Thinking about using a Hastings for a 10K OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there. Hope all is well.

I own two older vehicles that I plan on keeping for a while. The first is a 2002 Toyota Prius that I bought three years ago and now has 225k, and the other is a 1994 Geo Prizm 5-speed that has 174k. I just recently replaced the clutch on the Prizm and I plan on having my daughter learn about cars with both vehicles (she will learn basic stickshift techniques with the Prizm).

I have always orientated towards varying my oil changes by whatever oil/filter I can get that offers the best bang for the buck. Sometimes it's a Mobil 1 that costs $18 and can go for a 15k OCI. Other times I get a free 5 quarts of oil and a Wix filter that is usually on sale. I use that for a 6k interval with conventional engines and a 7500 for the Prius with one top off during that time.

Long story short, both engines at our home can take the same filter. I'm thinking about using a Hastings CF410 for both vehicles. Does anyone have any insights on this filter?

Hastings just uses paper filter media, so they would not have the dirt loading ability that Fram Ultra or Royal Purple has, and Hastings would also be worse on loading than the mixed-fiber Fram ToughGuard, Mobil1, and Bosch Premiums out there.

So it's pretty much just a 5k throwaway filter then. Is that your experience with them? Thanks by the way for the quick response.

Yeah, I haven't seen Hastings using the higher performing filter media in their passenger car lines. Paper media is basically OK of course, I'd say good for 7500 miles guessing.

Fram Ultra is just very hard to beat. All synthetic glass fiber media filters best at ISO 4548-12 tests, silicon adbv, and relatively cheap compared to rival Royal Purple. Fram TG, M1, and Bosch Premium all seem to have the same performance in a mixed fiber filter. Ultra can go 15,000 miles, but I wouldn't push the rest over 10,000.

Wix and the equivalent Napa Gold oil filters you mentioned are also very good. Just don't filter as well as the TG, M1, or Bosch Premium according to tests, but almost as good.

Hastings and Baldwin make HD truck oil filters and have good reputations there, but either brand names don't appear to be that hot in passenger vehicles, just paper stuff, ok to use but you could do better.

Last edited:
Hmmm. so Fram Ultra and ToughGuard are the top two then. P1 is also supposed to be good for 10k, but it seems to be the hot topic here at BITOG.

Ultra is on top, followed closely by Royal Purple, and I'd add Amsoil EA and Purolator Synthetic (not classic or pureone) to that list of all-synthetic fiber good ones. I'd put TG on par with M1 and Bosch Premium, followed closely by NapaGold and Wix. ... Everything else is pretty much just paper media filters.

Thats all based on the filter performance, how small of particles they remove, and how much total dirt they hold. Some will try to argue that oil filtering doesn't matter, and they can try to argue that more particles are somehow better for an engine, if they want to.... We know boundary lubrication (metal to metal) and fully hydrodynamic metal separation occurs, so boundary lub is a problem for particles causing wear, but thats another argument. I like more and better filtering myself, so I say use Ultra.

Although i am far from a fram guy the Fram ultra seems like a good oil filter i used a couple of them and so far so good. Also Wix is a great filter that seems to flow very well.

I run baldwin 8k never any problems and good price same thing as hastings here is the specs off of my filter it may help you make your choice
Screenshot_2015-03-18-15-24-54_zpsyiyjosdt.png

There is nothing wrong with a Hastings or Baldwin for long OCIs. They are used in agricultural, industrial, and OTR applications for long OCIs all the time. They're a very well built filter.

It's probably one of the better choices (outside specific long OCI filters). It doesn't have all the glamour of tearing media, but it does a good job without any fuss.

You could order Toyota filters and forget about it, if you want low price, high quality, and nitrile adbv valves. Nitrile should work fine, as the Baldwin uses them too. You could get a Denso First time fit for about the same and get a very well made oil filter with silicone adbv.

Probably a good choice.
Baldwin/Hastings filters are quality stuff.
It's also not as though 10K is an ultra-long drain interval.
Plenty of cars these days allow for longer intervals on oil filters of similar quality.
Holding capacity won't be an issue unless either engine starts blowing chunks, in which case you'll have problems no oil or filter can resolve.

As usual, there is a crowd on bitog that thinks paper-only filter media is great to use, which just defies the engineering knowledge about filtration. Hastings uses paper in the passenger car engine line of oil filters. What they do in agricultural or HD trucking markets is likely very different.

Originally Posted By: robo339
I run baldwin 8k never any problems and good price same thing as hastings here is the specs off of my filter it may help you make your choice
Screenshot_2015-03-18-15-24-54_zpsyiyjosdt.png

That Baldwin isn't too bad for filtering efficiency, but not great. Note its 50% @ 12 microns, where Fram Ultra is 80% @ 5 microns, for comparison. The Baldwin is also 99% @ 25 microns, while Ultra is 99% at 20 microns, again Ultra wins. Also, Fram Ultra holds about twice the dirt before clogging than the Baldwin. This B7449 oil filter might have some glass fibers mixed in, but Hastings ones I've seen have no glass fibers, only paper. You can be brand loyal, or just go with the best product, the Ultra wins if you're sensible.

Originally Posted By: ExMachina
What they do in agricultural or HD trucking markets is likely very different.

There is some overlap between agricultural and industrial products with passenger car and truck filters, you know. The Hastings filter that fits my G37 also fits a ridiculous number of tractors and the like.

No one said that there aren't better options. I said that there specifically are. However, the odds of me buying Fram oil filters are rather slim, since they're overpriced in Canada and I don't buy filters from Canadian Tire or Walmart.

You can be brand loyal, or just go with the best product, the Ultra wins if you're sensible.

By the same token, when a Hastings is cheaper than a Fram orange can, you can guess which one wins.

That Baldwin isn't too bad for filtering efficiency, but not great. Note its 50% @ 12 microns, where Fram Ultra is 80% @ 5 microns, for comparison. The Baldwin is also 99% @ 25 microns, while Ultra is 99% at 20 microns, again Ultra wins.

Actually, BX = 75 is 98.67% efficiency, but close enough to say 99% I guess. BX = 100 is exactly 99.0%.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Actually, BX = 75 is 98.67% efficiency, but close enough to say 99% I guess. BX = 100 is exactly 99.0%.
grin.gif

I rounded off, sorry.

Doesn't Hastings make some of the OEM filters for Porsche and BMW in the U.S. I used the hastings ultra filters for my 2003 330Xi and those filters were very well made and could easily go 15K.
I don't think you will have any issues using the quality hastings filters for 10-15K. However, I wouldn't use the cheaper casite brand hastings for longer than 5K, or at all.

Originally Posted By: Hessam
Doesn't Hastings make some of the OEM filters for Porsche and BMW in the U.S. I used the hastings ultra filters for my 2003 330Xi and those filters were very well made and could easily go 15K.
I don't think you will have any issues using the quality hastings filters for 10-15K. However, I wouldn't use the cheaper casite brand hastings for longer than 5K, or at all.

Mann-Hummel oil filters are OEM on BMWs, not Hastings. BMW also uses Hengst, Mahle, and Bosch for new cars sometimes. Never heard of them using Hastings, and I don't think Hastings has an oil filter with the "Ultra" moniker. Fram Ultra exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back