Which to keep, which to sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all...seeking opinions on the followings:

97 Avalon 255k, purchased new. Faithful transportation, like it very much, no big issues. She's showing her age..needs headliner, switch bezel, bad scratch on hood and biggest of all the AC is not working and is original to the vehicle. Gas mileage is not Impressive..22 or so on the hwy. Does not use oil and has no leaks.

Other car is a 2003 Chrysler town & Country 133k. Purchased with 17k miles. Runs fine no major issues. Gas mileage is about 28 on the highway. Does not use oil but is leaking at the valve covers. Body & interior in good shape. Best of all the AC works. Engine is 3.3 flex V6.

About time to get another car. I can't seem to decide which to sell and which to keep. Wife gets the next car(as always😍) so I will drive whichever we keep.

I can't seem to get comfortable with thinking that the van will go to 200k. I mostly trust the Avalon but it admittedly has high mileage. I would rather drive the Avalon but no way without the AC. I can't find anything to push me to a final decision on either one. I'm driving a company car now so don't have to make a decision for another month or so.

Any known issues with the van engine??

Thanks in advance....

The van is known for trans problems, among others. I can see keeping it for the mpg and utility, but I wonder if it will not cost more at higher age.

How many miles per year will you be driving?

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
Gas mileage is not Impressive..22 or so on the hwy.

That's the fault of no one but yourself.

With the same drivetrain (1MZ-FE and A541E), I'm able to easily hit 30MPG highway in an ES300.

Keep the van, it's not worth having no AC in Alabama. I'm in Mississippi and I know how bad it gets here.

In all honesty tho the Avalon will probably bring the most cash. I don't know about you but here everyone thinks if it's a Toyota it's worth $5k regardless of year, miles, and condition...

I vote to sell both and buy something else, the Avalon sounds like a trusty car but has lived a long life and has lots of miles. The van as supton said may have transmission issues in the future, but so could the Avalon with those miles.

If I were to keep one though I'd sell the van and fix up the A/C on the Avalon.

The Avalon should be getting better mpg though, my brother has a 96' Lexus ES300 with the 3.0L that gets 28 mpg on the highway at 80 mph. Has 180k miles and burns oil at about 500 miles per quart.

Probably 7 to 10k per year. No tranny issues on the van.I put a magnefine filter on the tranny and the power steering thanks to BITOG...

Avalon has been faithfully maintained, which makes the poor mpg a mystery. I have been thinking of getting a compression test done to see if that will tell me anything. Vacuum readings are normal, plugs replaced at proper intervals, etc. replaced valve cover gaskets and no signs of sludge....

What wrong with the AC and how much to get it fixed?

If you do keep this car I would suggest replacing just about the whole system.

Last edited:
Keep the van,shy of a tranny it should last near forever,if the rockers and dog legs stay rust free.

Both cars get techron treatment every 10k, along with regular air filter changes and throttle body cleaning and air sensor cleaning.

Agree on total ac replacement. I bought a set of gauges a couple of years ago and have spent a fair amount of DIY time on the Ac to no avail. I'm guessing total AC replacement would be on the order of $1500 or more...ugh...

Originally Posted By: bcossa2001
Avalon has been faithfully maintained, which makes the poor mpg a mystery. I have been thinking of getting a compression test done to see if that will tell me anything. Vacuum readings are normal, plugs replaced at proper intervals, etc. replaced valve cover gaskets and no signs of sludge....

On that note -- are you even sure that the correct plugs were used?

Hmm...I believe I purchased from Rockauto. Can't remember what they were but I have no reason to think that they are incorrect. I'll pull one and check it out....thanks...

The proper OEM plugs should be either NGK or DENSO, and will have double prongs on them.

Like this (found picture on Google)
24nf8l3.jpg

I would probably keep the van if its truly in good mechanical/cosmetic shape. If its lasted this long with no major issues chances are it has a ways yet to go (provided its well cared for). I know of someone with a 2003 or so Grand Caravan with over 200,000 miles and its never given them any major issues. Keeping the Avalon isn't a bad idea either, you could probably make it to 300K with the engine/transmission..I would imagine by that mileage other things will need to be repaired/replaced though.

I'm certain that the existing plugs are dual prong. I want to say that I spent the extra $$ for the iridium but not certain...
They have 65k miles on them...

How old are the O2 sensors on the Avalon? That might explain the bad mileage.

Big question: do you need a VAN regularly?

All O2 sensors are original. Never had any CEL related to them either....

Don't really NEED the capacity of the van, which is one of the reasons I am having an issue keeping it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back