did they stop selling steel brake line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's up? Seems Oreilly's and Advance both stopped offering the 25 foot reels of steel 3/16 brake tubing. Stuff used to go for $22. Now all they have are $70 rolls of Ni-copp.

Sure, it's easier to work, blah blah blah. But when I have to run a straight shot from the master cylinder to the rear axle, I don't mind an extra minute swearing and flaring to save enough money for a pizza or two.

What gives? Am I in the minority here?

25 foot rolls of nicopp are $42 on Amazon. Steel should be outlawed since brakes are life safety items and steel can rust through. I applaud them for not offering steel!

Both of my cars 99/02 models have had major brake issues from steel factory lines.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
25 foot rolls of nicopp are $42 on Amazon. Steel should be outlawed since brakes are life safety items and steel can rust through. I applaud them for not offering steel!

Both of my cars 99/02 models have had major brake issues from steel factory lines.

+1

I couldn't agree more. Well said! It cost me less to do a car in NiCopp because i can do the job twice as fast (i put a price on my time as we all should) and it last the remaining life of the car its worth every penny.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Why would anyone use roll steel brake line in the rust belt? Maybe a preformed replacement brake line, but not one made from roll steel brake line.

Because brake lines die at the 8-12 year mark and rockers and subframes die at the 15 year mark, taking the car with them. So brake lines are a "midlife crisis" job and are rarely done again, again.

I'd use the ni-copp for those dopey foot long lines between MC and ABS unit where every nut is a different size/ thread, as I have to flare to fit the old nuts back on anyway. But like I mentioned in my original rant, the long, vast run from front to rear costs some coin... call me a traditionalist.
smile.gif

As for OE, yeah, it'd be great to have better preserved lines. They could use nylon for fuel lines across the board, but for whatever reason are hit or miss on that topic. Probably packaging the "fiver" of LR brake, RR brake, fuel send, return, and vapor all in one clamped assembly down one rocker. Different materials would slow things down on the parts supplier side. But it's still rough.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It depends. Many cars have rotten lines early in life.

Yep, the 99-2007 Gm trucks are having failures as early as 5-6 years old. The rest of the truck is easily capable of 15-20 years judging by the amount of them I still see on the road.

Yep - Subaru also has rusty brake line issues. 2 recalls on my 09.
They can add an aluminum hood and trunk to save weight, why not stainless brake lines ?

Originally Posted By: Trav
It depends. Many cars have rotten lines early in life.

Yep, the 99-2007 Gm trucks are having failures as early as 5-6 years old. The rest of the truck is easily capable of 15-20 years judging by the amount of them I still see on the road.

Not here. I have seen many mid-2000's GMT800 trucks getting scrapped because they are simply dissolving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back