E15 coming soon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still missing the point. E15 will not be mandated for everyone. Anyone who chooses to not use it will have that option. Since it is only meant for certain vehicles, there will still be other fuel available at the pump.

I am not convinced that there really is all that much difference in fuel system components as it come to vehicle assembly. It is much more costly to keep two different types of fuel system components in inventory than to just go with the same for everything. Things go wrong and inventory control is just more complicated. I have hauled production components for auto assembly plants for several decades. I have seen first hand how the plants do things, and keeping multiple types of components for basic assembly is just plain wasteful on a number of different levels. And production is all about doing the job at the lowest cost possible. While indeed, there have been changes on a model and year by year basis, once they settle in on components for a particular vehicle, it is usually the same stuff. Not talking engines or differentials here, but standardized components like fuel lines, pumps, and such. Just plain stupid to have two different kinds of pumps, two different kinds of fuel lines, and on and on. But the OEM's have done stupid things in the past. But this one seems to be a stretch.

And cars and pickups were using E10 quite well long before the OEM's started changing fuel systems to meet the supposed problems. Since at least the late 70's in many areas, E10 was available at the pumps. I ran it in a 1978 Chevy LUV, and 1974 Pontiac Catalina with a 400 small block, and several other vehicles and never had a fuel related problem. Same for many other folks. Now that all OEM's have upgraded fuel systems since those days, I figure E15 will be much ado about nothing. Again, folks will be able to choose it or leave it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back