How do you feel about Valvoline extreme blue 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been wondering about this oil. I see many people talk about it on forums but don't see it much on here. How's it against the common oils and the Delvac1 esp I'm running now? It will be ran in a 6.0 powerstroke.

Ran it in an '04 6.0 van, made it to 250K with no oil-related problems, original turbo, no consumption between 5K OCIs, until reverse failed in the TorqShift transmission & the company gave up on it.

I've never seen the 5W40 on shelves anywhere. I've used the 15W40 dino before but I prefer the Mobil oils. Currently the Delvac 1300.

Agree, Cummins loves Valvoline oil. Makes sense since they have a stake in Valvoline. That has been common knowledge in the trucking community for quite some time. That doesn't make it a bad oil by any stretch, just a truth in advertising comment.

Prior PSD 7.3 guy, now a 6.7 Ram Cummins guy. I purchased the Valvoline Blue 15w40 and a Fleetguard oil filter for a future oil change during warm weather. The Valvoline Blue 15w40 was 12.99 a gallon at Advanced Auto, which I thought was a decent price.

My next oil change will be needed around Nov-Dec. I am going to buy some Valvoline Blue Extreme 5W40 for the next oil change for cold weather purposes, and stick with the Fleetguard oil filter.

The Valvoline Blue Extreme is a little harder to find than popular oil such as Rotella T-6. I did see where Napa in my area ( Maryland) has a sale on the Valvoline Extreme Blue 5w40 for 19.99 per gallon. I don't believe that oil can be found for much less?? I have never used any Valvoline Blue Product, however since it Cummins Endorsed, what the heck.

Last edited:
Thanks guys . I have 20 gallons of delvac1 and a few local big name shops in the diesel industry are telling me 6.0 powerstrokes really like the extreme blue. I bought tons of the delvac because the price I paid per gallon. 17.99.... Lol. Again I was under the assumption that a motor couldn't like a particular brand as long as it's the same weight

As stated in the past... your 6.0 will take a 40 weight and tear it into a 30 weight in short order regardless of brand. I find that every shop out there has their own "opinion" on which engine likes which oil better... but it's often tied to what they have chosen to stock -vs- any factual evidence.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking man... There can't be a chosen oil that works better than another. It's pretty much the same, IMO. Delvac1 is touted to be excellent

There are many excellent oils; lots of them.

The issue is this:
are you picking a lube and trying to cram it into some preconcieved notion of use, or are you being pragmatic about the OCIs and going to select a lube that performs well for the lowest cost?

As I understand it, the VBPE is a group II+ and III blend, with a lot of VIIs. Sound familiar? Think T6.

If your OCIs are going to be normal to moderate (and with the 6.0L I think that's a good route to choose), then you don't need a syn by any means. You can easily get some 10w-30 HDEO in conventional form, and you'll find the 6.0L does extremely well; just look at the UOAs from roadrunner as evidence among others.

Sure the VBPE will work fine. But why pay for more if you're not getting more results? At 5-7k miles OCI, you'll never recoup the cost of the syns.

For that matter, the dino 15w-40s work well too, but they will shear. However shearing does not directly equate to wear degredation, despite the predominant fears.

PS - no, you don't need a syn in Baltimore. Don't start whining about how "cold" it gets, because the temps there are well served by conventional oils.

Last edited:
Thanks Newton.

The guys were saying that the HEUI system performs better on Valvoline oil over any other that they have tested. Now hes not selling me the oil nor does he sell it himself. ITs what he said that he has found over the years.

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Thanks Newton.

The guys were saying that the HEUI system performs better on Valvoline oil over any other that they have tested. Now hes not selling me the oil nor does he sell it himself. ITs what he said that he has found over the years.

And it's nonsense.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: NattyBoh
Thanks Newton.

Like I said, it worked for me-I had cold romping issues (by cold I mean 30F or colder) that a new FICM & 4 new injectors couldn't solve. I had even tried MC 10W30 diesel oil, it didn't like that either, but the 5W40 PBX solved it. It was changed pretty religiously at 5K, no UOAs, so I can't vouch for shear stability. Shame I sold my extra PBX to a co-worker for his 6.0 Excursion, I'd have traded it for Delvac 1!

I can always return the Delvac1 oil. But for the savings and how good its touted to be ( Group IV ) additive package, and even the oil analysis on its ability to hold weight and not shear as bad. Its been proven a few times that it does shear as bad.

I also meant to add, when I had my 2002 F350 PSD with the International built 7.3 (great motor) I had good luck with the Motor Craft 15w40 diesel oil which was made for Ford by Conoco-Phillips. I used to buy it at WM in the 5 quart jugs for around 17 dollars per 5 quart jug then, I think it is about 23 dollars now, still not bad. As you know, with the 15 quart capacity with the PSD three jugs would cover the oil change process.
I know the 6.0 is a little different than my 7.3 was ( oil filter on top of the motor with the 6.0 and a completely different oil filter on the 6.0) I have understood the 6.0 was recommended to use the 10w30 diesel rated oil, and if so WM also carries the 10w30 Motor Craft Diesel Oil in the 5 quart jugs as well. Go with what the owners manual recommends.

If you stay with a quality rated diesel oil and a good quality oil filter and of course keeping within the OCI you should be fine. Keep an eye on the oil level, checking once a week to ensure the level is on the full mark. My 7.3 used a little oil 1-1 1/2 quarts between OCI's. Some use oil and some don't, when they do most of the time it is a leak of some sort, mine was not that big of a deal. So far my Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins Diesel has used no oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back