Mazda 0W-20 OE or PP for Skyactiv Mazda6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have access to a UOA for the Mazda 0W-20 OE (the stuff with Moly) and/or PP OW-20? The Mazda oil is made by Idemitsu. The dealer uses Castrol Edge Pro OE for changes. This page lists a chart for 0W-20 brands, but doesn't list Edge, rather PP. The viscosity numbers are better on the Mazda Moly stuff than PP. http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?p=357910 I also live in Phoenix so cold start stats don't really apply to me.

The Mazda stuff is pretty expensive ($7.95) at the dealer, but can be had on Amazon, in bulk, for less. I used PP 5W-20 in my old Mazda and that was just fine. Are the higher levels of moly really making a difference for this high compression engine?

Use M1 0w20 AFE or M1 0w20 EP. Living in Phoenix a better HTHS rating would be more beneficial vs a better VI. Both M1 oils are good in this regard, also the Skyactiv G engine has a tendency of "beating" down oil as most UOAs indicate the oil has a reduction in operating viscosity ( to no ill affect, just wanted to point this out ).

I'd just use the pp it's cheaper and way easier to get.
Sopus makes great stuff.

I personally don't think the 20weight oils should be recommended. I think its strictly political and not the best choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back