hole in the bottom of the box.

Don't hit any huge puddles, the wave of water could hydrolock the engine.

When I was a kid and hearing and reading some about aircraft water injection, I connected the windshield washer hose to a point above my quadrajet on my 70 Buick 455 (10.5/1 comp) and hit the button when I was flooring it. It went slower.
Too much I guess. It didn't knock though
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back