Bell Performance Ethanol Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found an interesting video while perusing Youtube.

My question is does Gumout complete fuel system cleaner, Techron, Redline SL-1 etc take care of the accumulation of water in the gas tank from E10 or ethanol fuels?

My 2nd question is,has anyone tried Bell Performance Ethanol Defense?

I would only be interested in the Bell product if Gumout and the more popular fuel system cleaners don't do a good job with water that accumulates in the gas tank from the use of E10.

Thanks.
smile.gif

There will be no water in the gas tank with E10 gas. One gallon of alcohol for 9 gallons of gas. The water will be absorbed by the alcohol.

The only exception is when you have enough water that combines with the alcohol and phase separation occurs. In that case everything in the tank is no longer usable and needs to be disposed of.

Quote:
Where's all of this water coming from???

In theory humidity gets pulled right out of the air, then condenses, similar to performance break fluid. Seems that once the fuel cap is on that would be minimized though.

First line he says "Working for bell performance"

this is an ad.

Oh and his name badge says

"truck body, paint technician"

Last edited:
This guy (vintage Chevy truck owner) claims if he buys some E10 (I guess) and lets it sit over night it separates and there's water at the bottom of the container.

Ethanol is more problem than solution in my book.

Ethenol Shield?

Originally Posted By: Joenpb
This guy (vintage Chevy truck owner) claims if he buys some E10 (I guess) and lets it sit over night it separates and there's water at the bottom of the container.

Ethenol Shield?

Well where is the water comping from?

It take a lot of water for phase separation to occur, it will not happen overnight because of humidity.

E10 gas should not be a problem for cars driven regularly.

My issue with E10 is wasting corn and energy making ethanol.

Ethanol is hygroscopic.

Quote:
Hygroscopy is the ability of a substance to attract and hold water molecules from the surrounding environment. This is achieved through absorption....

The fuel tank probably has some air in it. It sucks air in when the cap is removed for fueling and as fuel goes in gets pushed out. The cycle repeats every fill up. I see this as a problem that takes time & might not be noticed for years, then kaput.....

It might be an issue with non-stabilized fuels left for years. For cars that consume fuel regularly, it won't be an issue.

For outdoor power equipment like rototillers or other equipment that is often not used but once or twice a year, a product like this might have some value.

Originally Posted By: Donald

Ethenol Shield?

This! This is the real problem with ethanol gas. It is the tax dollars that are being given to farmers that produce corn for ethanol production. It is the tax dollars being spent to develop ethanol production. It is that E10 gas lowers fuel economy. And, it is that we are tying up agriculture production to put alcohol into our fuel tanks. Did I mention that this is government subsidized production?

Alcohol absorbs water. The cheap fuel dry products people buy to remove water from their gas tank is alcohol. It absorbs the water and is burnt off during combustion. I always felt that ethanol in fuel would nullify any water in the tank and the need for and additive to remove moisture. If its sitting for long periods of time and the moisture becomes too much to absorb thats another issue. In summary, i'm not worried about water in my tank and won't be buying any products to remove the nonexistent water.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Originally Posted By: Donald

Ethenol Shield?

This! This is the real problem with ethanol gas. It is the tax dollars that are being given to farmers that produce corn for ethanol production. It is the tax dollars being spent to develop ethanol production. It is that E10 gas lowers fuel economy. And, it is that we are tying up agriculture production to put alcohol into our fuel tanks. Did I mention that this is government subsidized production?

Farmers and subsidies aren't the reason for ethanol. Environmental regulations are. Fuel must contain an oxygenate in order to reduce air pollution. This used to be accomplished with the use of MTBE, but there were problems with it contaminating water supplies, so ethanol was considered a more environmentally friendly option. Loosen the tin foil hat a little. If it weren't for clean air we wouldn't need ethanol, it has nothing to do with farmers.

I see the answer to base separation as this;

When you go to the petrol station, don't fill your vehicle but fill 2 or 3 large jerry cans. Leave them out overnight and in the morning (if any seperation has occurred) you can siphon the fuel off the top and leave the water in the cans.
Maybe even take the water back to e gas station and demand a refund! You bought gas and they spiked it with water so you want your money back! (worth it just to see the look on the attendants face!)

Um guys??? There is no water problem with todays gas. All vehicle fuel systems are sealed. When you fuel your car, the fuel going in pushes air out. No water vapor enters the tank.

Think about it........

Originally Posted By: bvance554

Farmers and subsidies aren't the reason for ethanol. Environmental regulations are. Fuel must contain an oxygenate in order to reduce air pollution. This used to be accomplished with the use of MTBE, but there were problems with it contaminating water supplies, so ethanol was considered a more environmentally friendly option. Loosen the tin foil hat a little. If it weren't for clean air we wouldn't need ethanol, it has nothing to do with farmers.

that maybe, but corn is one of i not the least efficient things to make ethanol from. one of the reasons so much of our ethanol comes from corn is that with the subsides and tax breaks, we have created/funded a rather powerful corn ethanol Lobby group, that will fight to keep US production into corn, and funding away from developing other sources.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Um guys??? There is no water problem with todays gas. All vehicle fuel systems are sealed. When you fuel your car, the fuel going in pushes air out. No water vapor enters the tank.

Think about it........

You might want to think what happens when the fuel pump pumps the fuel out of the tank...the tank doesn't suck in like a deflated balloon, something replaces the fuel that was once there.

Think about it...what replaces the fuel, and what does it contain ?

Then as the tank heats up and cools, rather than puffing and shrinking, as the fuel and air expand/contract, the tank breathes...

Think about it...

Yes, that certainly can be a problem. I've been lucky, and been using E0 through the winters, not to mention keeping my tank full. Having the G37 outside for hours in -30 C and then hanging another 12 or more hours in a +10 C garage is a recipe for condensation issues.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1

Think about it........

You might want to think what happens when the fuel pump pumps the fuel out of the tank...the tank doesn't suck in like a deflated balloon, something replaces the fuel that was once there.

Think about it...what replaces the fuel, and what does it contain ?

Then as the tank heats up and cools, rather than puffing and shrinking, as the fuel and air expand/contract, the tank breathes...

Think about it...

Indeedily dudely, neighborino.

However, does it matter for someone who goes through a full tank in a week or two? My guess is not even close.

To be honest who runs their tank dry? When I fill up I usually have 3-4 gallons left in the tank. Over a period of years I could see water building up, but I guess if the fuel pick up is in the bottom of the tank the water would get sucked into the combustion chamber.

I guess our Gumout rep only responses when Gumout is in the title....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back