Hydraulic Hose in Trans & Eng. Oil Filter Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed in several threads here people using hydraulic hose for their filter systems for either transmission oil or engine oil.

I'm curious why, because hydraulic hose is typically rated for maybe 200-220 deg F. Sure, they handle very high pressures, but most transmission and engine oil systems can see fluid temps higher than what hydraulic hose is rated for.

Is it simply that the rating is conservative, and hydraulic hose handles the higher heat just fine?

Ratings are always conservative' to give the manufacturer some margin for liability. Look at the tyre pressure listed in your handbook versus the max. Pressure listed on the sidewall as an example.

They'll probably be fine, but if it were me I'd want a hose that met the pressure, temp AND fluid-type ratings..

I'd venture that the rated temperature is better because you're running it at a much lower pressure in an engine vs hydraulic app.

So it's rated a 200F at what 5000 psi? I'm sure it can handle 250F at less than 100 psi

I've been running made up hydraulic hoses for auto transmissions for decades. Engine swaps do not always make it easy to install steel hard lines to custom radiators or remote coolers/filters. Never had even the hint of a line failure or a leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back