Warped Rotors already - 17k miles Mazda 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting a brake pedal pulse sensation from warped rotors on the 3. I now have 17k miles on it, and the car is only 8 months old LOL. I'm sure it's mostly due to how I drive, but I was not expecting to have rotor issues so soon.
frown.gif

I had that in 2004 on my moms 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis bought brand new with 70 miles on it from when they went to pick it up. It was either a defect or they drove it like they stole it...lol

Mine were warped after 12k. After I got new tires installed one of the guys at the tire shop decided to torque all my wheels to 150 ft lb.

Combine over torqued wheels with an aggressive driving style and you have warped rotors in no time.

Try bedding in a new set of pads. Once I started doing that my pulsating rotor problems disappeared.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

I do 35-40 35mph to 5 mph gradual slow downs with a half mile of cool off in between. Try to avoid traffic light stops when doing this as much as possible. Then after 5 minutes of cool off driving and done. Now brake pads last 70,000 miles or more.

Last edited:
Try cleaning the offending rotor with brake cleaning spray, that often cures the pulsating problem.

so you used a machinist rule and feeler gauges and determined they were warped?

As The Critic pointed out to me, it could be from Sears not properly torquing the lug nuts after each rotation I've had done. I should have known better and checked after it was done. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Originally Posted By: buster
As The Critic pointed out to me, it could be from Sears not properly torquing the lug nuts after each rotation I've had done. I should have known better and checked after it was done. rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Loosen and retorque and then run them for a while. I've had quite horrible shaking on normal stops, come back to only barely noticeable shaking on a hard stop, which was good enough for me as an unplanned hard stop doesn't happen to often out in the sticks.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Try bedding in a new set of pads. Once I started doing that my pulsating rotor problems disappeared.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=85

I do 35-40 35mph to 5 mph gradual slow downs with a half mile of cool off in between. Try to avoid traffic light stops when doing this as much as possible. Then after 5 minutes of cool off driving and done. Now brake pads last 70,000 miles or more.

Akebono for one does not suggest bedding in new brakes. Just drive moderatly for the first 400-500 miles, with no hard stops.

I never rotate my tire F>B on MY car for this reason anymore. Then my wife gets HERS rotated, she complains of vibration, and then I, me myself! now must to move and reposition tires around on the lug nuts and retorque a few times then I can (usually) eliminate the issue.

Jeepers.

Hopefully its just a bad tire rotation and torqueing issue - usually is.

Mazda does not consider "rotor warping" to be a warrantable repair. They consider it abuse and will not cover it. They generally only cover and brake issues on wear items under 12/12 warranty.

Rarely known, but bad ball joints, bad struts, bad wheel bearings and other bad suspension parts can cause warped rotors. I used to have a '94 Thunderbird way back when and this was the case until I went completely through the front end.

Originally Posted By: qdeezie
Rarely known, but bad ball joints, bad struts, bad wheel bearings and other bad suspension parts can cause warped rotors. I used to have a '94 Thunderbird way back when and this was the case until I went completely through the front end.
Struts are more likely to amplify a brake shudder, whether it's pad material or a warp. When rotors were thick they could be turned, now one pass on a brake lathe can take them undersize. You might try burnishing both sides of each rotor with 100 grit sandpaper. It would reduce the uneven pad material deposit.

Originally Posted By: buster

That has always been the culprit on my car and my parents vehicles. I've found lugs on cars at 150+ ft lbs; that will crush the rotor hat and warp the rotor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back