Gator 855D battery is low after sitting a week

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we have a 1 month old or so old John Deere Gator 855D, and after it had sat for I believe around a week, key out of ignition, I tried starting it and while it did start, the starter was turning just barely enough to get it to start after a good 15 or so turns. I'm sure it took slightly longer to start just because it had been sitting for a week, no fuel circulation or anything, but for the battery to be turning it so slowly, something was definitely wrong electrically.

Anyone know what it could be? Don't bother saying "check the battery for current flow when it's off", because you and I both know it will have some kind of a draw. It had no problems after being run for a few minutes, started just fine the next time, so it's not a bad battery or charging system. The battery doesn't seem to be bad either, I can run the radio for a while with it off and still start it just fine.

Charge it up and see what the voltage is at after a week. If it is less than 12.3 the battery is junk.(I think it is 12.3) if it is brand new take it back to the dealer and make them fix it.

Originally Posted By: horse123
So we have a 1 month old or so old John Deere Gator 855D

If it's a month old then it is under warranty. Let the dealer diagnose it.
Don't bother saying "check the battery for current flow when it's off", because you and I both know it will have some kind of a draw.

And there is the correct amount of draw and there is excessive draw. A couple minutes of diagnostic time would tell you which it is and it won't take a rocket scientist to know how much is correct and how much is excessive.
It had no problems after being run for a few minutes, started just fine the next time, so it's not a bad battery

A "bad" battery can seem fully charged right after it has been charged with the alternator, yet lose a charge too quickly when just sitting, especially when there is a slight draw on it. Again, it's a simple matter of doing some very elementary troubleshooting, or if you're incapable then just let the dealer deal with it under warranty.

So we have a 1 month old or so old John Deere Gator 855D, and after it had sat for I believe around a week, key out of ignition, I tried starting it and while it did start, the starter was turning just barely enough to get it to start after a good 15 or so turns. I'm sure it took slightly longer to start just because it had been sitting for a week, no fuel circulation or anything, but for the battery to be turning it so slowly, something was definitely wrong electrically.

Anyone know what it could be? Don't bother saying "check the battery for current flow when it's off", because you and I both know it will have some kind of a draw. It had no problems after being run for a few minutes, started just fine the next time, so it's not a bad battery or charging system. The battery doesn't seem to be bad either, I can run the radio for a while with it off and still start it just fine.
What on a lawn tractor will have "some kind of draw" when the ignition is OFF?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
What on a lawn tractor will have "some kind of draw" when the ignition is OFF?

It has a radio, and it's not just a lawn tractor, it's got plenty of electronics on it.

@ whoever said let the dealer diagnose it, it's really not worth anyone's time to bring it back, if I can find out what the problem is I'll ask the dealer to fix it, but I don't need to let them diagnose it.

Any accessories installed that could be drawing power?

I had a similar problem with my Polaris Scrambler. I finally figured out that the winch I had installed was drawing power all the time because it had a wireless control which was always trying to receive a signal from the remote control.

The radio is the only thing that probably draws a slight amount of power (to keep time) when it's off, but that is 100% off unless the ignition is turned to on.

It does have a winch, I'll look at that today. Oddly enough I don't recall seeing a winch controller mounted anywhere, so maybe it does have a wireless controller somewhere. It's not MY gator, but I'm helping the person who did buy it. I just happened to be the first to notice it was (edit: half) dead after it had sat for a weekish.

Last edited:
So it doesn't have a wireless winch. It has a wired controller that plugs into a port in the dash when needed. The owner is running it on a charger for a while and seeing how that gets it going.

While the tractor might be newly purchased, it is not as if once you signed on the dotted line, they came out with a brand spanking new battery hot off the charger and installed it for you.

Batteries self discharge and at higher rates at higher temperatures and they take lots of time to get from 80% charged to 100% charged, and that is when the correct voltage (mid 14's) is attained, and held, for 2 to 4 hours.

Far too often people act like the alternator is some magical instant battery charger and all that is required is a short trip around the block to fully charge a battery which needed a jump start, and this is the wrong wrong wrong. It will lead to premature battery failure and a bunch of insistent whining about battery quality when it is actually pure ignorance about batteries that is to blame.

If you do not put this undercharged battery on a capable charging source for long enough to fully charge the battery, but just drive the mower around for a bit, then the battery is simply doomed, and so will be your next one, and the one after that.

If the tractor has a significant parasitic draw, employ a battery maintainer or disconnect the ground cable after running it.

If you are not willing to measure the parasitic draw, then no one can help you. If you cannot find a plug in charging source and truly fully charge that battery, then you cannot help your battery.

If you expect the mower to charge it back fully quickly, then nobody can help you.

You know a Gator is a utility ATV, not a tractor, or mower?

You clearly didn't read any of my posts, especially the one just above yours.

Going back to the post from CA a bit, here are some thoughts. Yes, there is likely some parasitic draw, how much I don't know. That draw has to be reconciled with things like frequency of use, battery age and quality, and length of time with average rides.

When you crank, go fo a 20 minute ride then shut off to crank later, that battery hardly catches it's breath. It's not an issue with the average daily highway vehicle, but 'power sports' and such that sit will really benefit from a 'battery tender'. You don't even have to leave it plugged in all the time. That way you can share one tender with many vehicles.

I also believe a properly 'tended' battery will outlast one with wide swings in charge conditions. Yes, investigate and parasitic draw. The easiest fix may be to set it up to be 'tended'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back