2014 Ram EcoDiesel 3.0L UOA @ 26,600mi on the unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my latest UOA for my 2014 Ram EcoDiesel with the VM Motori 3.0L engine.

CtOgzpC.jpg

If you're curious about the truck with it being the Diesel 1500, you can check my truck in a video here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Yz6h4NSrQM

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
It looks great. Iron and aluminium seems to be normal for the high output diesel. Nice truck.

Both have gone down too compared to the last UOA.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Great UOA, fuel most likely is from DPF regen. I just drove my EcoDiesel Jeep all over Wisconsin during the holiday weekend, Eagle River, Chippewa Falls and back to Chicago, managed 34.0 mpg. Another UOA from mine soon.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Great UOA, fuel most likely is from DPF regen. I just drove my EcoDiesel Jeep all over Wisconsin during the holiday weekend, Eagle River, Chippewa Falls and back to Chicago, managed 34.0 mpg. Another UOA from mine soon.

It's probably due to the extra idle time over the winter. The last oil change before this sample was in late Dec - and if you're in Chicago, you know the brutal winter we had. ;-) I used the remote start quite a bit late winter. I'm not concerned at all.

After this oil change, I actually drove up to Canada and back - went through Chippewa Falls!

Yes, bad winter, I'd almost let it time out the whole 10 minute remote start a few times. Think I'll get the mopar block heater cable for it this winter.

Still it warms up quicker than other diesels I've been around. And can actually be driven following a cold start up at -10F.

Last edited:
Overall looks like break-in is clearing up.

Impressive that you've got the TBN that strong after 10k miles.

Absolutely nothing but good news here.

Are you following the IOLM? What's triggering the OCIs at this point? Not saying you're doing wrong here; just curious. Being that it's under warranty, I'd stick to the warranty conditions until it's elapsed. Was just wondering if you could squeeze a few more miles out of the OCI "legally" as it were. As far as the UOA conditions, the OCI can be extended. But if you're limited by some other monitor, then I was wondering what it was.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Are you following the IOLM? What's triggering the OCIs at this point? Not saying you're doing wrong here; just curious. Being that it's under warranty, I'd stick to the warranty conditions until it's elapsed. Was just wondering if you could squeeze a few more miles out of the OCI "legally" as it were. As far as the UOA conditions, the OCI can be extended. But if you're limited by some other monitor, then I was wondering what it was.

I'm following the truck's recommended oil change interval, which is roughly 10,000mi. It claims the oil life meter will adjust due to driving conditions, but it goes to 0% right around 10k regardless it seems - although I have avoided bio-diesel.

For me, I aim for changing the oil the next weekend after I hit 0% on the meter. This oil change I did change it about a week early, as I was driving to Canada (13hr each way) the following week.

Originally Posted By: Fraser434
Yes, bad winter, I'd almost let it time out the whole 10 minute remote start a few times. Think I'll get the mopar block heater cable for it this winter.

Still it warms up quicker than other diesels I've been around. And can actually be driven following a cold start up at -10F.

I didn't buy the Mopar cable, I bought it from NAPA - It's a Katz brand cord. I found teh PN# on the EcoDiesel Truck forum. I installed it myself - saved $120 over the mopar cord!

I even plugged it in while inside the garage a couple times this past winter, as I would have full heat right away on my drive to work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TSR6

I'm following the truck's recommended oil change interval, which is roughly 10,000mi. It claims the oil life meter will adjust due to driving conditions, but it goes to 0% right around 10k regardless it seems - although I have avoided bio-diesel.

For me, I aim for changing the oil the next weekend after I hit 0% on the meter. This oil change I did change it about a week early, as I was driving to Canada (13hr each way) the following week.

Well obviously the 10k mile OCIs are well suited for your rig; wear rates are dropping nicely as the engine matures.

I'd stick to that plan and just enjoy the results. It would be nice to get more value (longer OCIs) out of the lube, because the likelihood is that your tossing lube that's not anywhere near expended, but I do understand the constraints of warranty concerns.

You are getting decent numbers, but WOW. 5w30 oil in a Diesel for almost 10,000 miles. I am impressed. Ill admit, I couldn't do it. How many quarts does it hold?

The amazing thing is that is a low saps oil that starts with about 6tbn so you're protecting diesel particulate filter and the engine nicely . Amazon also sells the oil at a good price.

Well obviously the 10k mile OCIs are well suited for your rig; wear rates are dropping nicely as the engine matures.

I'd stick to that plan and just enjoy the results. It would be nice to get more value (longer OCIs) out of the lube, because the likelihood is that your tossing lube that's not anywhere near expended, but I do understand the constraints of warranty concerns.

If I hadn't seen a handful of these engines have issues on another forum, I would totally do a 12-13k oil change, do another UOA, and see if I'd be alright doing 15k - I suspect I would be OK doing this... but I don't want to get into the issue of "whelp, it blew because you didn't change the oil" via the dealership.

Once I pass 100k, or maybe even once I get closer to 100K, I'll go this route.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
You are getting decent numbers, but WOW. 5w30 oil in a Diesel for almost 10,000 miles. I am impressed. Ill admit, I couldn't do it. How many quarts does it hold?

It's 10.5 quarts. I've never really been concerned on the oil itself - and this shows it's holding up just fine.

Originally Posted By: spiderbypass
The amazing thing is that is a low saps oil that starts with about 6tbn so you're protecting diesel particulate filter and the engine nicely . Amazon also sells the oil at a good price.

Yes, I do buy my oil off Amazon - it's hard to find anywhere else, and if you do it's quite a bit more. I laugh, as it's cheaper to just buy two cases on Amazon than it is to buy 1 case and 5 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back