Level of Additives At Different Retailers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link: http://www.abc15.com/news/let-joe-know/gas-test

Story is a few years old now, but it's interesting to see just how low additive levels are at Pilot/Flying J, with an admission from the company:

A vice president of Pilot's parent company, Pilot Flying J of Knoxville, Tenn., said its gas blends meet EPA requirements: "That is the standard we use," Alan Wright said. "We don't put in extra."

Here's the data:

-- Among samples of regular unleaded gasoline (those with an octane rating of 87), Exxon had the highest level of additives (20.0 milligrams per 100 milliliters), closely followed by BP (17.2 mg) and Shell (16.2 mg). Trailing substantially were CITGO (6.0 mg) and Pilot (5.8mg).

-- Among premium fuels (92 or 93 octane), Shell took the top spot (31.0 mg), followed by BP (26.4 mg) and Exxon (21.2 mg). CITGO (9.4 mg) and Pilot 92 (8.8 mg) lagged behind the other three brands -- including the trio's regular gasoline samples.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I think there's more to it than a number of milligrams contest.

That is probably true, too, but I cross checked the list of brands they tested for that news story and the three with the highest "detergent" contents were all Top Tier fuels. Probably not a coincidence.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Yes top tier gas is good but there's also lots of gas that meets top tier that isn't on the list such as all kroger fuel.

Costco used to be in that category as well. To be listed there are fees involved that are not insubstantial. But, on the flip side, I would imagine being listed as Top Tier does improve sales among a certain population segment. This would not be the segment that will drive miles out of the way or wait in line to save a few pennies on a gallon.

I wonder how consistent the additives are for various gas stations?

Today, while filling up at a Shell sta, a tanker truck was unloading gas. The driver acknowledged he hauled gas from a major storage facility to various retail stations. I asked the driver how the additives were added and he said that wasn't his job, but that he had never seen any, however, there was a 2000 gal additive tank at the facility. He chuckled, indicating he was doubtful any was put in.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
I wonder how consistent the additives are for various gas stations?

Today, while filling up at a Shell sta, a tanker truck was unloading gas. The driver acknowledged he hauled gas from a major storage facility to various retail stations. I asked the driver how the additives were added and he said that wasn't his job, but that he had never seen any, however, there was a 2000 gal additive tank at the facility. He chuckled, indicating he was doubtful any was put in.

An experienced fuel hauler would know how it all works. Each of the "branded" additives are stored on-site near the loading racks and are metered into the tanks before the fuel is delivered to the tanker. There are also EPA minimum "generic" additives that can be sold for independents or even branded retailers that don't care. Valero used to just get get whatever generic additive was available at the terminal before deciding they wanted to market as Top Tier. Not placing an additive if needed is a major no-no and who the heck would risk those kinds of fines?

Costco is a major exception. Most now have an underground tank onsite just for their additives, but I've seen one station with an above-ground tank.

Also - the basic premise of determining the effectiveness of detergent additives by weight is nothing short of idiotic. Not every additive is the same. There are vastly different chemistries for detergent additives out there. I'd note that 5 mg of Vicodin is a more effective painkiller than 1000 mg of Tylenol. It reminds me of an "investigative" piece on shampoo that tried to determine how concentrated shampoo was by drying it out and weighing the solids. There is also the possibility of "filler" material. All one has to think of is laundry detergent. It used to be that you'd use a full 8 oz measuring cup of laundry detergent. Then they switched to "ultra" formulas with half that. Now it's less than an ounce of liquid or a solid "pack"the size of your thumb. There were and still are companies that specialize in making filler materials that give the appearance that "more is better".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back