LIQUI MOLY MoS2 trial run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just changed the oil in the F150 and added a can of MoS2. Only used one can for about 7.5 qts of oil. Last oil run of 9300 miles the MPGs avg was 17.4 according to the computer. Computer isn't accurate but it is consistently wrong. Always under estimates fuel usage by about 5% so actual MPGs is mid 16s. We'll see how it goes.

Fuel economy is mostly a function of wind, hills, driving style that any tiny increment in performance from MOS2 will be so buried in the noise you can never trust your numbers.
You need real engineering tests with controlled variables to see if the mos2 reduces friction. I generally think LiquiMoly MOS2 might indeed reduce engine friction around the rings and valvetrain where boundary lubrication occurs, but I'd expect only about a quarter percent or so increase, if any. Need real tests, all else is just fooling ourselves.

I'm not saving the world bro. Just messing around to see if anything interesting shows up. My experiment costs $8.

Both LM Mos2 and the Lubegard (ebr1190rx) are good products that very likely work OK, but let's say you guys measure 19.6 mpg without, and 21.1 mpg with it in there. You will NEVER know if that delta 1.5 mpg was due to colder weather, different driving style slightly, less headwinds, tire pressure different, loads different. And if you walk around telling everyone your product works because of it, you'd be liars. Its just reality.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hatt
I'm not saving the world bro. Just messing around to see if anything interesting shows up. My experiment costs $8.

You better qualify your gains, if any, by stating for the record how very unscientific your $8.00 experiment is....
whistle.gif

Lest, the OCD types scream from the rooftops, that your experiment is null and void.....

Originally Posted By: mjk
Lest, the OCD types scream from the rooftops, that your experiment is null and void.....

You're living in fantasy-land. Try reality next time.

Really need controlled conditions, same fuel, same trip condition, same driver, same everything, hard to quantify otherwise. I've been able to squeeze 18 MPG out of the company van in my sig-but it takes nearly perfect conditions (flat, low speed/55 MPH back roads, no A/C), usually it only gets 14.

I get quieter running and about .5 to .75 extra mpg using a full can of MoS2 in my Jeep. I have used it off and on and still have another can not sure when I will use it.

No interest in documentation for the nit pickers unless they intend to start buying my gas.
laugh.gif

I am going to stock up on some from NAPA. I got a 20% off coupon. I think Clevy uses it in his generators with excellent results.

Yes, you can make a better product to a point even over the best oils, or ruin it (more like it). It depends on your expertise and specially a VOA. That's why OTC additives are still a strong market, because everyone feel like a cristal ball chemist. Sort of. We'd need more free consultants, here, hahaha.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
Both LM Mos2 and the Lubegard (ebr1190rx) are good products that very likely work OK, but let's say you guys measure 19.6 mpg without, and 21.1 mpg with it in there. You will NEVER know if that delta 1.5 mpg was due to colder weather, different driving style slightly, less headwinds, tire pressure different, loads different. And if you walk around telling everyone your product works because of it, you'd be liars. Its just reality.
LOL. If I see a 1.5 mpg improvement LM will be selling a can every oil change. I'll let you speculate where the increase came from. Ive calculated the mileage enough to know the truck doesn't vary too much with day to day driving. That includes testing E0 and TC-W3. I doubt the LM will do much but you guys seem eager to poo poo the results before the test even starts. Usually when you see that there is something more.

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
I am going to stock up on some from NAPA. I got a 20% off coupon. I think Clevy uses it in his generators with excellent results.
He experience with it is what cost me $8.

I tried this stuff before. Ordered like 4 cans and used half can per oci. Didn't hurt anything.
I know longer believe moly is necessary but can't hurt.
You can just us PYB or Schafer if you want synthetic. Both are loaded with moly. Mazda oil has a ton in it but I don't think it's all that great for the cost.

I got a package of 12 cans for $60 shipped (300mL) so $5 a can is nice.

I use it on both vehicles more for timing chain protection than better mileage. Given the length of the timing chains on the Ford V6 and V8 engines, that is worth the small investment if it prolongs the life of the chains.

Like many folks, my driving routine is basically the same, week after week, after week. My trips are so routine, the low fuel light even comes on at the same traffic light--obviously not all the time, but frequently enough to identify a pattern. Maybe OP has the same type of routine driving where he can see a difference.

Originally Posted By: steve20

Like many folks, my driving routine is basically the same, week after week, after week. My trips are so routine, the low fuel light even comes on at the same traffic light--obviously not all the time, but frequently enough to identify a pattern. Maybe OP has the same type of routine driving where he can see a difference.

steve20, Wind has a huge influence on fuel economy. Temperature is moderately big too. Traffic might vary. Speed profiles important. So many factors sway the results, its useless to say "I got better MPG, but who knows what the differences were in wind, traffic patterns, grocery trips outside of the work routine, etc."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back