Dealer trade in appraisal...ride along??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: flinter
The 2015 Civic adds a CVT, PUSH button start, auto headlights, totally new improved 8" infotainment display/system, upgraded seat fabric, keyless access.

LOL. New stuff gets added to cars every couple of years all the time. If that's how you're going to approach it, you'll be trading up every 2 years. I thought you were planning to keep a car for 10 years?

I decided,for the heck of it, to see what trade i was for a car I had. The guy at the dealer asked some questions, then hopped in. Drove maybe half mile down the road, then back. From his perspective I showed that there was no major issues.

I offered to let him drive, bit he wasn't interested. Probably varies dealer to dealer, and trade to trade.

AGAIN guys, I am ONLY considering this! My 2013 Civic was purchased from a lottery win, basically free money. The rest of the lottery win when to ROTH IRA and build up emergency CASH fund which is now a 24 month emergency fund. Most Americans have ZERO in an emergency fund!

Last edited:
Doesn't hurt to try. I did, and I walked from the deal. No harm, no foul. Made a slight bit more on a private sale, but the buyer knew exactly what he was getting.

I cant imagine the accord has a harsh ride unless:

A) Tires are way overinflated (they usually are off the transport)
B) Shocks can be very stiff until they get run in a bit

Also check out a base Altima

I wouldn't be too excited over the CVT
smile.gif

I would see what the Honda dealer offers you and maybe Carmax. Its a couple year old Civic so retail on the lot will be around what a new one goes for.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
so retail on the lot will be around what a new one goes for.

Why would anyone buy it then?

Because everyone told them it was best to buy a used Honda or Toyota.

I wouldn't have any issues letting the dealer drive it. It's an econo-box and they've seen thousands just like it come through the lot. What could they possibly do to hurt it other than wreck it? They're insured.

Guys,
If a do private sale, I would ONLY accept CASH. no exceptions. RELAX guys, I only said I am considering this. The 2015 Civic adds a CVT, PUSH button start, auto headlights, totally new improved 8" infotainment display/system, upgraded seat fabric, keyless access.

2 years ago, I sold my MINT 2005 Elantra private and sold it literally in 6 hours! I took a bunch of great digital pictures, posted on Craigs List and within 20 minutes received 5 calls.
The first person brought it the next morning with CASH. It doesnt get any better than that!!

ARC,
I test drove the 2015 Accord LX, VERY nice car with one LARGE exception...the harsh, stiff, firm ride quality. Thats a deal breaker. The Civic rides noticeably smoother.

That "harsh, stiff, firm ride" is a HUGE bonus! Means better handling in all situations. Better steering feedback and longer life suspension. I love it on my Accord EX-L.`

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
so retail on the lot will be around what a new one goes for.

Why would anyone buy it then?

Cause people are stupid and just follow the advice that buying a slightly used Honda is a good deal.

AGAIN guys, I am ONLY considering this! My 2013 Civic was purchased from a lottery win, basically free money. The rest of the lottery win when to ROTH IRA and build up emergency CASH fund which is now a 24 month emergency fund. Most Americans have ZERO in an emergency fund!

Sweet deal for you Sir!

If curiosity is getting the best of you, try it out. See what they come up with. Problem is, going into it, you have to know their offer won't be outstanding. They'll "need" to make a few thousand on the trade, so the offer won't be great.

I tried a similar thing a few weeks ago. I got a letter from my Subaru salesman. Trade your 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek for a 2015 and keep your payments exactly the same. Knowing it's a total farce, I emailed them anyway, because I'd love to have the CVT instead of my current 5spd. Good news! Sure, I could trade up!! No problem keeping my payment the same, but it would cost me $2900 out of pocket. LOL.. No thanks.

Last edited:
What a car is worth to the dealer is quite a bit less than what it is worth to the eventual purchaser of the car. The dealer will need to finance it, give a good cleaning and get it sold. That takes time and money, and there needs to be profit left over to pay the salesman as well as the owners of the dealership.

The dealers have a "black book" value that's a lot less than KBB or NADA. You can def make more money in a private sale, but get the Carmax and a couple trade offers as well as seeing what a Civic is going for in your area to get a better idea what to sell it for. Just me personally, but I always sell for a firm price. I don't play the negotiating game. Never had a problem selling anything that way. Usually it's 1-1.5K more than Carmax estimate.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
GF traded in a 2002 Subaru Forester last December. They didn't even bother test driving the car.

I doubt in their minds they were giving her much of anything for it then, other than "on paper".

Personally, if I were trading in, I would ride along for their test drive. I don't see why it would offend them -- the dealership generally sends someone with buyers on a test drive (or at least always has the option to).

Agree with most of what has been said, especially the part on them raping/low balling you on the trade. Just finished up 8 month search for replacement SUV for 2011 Infiniti and most offers up until the one I took this past Monday were for nearly $5000 less than what Kelley Blue Book said it should be worth in trade. These places ranged from mom and pop dealers to corporate mega luxury dealers and they all came up with out of left field non-sensical reasons not to give fair value. I don't know how they all get away with that. I finally ended up accepting an offer for about $1500 to $2000 less than it "should" have been and considered it a "victory" considering the ridiculously low offers I had received previously. Also strongly agree that you're trading in way too soon from a value standpoint because it's during the first 3 years, and especially the first 2 that cars take the most in depreciation. However, if new features as opposed to value is your priority and you have the dough, then simply be prepared to lose a lot of money, which if you're happy with the new wheels will totally make it worth it. I am very happy with new (to me) vehicle and even though I didn't get a great deal, I'm still way better off than I was before. Best of luck to you. One more thing. It being in "mint condition" is not going to make much of a difference in the trade in value based on my experience because my 2011 only had 17,700 miles on it and it was in essentially perfect condition with zero defects or problems. Still, all I was able to get was a price based on "good condition." Most every dealer adamantly stated that nothing was in better than good or fair until it had gone through their shop and all they could pay was wholesale because they might have to wholesale it, which to me made no sense for a vehicle in perfect condition. Again, good luck!

and if you didn't win the lottery?

Trading in a used car that is that NEW, is a great way to deplete that efund.

Congrats on building a 24 month efund, but I don't see the reason to lose money on a trade in and spend money on a barely newer version of the same car. If you like Civics, your current one should be great for plenty of years.

Is your job unstable? Usually a 6-12 month fund is enough. You could divert money into a 401k, and if you can't live off the reduced income, you then take some of the efund to compensate. This allows you to grow more tax advantaged retirement accounts.

Oh, wait, what was the ? Ride along? Nah, they'll low ball you any which way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back