PEAK 5w-20 in 2009 Hyundai Sonata 5200 mile OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is another report for my '09 Sonata GLS with 2.4L. Oil changed both times. First one was six months ago (Blackstone, no TBN) and this most recent one I analyzed via a pre-paid Wix 24077 kit. Both were with OEM filters.

The only surprise to me is potassium getting higher with sodium and boron present. There is no coolant and lead found so hopefully nothing to worry about. Pleased with a TBN of 3.7. Had I bought TBN service for the Jan 2015 sample, the number would have been good too as I ran M1 then. I am considering extending OCI to 8k as recommended by Blackstone in Jan.

Does anyone know whether or not Peak conventional usually contains sodium?

Code:

Mls on unit 69,500 74,700

Mls on oil 6,000 5,200

Sample date 1/1/2015 7/2/2015

Aluminum 2 5

Chromium 0 2

Iron 8 9

Copper 0 0

Lead 0 0

Tin 0 0

Nickel 0 1

Silver 0 0

Molybdenum 62 21

Manganese 3 N/A

Titanium 0 0

Calcium 1173 1579

Magnesium 618 216

Phosphorus 897 788

Zinc 993 910

Barium 0 0

Boron 72 18

Sodium 93 269

Silicon 9 11

Potassium 2 5

PROPERTIES

cSt Viscosity 8.72 8.30

Coolant 0% 0%

Water (%) 0% 0%

TBN N/A 3.7

Last edited:
$20 says that if you use the same oil, but switch to 10w-30 (Hyundai approved for >0°F), you'll cut your iron in half.

Want to take that bet?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
$20 says that if you use the same oil, but switch to 10w-30 (Hyundai approved for >0°F), you'll cut your iron in half.

Want to take that bet?

I have some 5w-30 Peak that I may use which may help... but unlikely as I have a ton of 5w-20 and 0w-20 oil waiting. Per Blackstone, average iron number is 11 (for 5,600 OCI) for this engine which is Theta, not GDI.

Peak is identical to Warren Distributions other WNE blended conventional oils like Supertech, Autozone, Traveler, etc...
They do contain sodium as part of the additive chemistry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I, too, found a VOA that contained about 300 ppm of sodium so that line makes sense. But then PQIA's sample showed practically none. But both were about four years old. I have not seen that many PEAK UOA's though recently. Conventional or Synthetic. Must not be very popular oil.

People who buy cheaper oil aren't the sort of people who pay for oil analysis. That's why there's plenty of evidence that you can get good results from expensive oils and not as much evidence that you can get good results from cheaper oils.

After all, you'd have to be crazy to spend money on something like cheap Rural King synthetic and then turn around and buy a $35 VOA.

The sodium is an additive per vow below.
Peak served you very well it appears. If you decide to continue using Dino,you can just use whatever is priced best at the time at Walmart or wherever you find good sales on sn oils.

CLICK FOR LARGER IMAGE Peak API SN, ILSAC GF-5, SAE 5W-20
Manufactured by: Distributed by Old World Industries, Northbrook, IL

Purchased at: Pep Boys, Piscataway, NJ
Date of purchase: 12/4/2013

The results of the tests conducted on this sample meet the requirements of an API SN, ILSAC GF-5, SAE 5W-20 motor oil, but the Noack volatility is baorderline.

PHYSICAL TESTS Standard Peak
TBN, mg KOH/g, (ASTM D2896) 7.09
Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt, (ASTM D445) 5.6 to Viscosity @ 40ºC, cSt, ASTM D445 46.34
Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 149
Viscosity @ -30ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293) 6,600 Max 5,618
Volatility, mass % loss, 1 hr, @ 250ºC (ASTM D5800) 15 Max 15.3-d
ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS-b
Additives
Calcium 1,637
Magnesium 7
Phosphorus, ppm 600 to 800 748
Zinc, ppm 792
Molybdenum, ppm Barium, ppm 1

Boron, ppm 1
Silicon, ppm-d 3
Potassium, ppm Manganese, ppm Titanium, ppm Copper, ppm Sodium, ppm 428
Vanadium, ppm Contaminants
Silver, ppm Aluminum, ppm Chromium, ppm Iron, ppm 1
Nickel, ppm Lead, ppm Antimony, ppm Tin, ppm a- Standards, shown in yellow are established by API, SAE and others

Originally Posted By: HappyLittlePony
People who buy cheaper oil aren't the sort of people who pay for oil analysis. That's why there's plenty of evidence that you can get good results from expensive oils and not as much evidence that you can get good results from cheaper oils.

After all, you'd have to be crazy to spend money on something like cheap Rural King synthetic and then turn around and buy a $35 VOA.

Agree - I came to the same conclusions. Another thing is that Peak is not carried at Target, Walmart, Sam's, Amazon, etc as far as I know. I only found it at Dollar General and Big Lots. In fact, I bought it on sale for something like $1.90/qt. The UOA cost was around $18 after shipping was factored in. (So about $28 total excl. filter which is no too bad.)

Originally Posted By: Bigdaddyeasy
The sodium is an additive per vow below.
Peak served you very well it appears. If you decide to continue using Dino,you can just use whatever is priced best at the time at Walmart or wherever you find good sales on sn oils.

Yes, I think PEAK conventional worked pretty well. I think it would have lasted another 3 months and a couple thousand miles. I'm not opposed to running it again although I don't have any in 5w-20 grade... will be using Castrol GTX 5w-20 synblend for next two oil changes and then M1 EP 0w-20.

And thanks for posting VOA. Don't know why couldn't find it. I believe here is the source:
http://www.pqiamerica.com/Nov2013/Peak.htm

I disagree somewhat with happylittlepony; PEAK oil or other "cheap brands" work fine for a 5-6k run. It's not crazy to pay $:5 for a VOA even if you have some cheap oil also. I didn't understand what you were getting at. Cheap oils that are API certified fine btw. I may get some PEAK as its $2.40/quart and $12.00 a 5quart jug at K Mart still ;-)

Originally Posted By: anl0109
Thanks for the replies. I, too, found a VOA that contained about 300 ppm of sodium so that line makes sense. But then PQIA's sample showed practically none. But both were about four years old. I have not seen that many PEAK UOA's though recently. Conventional or Synthetic. Must not be very popular oil.

I use it whenever I can get it on sale. Big Lots occasionally will sell it for like $1.75/quart when you buy two.

I got a 5 quart jug of peak 5w30 on clearance at Advance auto it the only oil I have stashed.

Originally Posted By: car51
I disagree somewhat with happylittlepony; PEAK oil or other "cheap brands" work fine for a 5-6k run. It's not crazy to pay $:5 for a VOA even if you have some cheap oil also. I didn't understand what you were getting at. Cheap oils that are API certified fine btw. I may get some PEAK as its $2.40/quart and $12.00 a 5quart jug at K Mart still ;-)

I think you've completely misunderstood what I said. The OP offers that there aren't that many recent reports submitted by anyone using Peak. I say that's not because Peak is a "bad" oil, it's because the sort of person that cares about a UOA is the sort of person who drops money on expensive brand name oil, not store brand conventional. I believe you can get great results from inexpensive oil, there's just not that much evidence here because hardly anybody pays for UOA's from off brand oil. You can find many results for oils like Mobil or Amsoil, not so many for the budget brands.

My crack about paying for a UOA for Rural King oil is because I just did that. Mostly to put my money where my mouth is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back