Motul 300V 0W40 or M1 0W40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

My oil stash is low, and oils are on sale here, so even if I don't need oil now, I'm thinking of buying some stuff
smile.gif

M1 is almost the same price as 300V (I believe 300V is made in "frogland", should help with the price. M1 is almost only available online, so price may not be great), as a result for an OC (4liters) there is only less than 2€ difference between these oils, negligible.

I've read many threads on both oils, and still hesitate. 300V is a racing oil with a street oil add pack. M1 has proven itself... What to buy?

I plan to put it on my Fiat Barchetta. Now that it is running fine and healthy, it is my daily commuter (2x10Km a day), and is often driven hard on weekends (~50/100Km per week). I don't plan on extended OC, probably 1 year max.

Thanks for opinion
wink.gif

For the same price-definitely Motul 300V. Did you consider using Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 in the Barchetta? Don't get caught on a PAO vs GTL bandwagon, it performs the same.
What OCI do you plan with her?

Guess the answer is 300V then! No sludge problem with this oil? I've read some coment about it, not sure if they are to be taken seriously.

I can buy cheap Helix Ultra, but it is old stock (2010/2011) at my local supermarket. Put it in the Colt I recently bought to clean it a bit (short oci) since it was a bit neglected, never seriously considered for long time use. Is it that good? Fresh Helix Ultra is the same price as M1 or 300V (I bought most of my oils and grease online (except Rimula) since it is less expensive, also products are fresh according to date codes), worth it?

For the Barchetta I'm still unsure...motor and driving train issues has been fixed, except a somewhat irregular idle (idle air valve is 200€, will wait a bit to change it), so far so good no more variator noise lol!
I was thinking to do 5000Km or 1 year (probably 1 year will come first since I'll switch back to Marea for daily commuter in the winter), what do you think? I've done some short OCI recently to try to clean it a bit, so maybe first I'll continue like 3000Km OCI.

PS: fresh M1 0W40 or 300V in 0W40 or 5W40 or Helix Ultra 5W40 are almost the same price
M1 5w40 is cheaper, Helix Ultra 0W40 is slightly more expensive

I like new GTL Ultra a lot to be honest, and my old Alfa liked it more than Mobil Super 3000x1, so does my Punto with 1.4 16v Stilo engine. However I've never tried M1 0w40, because of the price. Motul is highly rated over here with a track day community, but again I have never tried it bcs of the price. Are you sure there's a M1 5w40?
This engines are very sensible to a oil viscosity, and M1 seems to share to a 30 grade quite easily. There's a UOA of another member here that confirms that (some older BMW).
One year OCI seems reasonable to me, don't worry about kilometres, modern oils are very good.
How do you like Rimula in your Marea?

Salut Popsy,

Originally Posted By: Popsy

M1 is almost the same price as 300V (I believe 300V is made in "frogland", should help with the price. M1 is almost only available online, so price may not be great), as a result for an OC (4liters) there is only less than 2€ difference between these oils, negligible.

Since you are in France, I am sure you are aware of 123pneus.fr? They seem to be able to provide the cheapest prices in EU and in Switzerland:

http://www.123pneus.fr/cgi-bin/oshop.pl?...icle_disabled=1

You can still get Mobil 1 0W-40 cheaper than that for 9,90 € per liter at https://www.123piecesderechange.fr/huile/Mobil-1/NEW-LIFE-0W-40/p-OIL-29 but you will need to pay separately per delivery.

As for the original question of Motul vs Mobil 1. On some Eastern European forums the Motul is not loved too much due to poor engine wear protection and of course price
smile.gif

Salut volodymyr !

I knew the placed but had issue on spare parts with them in the past, so didn't considered them for oil in fact., so thank you for bringing it to my attention!

Now the difference between Motul and M1 is around 4€...what do you men wih poor enfine wear protection? The Motul add pack seems bery strong...

On the site there's also some Helix Ultra 0W40 very cheap (6,5€/L), maybe I could buy it instead?

@ Chrisri: sorry, the Mobil 5W40 I was talking to is the same as the one in your sig. You think Shell 0W40 could be nice to try?

So far the Marea doesn't seem to make much a difference between the Rimula and the previous frankenbrew, but temperatures have been nice recently, and I also replaced the glow plugs, (startups are less noisy) so I don't really see a difference to be honest. I haven't put much Km in the oil though, mostly used the Barchetta! I'll see if it has an effect on MPG. Maybe it makes the car feel a bit more sluggish than before (frankenbrew was probably thinner), but with this motor it could also be caused by external temperature only!

Edit: you say these engine are sensitive to viscosity, I have some M1 5W50 leftover, this oil is really great in the little Smart. I'm not much a mix guy, but maybe hat is to be considered? 5W50 will shear to 40 grade, 0W40 will shear to ~30 grade...and Motul 300V supposedly will not shear much. Don't know about the Shell.

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the M1 0W40 turbo diesel? Will it do great in the Marea (I won't try it because of cost, just to know what you think about it)?

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the M1 0W40 turbo diesel? Will it do great in the Marea (I won't try it because of cost, just to know what you think about it)?

It is the same oil as the Euro 0w-40.

