Looking to buy a 2008 IS250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my eye on a 2008 IS250 with about 90K miles on it. First 60K all work done at Lexus. It had a couple of issues and I want your opinion:

1. 23K Rattle at startup. Replaced bank 1 and bank 2 camshaft actuator assy. I think this was a TSIB.

2. 38K Low speed stall. Performed top engine clean. Carbon build up on valves.

I have the lexus records so I know the oil was changed every 5-6K miles.

Should I walk away or not? The car is really clean and it has been approved for the warranty repair of the "melting dash" and door panels.

What do you think?

Are these the generation that has structural issues? Lots of posts about dents in the roof panel around the sunroof being related to hitting a pothole. I wouldn't have any concerns about the mechanicals aspects.

I haven't heard about structural issues. That carbon issue concerns me.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I would stay away, buy an Accord or Camry.

Why exactly? I should have added this question to my initial post. I want to learn.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gebo

Why exactly? I should have added this question to my initial post. I want to learn.
smile.gif

Are you serious after 13 years on here? Because they are drop dead reliable cars that benefit from high sales volume, so all the quirks have been ironed out.

Perhaps you are asking why to avoid the 250?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

smile.gif

Are you serious after 13 years on here? Because they are drop dead reliable cars that benefit from high sales volume, so all the quirks have been ironed out.

They aren't any more or less reliable than anything else on the road, down right boring, bland, too common and over priced used.

I'm under 65k miles atm. Problem free so far. I'm going to do top end cleaning next week and will try to snap as many pictures of it as I can.

i personally wouldnt get one. Mainly because if i would get that generation IS, it would be the IS350.

Ive only driven the AWD 250s and they aren't anything better then the average car. But least with the 350, you have some decent power and MPG isnt diffrent.

Overall some decent cars in terms of reliable.

smile.gif

You have to live with the car, so buy it if it is what you want. You don't want to be the guy who buys a camry, and regrets it when you see an IS250 pass by.

Buy the car you want, and take internet posts with a grain of salt.

Every car is a piece of [censored] if you look up issues online. People always like to post the issues, but much of the positive for any vehicle goes un-posted on the internet.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

smile.gif

That's what I was trying to ask. I'm well aware of the reliability of Toyota and Honda. A Lexus IS just a Toyota, right? I'm wondering if the carbon issue is something I could prevent or if the top cleaning was all it needed. I want to learn what caused carbon build up.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I'm under 65k miles atm. Problem free so far. I'm going to do top end cleaning next week and will try to snap as many pictures of it as I can.

I'm looking forward to see what you do...and the car is for my son...as you can see, I'm more of an old LS kind of guy...

Last edited:
I wouldn't really compare an IS to a Camry. Not even similar other than 4 doors.

The IS250 does seem to be more problematic than a CamCordTima, but they are more fun - if a bit tight on the inside.

I personally prefer the IS350 as it is feels ridiculously fast and doesn't have the carbon issues due to the dual injector setup. I have heard a number of fit/finish complaints from IS owners, but they are still a lot of car for the money, and a lot of those issues can be fixed.. And I prefer rear wheel drive or rear biased AWD, so that makes the IS more appealing than many other cars.

Last edited:
IS350 or go home. Or try to find a unicorn IS300 with a stick that isnt beat / salvaged.

yeah, yeah, yeah...I'm getting this from too many people. I'll have to change directions. I'll add a TSX or a TL to the IS350 list.

I have heard and my head has finally spoken to my heart...

Lexus are pretty bomb proof, but I'd still get the car with the bigger motor.

I have not driven that model but I suspect the IS250 is like the 4 pot BMW's, you floor it and blah, it pulls like a Camry.

Last edited:
I just bought a 2008 IS 250 about 6 weeks ago....good a pretty good deal as it's fully loaded and only missing 3 options...memory seats...navigation....and the motorized rear sunscreen.

70K miles, clean carfax for just under $14k. I'm coming off of a '07 Camry 4cyl that I had 102K miles on it and got totaled in an accident. The Camry never got more than 26-27 mpg no matter how I drove it, and was affected by the oil consumption recall. Bought the car in '09. Driving the two is totally different....WAY different. The IS handles really well and has a great "balanced" feel to it. The Camry was like a wheelbarrow....

Just took an almost 200 mile trip to the NJ shore...mostly highway, but tons of stop and go. Averaged 28.9 on the way there and 29.6 on the way home (confirmed by manual calculation). The V6 really sounds great...0-60 in 7.5 seconds, which is plenty fast for me. Anxious to try the AWD this winter. I'm very happy with it so far and no issues at all. Pretty early in the game though.

It was much harder trying to find an IS 350, especially with the AWD...and those I did manage to find were priced WAY higher..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back