2013 300hp Mercury Verados - what oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add pack looks impressive. If I were to pick nits, I'd ask for a bit more moly ... maybe 150-175ppm.

Someone said this stuff was not terribly shear stable? You'd assume, with such a narrow spread, it would be. Any UOAs out there?

What does this stuff retail for on average?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Originally Posted By: ledslinger

One factor that likely drives oil recommendations by marine engine manufacturers is potential duty cycle. They have to allow the possibility the motor will be hung on a barge and run at 3/4 throttle for 15 hours straight. My buddies boat will rarely see a minute of continuous use above 3/4 throttle.

Most marine engine manufactures especially diesel manufactures specify in the FSM how much as a percentage of total engine hours can be full throttle and how much of it should be at cruising or less.

If I remember right on my Cummins its like 10 minutes out of every hour or something like that for WOT operation. I suspect super charged outboards are even a bit less, Merc probably intends you to cruise them at 70%-75% of their range, or less.

If your going to hang it on a barge you prop it accordingly, the RPM's and engine load stay the same.

The guys that blow motors are the hardcore fishermen who have to get to the grounds ASAP, they typically run at WOT all the time and things pop, no oil will help you with that kind of abuse.

Yes the load and RPM are the same on a barge, but much easier to ride on barge at 3/4 throttle for 10 hours than a Skater cat.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Add pack looks impressive. If I were to pick nits, I'd ask for a bit more moly ... maybe 150-175ppm.

Someone said this stuff was not terribly shear stable? You'd assume, with such a narrow spread, it would be. Any UOAs out there?

What does this stuff retail for on average?

I think its about $50/gallon. I've seen it available online for about $33/gal.

Here are the numbers from my 60 outboard 4 stroke with 20 hours back in 2011.

ALUMINUM = 4
CHROMIUM = 1
IRON = 9
COPPER = 2
LEAD = 0
TIN = 0
MOLYBDENUM = 46
NICKEL = 0
SILVER = 0
TITANIUM = 0
POTASSIUM = 2
BORON = 152
SILICON = 4
SODIUM = 1
CALCIUM = 2226
MAGNESIUM = 10
PHOSPHORUS = 1080
ZINC = 1221
BARIUM = 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F = 63.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C = 11.10
Flashpoint in °F = 400
Fuel % = 1.5%

For some reason my motor would make oil with 25w40. Since I started using Amsoil 10w40 it seems to not be making oil and take off is faster. It was nearly new then as well. I may try 25w40 again this summer. I also have a report using Amsoil 10w40. Both seem to shear. That is why I ask earlier about using Delvac.

"I think [ Mercury 25W-40 ] is about $50/gallon. I've seen it available online for about $33/gal."

OMG, highway robbery! Is that the conventional or syn-blend version? Even the syn-blend is probably just a blend of Group III/II base stocks (no PAO or ester).

I'd stick with a 15W-40 HDEO for all but the most finicky/exotic marine applications. My top picks are Chevron Delo, Pennzoil Long-Life and Shell Rotella.

Sweezy, what do you mean "make oil"? Your sample shows a cSt viscosity of 11.1 ... mid-to-high 30 weight range. The oil didn't maintain its viscosity ... but I bet it's due to the fuel dilution.

Still, I'd swap the oil out often on an expensive motor ... and paying $8-12 per quart makes that harder to do ... or at least more painful.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
"I think [ Mercury 25W-40 ] is about $50/gallon. I've seen it available online for about $33/gal."

OMG, highway robbery! Is that the conventional or syn-blend version? Even the syn-blend is probably just a blend of Group III/II base stocks (no PAO or ester).

I'd stick with a 15W-40 HDEO for all but the most finicky/exotic marine applications. My top picks are Chevron Delo, Pennzoil Long-Life and Shell Rotella.

Sweezy, what do you mean "make oil"? Your sample shows a cSt viscosity of 11.1 ... mid-to-high 30 weight range. The oil didn't maintain its viscosity ... but I bet it's due to the fuel dilution.

Still, I'd swap the oil out often on an expensive motor ... and paying $8-12 per quart makes that harder to do ... or at least more painful.

My pricing info applies to the 25W50 Verado oil.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
On Mercury Marine website it has this comparison between what is likely 15W50 Mobil 1:

Here are the results from a comparison test between Verado Oil and a popular 15W 50 full synthetic oil.
◾Verado oil shows significantly better shear stability and volatility, and is higher in viscosity and High Temperature High Shear (HTHS) after shear.
◾The popular competitive formulation uses a fair amount of VM (viscosity modifier) which is subject to shear, while the Mercury oil contains no VM. As a result, the Mercury oil will hold its viscosity far better in difficult situations.
◾The HTHS after shear follows along with the viscosity stability, which results in improved bearing protection.
◾Use of the full synthetic competitive oil resulted in higher oil consumption than the Mercury 25W-50.

This indicates apparent concern over shearing and viscosity breakdown.

One factor that likely drives oil recommendations by marine engine manufacturers is potential duty cycle. They have to allow the possibility the motor will be hung on a barge and run at 3/4 throttle for 15 hours straight. My buddies boat will rarely see a minute of continuous use above 3/4 throttle.

Still pondering to stick with the Merc 25W50 after warranty expires on my buddies boat. Just got back last week from trailering it over 3000 miles round trip to the Florida Keys. He took it fishing to the Bahamas and burned over 700 gallons of fuel. Talking to him during the drive I found he has never ran it full speed or even a full throttle acceleration. I said maybe this indicates you only needed 2 engines. He just chuckled like 2 motors was an absurd proposition.

It's no secret that M1 5/50 and 15/50 are shear monsters. I've switched all of my shear monster engines to Valvoline VR1 synthetic and haven't looked back. VR1 dino holds up in 5000 mile OCI'S in Harley air cooled V-twins, and delivers incredibly low wear metals. Anything that can't be a sheared by a Harley air cooled V-Twin on extended OCI isn't going to be eaten up by anything properly operating. I use the 20/50 syn, but the 20/50 Dino is super strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back