Best oil to free collapsed/sticky lifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0.

Was ran low on oil by a family member (I keep saying gotta check it but no one listens).

Topped off the oil, has a ticking noise now. Probed around with a stethescope, pretty certain it's a collapsed lifter. No major knock as there would be with a busted piston skirt, main bearing, wrist pin, etc. Makes sense... Mashed it down with no oil pressure. Vehicle has seen a steady diet of valvoline synpower 5w30.

Looking for ideas on anything I can use to get it to re inflate again. Whether it be a specific oil, specific base stock, additive, etc. Maybe a PAO oil that will allow for a little bit of seal shrinkage to get it moving again? MMO or Seafoam? Drive it around at higher RPM for a few miles to get some high oil pressure?

Pretty much a last ditch before I have to fuss with pulling the head to replace lifters and all that entails

Oil xtreme. lol

I dunno if anything like seafoam or oil would help honestly.

I think you mentioned the Italian tune up.

At least it's a 4.0. Easy to work on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SnowDrifter
2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0.

Was ran low on oil by a family member (I keep saying gotta check it but no one listens).

Topped off the oil, has a ticking noise now. Probed around with a stethescope, pretty certain it's a collapsed lifter. No major knock as there would be with a busted piston skirt, main bearing, wrist pin, etc. Makes sense... Mashed it down with no oil pressure. Vehicle has seen a steady diet of valvoline synpower 5w30.

Looking for ideas on anything I can use to get it to re inflate again. Whether it be a specific oil, specific base stock, additive, etc. Maybe a PAO oil that will allow for a little bit of seal shrinkage to get it moving again? MMO or Seafoam? Drive it around at higher RPM for a few miles to get some high oil pressure?

Pretty much a last ditch before I have to fuss with pulling the head to replace lifters and all that entails

If you kept telling them to check the oil and add if it needed it, and they didn't... I'd tell them they're SOL for being an idiot, and let them deal with their own car issues.

But, you're not me, and you seem to be someone willing to help them. Seeing as such, here's my advice to to this:

619bAxuJQIL._SL1152_.jpg

And use a Wix 51085 oil filter.

If that don't work, nothing will, and you'll be tearing that engine open.

~ Triton

Well, since it has seen a steady diet of Synpower, why not her hotter sister: Maxlife Full-Synthetic?
wink.gif
I'm not a fan of additives, so MFS is my vote. I agree with Triton on the Wix.

Maxlife Full-Synthetic + Wix =
01.gif

Originally Posted By: anndel
...Try Lucas oil additive...
06.gif
31.gif

This is where I stopped reading.

Maybe a PAO oil that will allow for a little bit of seal shrinkage to get it moving again?

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
2002 Jeep Wrangler 4.0.

If you kept telling them to check the oil and add if it needed it, and they didn't... I'd tell them they're SOL for being an idiot, and let them deal with their own car issues.

But, you're not me, and you seem to be someone willing to help them. Seeing as such, here's my advice to to this:

619bAxuJQIL._SL1152_.jpg

And use a Wix 51085 oil filter.

If that don't work, nothing will, and you'll be tearing that engine open.

~ Triton

Be warned. I have this in my Regal right now. Once I put it in the lifter started to tick. Drained out some and put in half a quart of MMO and it went away. I think the heavier grade of 10w30 caused it and the MMO pretty much proved it to me.

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Maybe a PAO oil that will allow for a little bit of seal shrinkage to get it moving again?

+1

I'd just use some HDEO along with 1 to 1.5 quarts of Marvel's Mystery Oil (MMO) added to the crankcase. I've had good experiences with this.

I had a noisy lifter in my 318i. Tired everything, it lived a life of syn oil, used mmo, Kreen, etc.

Finally I gave up. The last shot before replacing it, I idled the car with a dose of B-12 chemtool in there. Threads on using it for engine cleaning can be found in here.

That fixed it.

If you search the web, lots of jeep 4.0 owners swear by the "Restore" stuff in the silver can to help keep noisy lifters silent. I've used a mini dose in mine and have been pleased as well.

It could be a broken piston ... That's going to be the right year range for a broken piston.

I don't know what this noise is on mine, but if I heat the engine up enough and let it run at the redline for 30 seconds or so, or even up to a few minutes in snow/mud, it goes away completely. A few weeks ago, I was driving 70 or so on the highway in the high heat and it was running at 220 for about 50 minutes and it was quiet when I got home.

That goes in line with what they say to do with stuck lifters. NAXJA member 5-90 says to get it up to temperature with some light oil, then run it at 3500, 4000 for a few minutes to pump it back up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emcfq3BnlzY

Disclainer: I have not owned anything with hydraulic lifters for 25 years. But when I did, (And they were mostly old and abused) the only product that I had any success quieting sticky lifters was Rislone.

The last vehicle with such lifters I owned was an original Toyota Van. The oil pressure sending unit failed, and dumped the lifeblood on the road. When I replaced said sensor, and filled it back up, it took maybe 30 minutes for those things to shut back up. But shut up, they did.

Never been a fan of additives either but with our Aurora I did try a bunch of stuff to curb the oil burning (with no improvement). One thing I noticed is after Seafoaming and MMO (at seperate times) in the crank, and a Seafoam vacuum intake treatment I had a little tick noise. This was wholey resolved when I did a Kreen treatment (virtually immmediately, actually). Though like I said none of this helped the oil burning.

FWIW, car runs great, much better than before the treatments. Gets 28+ mpg highway (EPA rated for 26) with 152,000 miles and stock. Running Rotella T5 10w30 which is still clean now after about 2000 miles.

Take the valve cover off and spray carb cleaner inside the valves pushrods holes and run it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oil Changer

Yeah that one is off the scale for ridiculous, there are no seals in a lifter, all steel and/or iron...

And this one is just as bad, valves aren't going to burn because they're maybe moving .100" less than normal... AND if it were burned, no miracle in a can will fix it...

Originally Posted By: anndel
Maybe a burned valve due to the low oil. Try Lucas oil additive or maybe a Seafoam treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back