Napa 15w50 synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

Has anybody ran this Ashland (Valvoline) synthetic in their bike?
I know the old 15w50 Mobil 1 was supposedly good in bikes so I wondered if this reasonably priced synthetic is also.

Mobil still makes the 15W/50, and a few Wallyworlds carry it.

AFAIK, all 15W/50 synthetics are free from the friction modifiers that are not good for clutches.......And have a very healthy dose of ZDDP, so you should be good to go with the Napa version of the Valvoline product. I have a bunch of the Valvoline version in my statch, (Picked up cheap on closeout) for my bikes.

Good post, didnt know this oil existed.

I dont think it specs as good as the semi syn Mystik cj4 15/50 I am using but I am going to look into it at the store.
On the website it states Diesel and Gasoline but only mentions the gasoline rating of SN and no diesel rating so the info is not complete.
Anyway, interesting, may give me another option to explore though I am 100% happy with what I am using, always fun to check other things out.

I've run this in my V Star 650 (Yamaha) more than once. No different than any other oil as far as I could tell. I buy it when it's $3.79 a quart. Also I'll mix it with Valvoline motorcycle oil 20w50 (both syn or dino) and run it. Reduces the cost of an oil change. But heck, I'll run any 50 grade, ran Supertech 20w50 one OCI. Bike ran just like it was filled with M1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sonic
I've run this in my V Star 650 (Yamaha) more than once. No different than any other oil as far as I could tell. I buy it when it's $3.79 a quart. Also I'll mix it with Valvoline motorcycle oil 20w50 (both syn or dino) and run it. Reduces the cost of an oil change. But heck, I'll run any 50 grade, ran Supertech 20w50 one OCI. Bike ran just like it was filled with M1.

Actually I just picked up an old (1998), mint condition, Virago 535 and am thinking about what oil to use.
I know some will consider this a 'girls bike' but I haven't ridden in years and feel more comfortable easing back into it on a smaller, lighter bike. I looked at the SV650, V-Strom 650, Versys 650 and Ninja 650 but decided on this for now. I'm glad to hear the Napa Syn. worked well for you.

I don't consider it a girls bike. I consider you smart enough to know your
limitations and what works best for you. Having been on 3 wheelers now since
2011, I recently bought a Yam 400cc scooter and I can tell you it took a
good while to work up the coordination and confidence in riding a two wheeler
again, despite that fact that up till 2011 I'd ridden bikes and larger scooters
since 1960. You might find that Virago is all you will want. Good luck and ride
safe.

I just bought (last month) a Honda 80cc scooter. So what. Does it run? Yup
80-mpg? Yup.

Who cares if it's a scooter, no problem at all with a smaller bike. It's still 2-wheels.

I personally know 2 people who have each put over 100,000 miles on Honda 250 Rebel (2-cyl inline twin) motorcycles. Does that make them less of a biker? I think not.

People spend too much time worrying about an image or what others might think about them. Live for yourself and your family, and live life to it's fullest. Make yourself happy, you can't waste your life trying to impress others.

PS - the 15W-50 Syn or any 15W-40 HEDO will work fine in that Virago, Sir.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back