Gear oil for AR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of trying Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil on some of the more high friction points on an AR? My thought is it would stay in place better then a thinner lube? Not that I plan to use it all over the gun just some of the big contact spots? Good idea or no?

What points are you thinking of using it on? I just oil the [censored] out of my AR and then wipe it down leaving a lot of the oil in place.

Might get too thick if you're out shooting in very cold weather. I use some 30 weight lube on my guns.

Gear oil would actually be a pretty good lube for ar-15s. Gear oil would stay in place very well and hold up to the high heat. It also has good EP and AW properties. The problem with using gear oil is that it is going to stink!!! Especially, when you fire multiple rounds and start getting the gun hot.

Yuck, no thanks!

My toughts....

Lithium EP NLGI 00/or 0 grease...for better tackines...alucomplex EP in that 00 or 0 grade...

chainsaw bar oil (maybe with few drops of MoS2 in it)

Just thinking @ loud....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
The whole bolt and carrier are the high friction points !

The WHOLE carrier doesn't need oil on it. Only the 4 slides that run inside of your upper and the cam pin area. Nothing else on the CARRIER needs lubricated.

On the bolt, you lubricate the rear tail, the gas rings, the ejector pocket, and the lugs of the bolt.

And one drop of light CLP oil on the firing pin.

OP: Gear oil stinks and stains clothes. I would avoid for that reason alone.

Run a thicker viscosity lube on AR's such as Weaponshield, M Pro 7, Breakfree LP, etc.

I read the title of this, then puked a little in my mouth.
I can't stand the smell of gear oil.

Could you use a q-tip and lube your AR with it?
Sure.

Personally I wouldn't.
I'd rather use motor oil, preferably synthetic.
Pick a grade, in Texas it won't matter how heavy.
In a sub arctic winter... maybe it would, so go with a 0w20.

The idea of using gear oil makes my stomach turn.
It's just me.

Yeah, gear oil is one of the worst-smelling things I've ever encountered. I wouldn't use it on a gun even if its performance was twice as good as the nearest competitor.

I have been using synthetic gun grease (TW25b) and G96 synthetic oil. Seems to work fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I have been using synthetic gun grease (TW25b) and G96 synthetic oil. Seems to work fine.

Two EXCELLENT products. G96 synthetic CLP isn't known all that well, but I absolutely love the stuff and consider it tears of God.

syn-gun-oil-usarmy-approved.jpg

If you're looking for a little more viscosity than "gun oil" provides, but don't care for the odor of gear oil, this product works very well. I've used it on AR's and AK's and the like with excellent results. It provides good retention. It's also good for the hinge pins on O/U shotguns, and the like where a high pressure lubricant is required. You can find the stuff in practically any auto parts store.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I was thinking of trying Mobil 1 75-90 gear oil on some of the more high friction points on an AR? My thought is it would stay in place better then a thinner lube? Not that I plan to use it all over the gun just some of the big contact spots? Good idea or no?

I would not use it on a gun.

Gear oil has too much phosphorus and sulfur.

Look at how the rifle was designed to be used and maintained. The military has a pretty good procedure on how to clean and lube these guns and what to use and many of them have been in service for decades with replacement of the wear parts (barrels, bolts, small parts). I wouldn't over think it and just use decent oil that won't break down and clean the thing once in a while.

Too much lube makes a mess and attracts all the crud that gets blown around the receiver by the gas system, a light coating is all thats needed on most parts.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Look at how the rifle was designed to be used and maintained. The military has a pretty good procedure on how to clean and lube these guns and what to use and many of them have been in service for decades with replacement of the wear parts (barrels, bolts, small parts). I wouldn't over think it and just use decent oil that won't break down and clean the thing once in a while.

Too much lube makes a mess and attracts all the crud that gets blown around the receiver by the gas system, a light coating is all thats needed on most parts.
Oil doesn't attract dirt.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq

That's a reasonable and obvious expectation. Sadly, it's not true. A wet, oily, and dirty rifle will keep running after a lightly oiled or dry rifle has stopped functioning.

I help out at a local pre-match rifle class. I've 'fixed' many AR15s (and it is usually the AR guys) that don't work by simply oiling them. Over oiling doesn't seem to have any bad effect, aside from being a bit messy.

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back