Or: How I learned to stop worrying...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd even go 7.5k as a compromise, that would work fine.

I just think at 10k it 'could' get dicey...only way to know for sure is to start doing UOA's.

Beat me to it. 7.5K with M1 and sleep easy.

Originally Posted By: Benito
Originally Posted By: VR6
It finally happened. I finished changing the Passat's oil at 35k and thought "What have I become?" I looked at the empty case of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 ordered from Amazon for $50... my goodness. It even has that darn prancing horse on the box. *shudder*

Is it really worth it??? Changing a 6 qt sump every 5k with something equivalent in cost to unicorn tears?

No more. I'm going to drink the koolaid. It's Mobil 1 0w40 and 10k changes from now on. The lure of $32 oil from Walmart is too much to resist. And, surely, VW did their homework blessing a 10k OCI right? Right?!?!?

What say you Best & Brightest... will my beloved VR6 last the rest of my days? More importantly, will I be able to sleep at night?

Overly dramatized BITOG post over.
wink.gif

A single UOA will help you narrow down your OCI range, even more so if you use the same oil every time. You don't even have to change the oil when you take the sample.

This. Switch oils to save $$, then do a UOA to figure out what interval you will be comfortable with. Anything else is speculation, since I don't see anyone else with your vehicle/oil commenting.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Anything else is speculation, since I don't see anyone else with your vehicle/oil commenting.

Following the OCI indicated in owner's manual (10K) is speculation?

Nobody here has advised him to exceed that.

With that said, I do agree a UOA would be useful here, and the OP is already on top of it.

Synthetic oils of today are so well made that no matter how hard a motor is on oil it will still do 10K OCI's easily.

For example I just did a 12K mile OCI with Royal Purple in my missed Audi A6 that saw 12 passes at a speedway and 4 dyno runs and the oil held up just fine and even had a TBN of 5.x remaining.

So my friend, so do a 10K OCI using a synthetic of your choice and rest easy that everything will be just fine in your Passat!

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I bought 2 M1 0W40 jugs at Walmart for $22.xx/jug, with $10 rebate limit 2 my cost is $12/jug. Your Pennzoil Euro costs less than $2.50/qt ?

You guys are so lucky and yet you are concerned about some savings on oil. Try local prices with 40 CHF (42 $) per one liter of Castrol Edge 5W-30
smile.gif

With the prices you have in US you may simply stick with whatever best oil you can get and it still will be less than 100 $ per 5 liters which is a very low price.

Originally Posted By: volodymyr
With the prices you have in US you may simply stick with whatever best oil you can get and it still will be less than 100 $ per 5 liters which is a very low price.

But see, this is exactly our problem in the US. Because oil is so cheap, some people end up changing it a lot more often than necessary.

If oil was expensive, they'd quickly come to their senses.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kuato
Anything else is speculation, since I don't see anyone else with your vehicle/oil commenting.

Following the OCI indicated in owner's manual (10K) is speculation?

Nobody here has advised him to exceed that.

With that said, I do agree a UOA would be useful here, and the OP is already on top of it.

Oh please, stop nit picking for crying out loud. It's become a rampant problem on this forum that really really needs to stop.

If you'll read OP's posts for content you will see that he has concerns with extending his OCI beyond 5k so since he asked I was suggesting a conservative approach to help him arrive, without worry, at the 10k interval.

NEVER in my post did I mention the factory interval or express any lack of confidence in the factory interval. If you'd read MY post for content you might have noticed that I said it's speculation since I don't see anyone else with your vehicle/oil commenting; which, by using context clues you should have been able to infer that "speculation" applied to the statement in italics. /rant

Last edited:
Wow... I'm sorry someone [censored] in your cornflakes this morning.

My point was that none of the comments suggesting 10K OCI are speculation because the manufacturer has already blessed it. One does not need to own the same vehicle to reiterate that.

Would it really add more value if I owned the same vehicle and stated to follow the mfg recommendation?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Wow... I'm sorry someone [censored] in your cornflakes this morning.

My point was that none of the comments suggesting 10K OCI are speculation because the manufacturer has already blessed it. One does not need to own the same vehicle to reiterate that.

Would it really add more value if I owned the same vehicle and stated to follow the mfg recommendation?

Again, I was addressing OP's concerns NOT the manufacturer's recommendations.

And no, of COURSE it would not add value if you posted that. But it WOULD add value if you said you had the same vehicle, same driving style , same oil and performed UOAs to show what the oil's condition was at some intervals, and shared those results.

And now since this quibbling is not adding value to this thread, I am out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: deven
Synthetic oils of today are so well made that it will still do 10K OCI's easily.

For example I just did a 12K mile OCI with Royal Purple in my missed Audi A6 that saw 12 passes at a speedway and 4 dyno runs and the oil held up just fine and even had a TBN of 5.x remaining.

So my friend, so do a 10K OCI using a synthetic of your choice and rest easy that everything will be just fine in your Passat!

In my opinion, you can't really make an across the board statement like that. I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing to 10k on the oil that I've run in this car so far: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3711961/1. I think this one would probably be fine though: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3511263/1. I think the "no matter how hard a motor is on oil" is one step too far.

--Matt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VR6
It finally happened. I finished changing the Passat's oil at 35k and thought "What have I become?" I looked at the empty case of Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 ordered from Amazon for $50... my goodness. It even has that darn prancing horse on the box. *shudder*

Is it really worth it??? Changing a 6 qt sump every 5k with something equivalent in cost to unicorn tears?

No more. I'm going to drink the koolaid. It's Mobil 1 0w40 and 10k changes from now on. The lure of $32 oil from Walmart is too much to resist. And, surely, VW did their homework blessing a 10k OCI right? Right?!?!?

What say you Best & Brightest... will my beloved VR6 last the rest of my days? More importantly, will I be able to sleep at night?

Overly dramatized BITOG post over.
wink.gif

I'm with you. I once changed my oil at 2K and was filled with anxiety if it ever got to 2200. My S60 calls for 7500 and I find myself stretching beyond that. For me the key was this website and some UOAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back