Popsy, Marea is fine with Rimula, it was designed around heavy 10w40 which M1 really isn't. Don't think of throwing donuts to a pig, it won't notice the difference!
Street driven Barchetta doesn't need 50 grade oils, but it does need a 40 grade that will remain 40 for entire OCI. Personally I prefer 5w grade over 0w for two reasons:
1. We do not need extreme cold flaw performance of a 0w oils, even 5w is overkill. What do you think why did 15w maintained its popularity in a Mediterranean countries for so long?
2. 0w oils will have more VII who will make them a little bit less stable so to speak.

To be honest you can go with any of the oils you've taken into consideration before. I would go with Shell just for the price and availability, and my personal preference, but all of these are great. You can add Edge 0w40 to your list, according to Germans it's full PAO lubricant which M1 isn't.

Ok then, Marea will keep the Rimula (what I intended to do), and I think I'll go to Shell 0W40 for the Barchetta, because of price. I know 0W is overkill here, next time I'll take Shell 5W40 if price is good
smile.gif

I think I'm also going to put Shell 0W40 in the Colt, still because of price. I'll see how it shears in this turbo motor, probably quickly, but that is not really a problem for now since I plan short OCI. Will stay to 5W40 next time too.

Have a nice day!

Popsy,

I think I'll go to Shell 0W40 for the Barchetta, because of price

What are the recommendations in the manual of your cars regarding certification and viscosity?

Originally Posted By: used_0il
I have not seen the 0W40 yet.

They're talking about M1 0w-40, which is marketed a little different elsewhere, and in more than one way in some markets, in fact.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: used_0il
I have not seen the 0W40 yet.

They're talking about M1 0w-40, which is marketed a little different elsewhere, and in more than one way in some markets, in fact.

That's right. In Europe, among many others, there is M1 0w-40 New Life, and M1 0w-40 Turbo Diesel. They are in fact the same oil with a different label on the bottle. Gotta love marketing, but it must be working well for XOM.

Out here in North America we just have M1 0w-40 European Formula.

Quattro Pete,

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's right. In Europe, among many others, there is M1 0w-40 New Life, and M1 0w-40 Turbo Diesel.

We have three versions of Mobile 1 0W-40:

1. Mobil 1 NEW LIFE 0W-40

http://www.reifendirekt.ch/cgi-bin/oshop...icle_disabled=1

Spezifikationen & Freigaben:

ACEA A3/B3,A3/B4
API SJ/SL/SN/SM
Nissan GT-R
AAE (STO 003) Group B6
MB 229.3/229.5 5
PORSCHE A40
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502 00/505 00
AVTOVAZ LADA cars

Mobil1 New Life 0W-40 wird darüber hinaus empfohlen für:

API CF
VW 503.01
OPEL GM-LL-A-025/GM-LL-B-02
FIAT 9.55535-Z2/FIAT 9.55535-M2/FIAT 9.55535-N2
SAAB

2. Mobil 1 ESP 0W-40

Spezifikationen/Freigaben:

Erfüllt die Anforderungen der:

ACEA C3
API SM

Freigegeben gemäß:

Opel dexos2TM
MB-Freigabe 229.51 und 229.31
VW 502 00/505 00
BMW LL-04
Porsche A40

Entspricht gemäß ExxonMobil folgenden Qualitätsklassen:

API CF
Opel GM-LL-A-025 und GM-LL-B-025

3. Mobil 1 TURBO DIESEL 0W-40

Spezifikationen & Freigaben:

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 erfüllt oder übertrifft die folgenden Anforderungen der Automobilindustrie:

ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 hat von den folgenden Herstellern Zulassungen:

MB-Approval 229.3/229.5
BMW LONGLIFE OIL 01
VW 502.00/505.00

Gemäß ExxonMobil entspricht Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 den folgenden Qualitätsstufen:

API CF
FIAT 9.55535 - M2/9.55535 - N2/9.55535 - Z2
OPEL GM-LL-A-025/GM-LL-B-025

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Quattro Pete,

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

That's right. In Europe, among many others, there is M1 0w-40 New Life, and M1 0w-40 Turbo Diesel.

We have three versions of Mobile 1 0W-40:

Yes. That's why I wrote "among many others".
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
Popsy,

I think I'll go to Shell 0W40 for the Barchetta, because of price

What are the recommendations in the manual of your cars regarding certification and viscosity?

I don't know, I don't have the manual yet..I'm trying to get one. I have the manual for my Marea, which was equiped with the same motor in a less powerful version, but it doesn't help much. It is the new style of manual with few technical explanation...older car manual like the one in my 190E were much more detailled.

Recommended oil is some exotic 10W40 Selenia full synth. Don't know it's HTHS to compare with M1 or Shell 0W40, could be interesting. Specifications are outdated, If I remember correctly API SG.
The Selenia stuff is sometimes highy regarded, sometimes not, but always difficult to find here and expensive...all I can get is the 10W40 turbodiesel, 10W50 Abarth (recommended in the 1,4 Multiair motor) and 10W60 racing, at like 67€ for 4L
smirk.gif

According to people on the forum, specifications have been revised to 5W40, but I think that was with the slight redesign of the motor (timing belt, ignition, calculator, abs at least).

Edit: M1 ESP is low SAPS, I don't buy that
sick.gif

Well, that was part of the initial object of this thread ; two oils, same price, what to get
smile.gif

But now Thanks to volodymyr I found some Shell Helix Ultra 0W40 even cheaper, so I guess question is answered...

Though I'm still curious on the debate 300V vs M1, considering price is the same. 300V is a street racing oil according to add pack lol.

PS: barchetta has no oil cooler but aluminium oil sump wih small fins on its base.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back