what's the best/easiest way to get rid of a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mclasser
It would be low thing to donate a car with a busted engine to charity.

I've never seen one that refused any car running or not... If it isn't worth messing with they'll sell it as is, always a bunch of scrappers at those auctions...

A few keep a mechanic on staff, that does minor repairs and maybe takes it for a state inspection... A friend recently bought a decent '66 Mustang for $3800 that had a front control arm replaced and had a new inspection...

Around here, local j/y will give me $200 to $250 per vehicle. Local recycler is paying $.04/lb. Lots of scrappers will give you $10 and haul it away.

Junkyard. I have done this and they will usually come get it and pay you cash as long as you have the title obviously. Call around but usually the junkyard will give you more money than the recycle places.

Back in...2003?, my buddy was desperate for a car, and bought a cobbled together "franken truck" of an s10 for $500 from a co worker. After about 6 months of nickel and dime problems, it died, according to his dad it threw a rod, it sat in the parking lot in front of our apt for a few months. We eventually called the local goodwill auto auction, a flatbed came out loaded it up, and too it away. They handled all the paperwork. I don't remember if they sent him a notice of what it sold for, but he claimed $500 on his taxes.

Signed title on the dash, and 'Free Car' wrote on the windshield.
smile.gif

Need that serpentine belt for my 01 Intrepid field runner lol
Shes gonna get the brick on the pedal soon enough haha.

Call up a local scrap yard prices are kinda [censored] right now so youll get 150ish, pick and pull place may pay little more.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Charities don't actually use the car. They put it up for auction and get some of the proceeds.

They will advertise we'll take your car running or not, and contract with towing if it needs a tow. So don't feel bad if your car is broken, they will take it.

Only feel bad if you do something liek fill the trunk with hazardous waste that you would need to pay to dispose of or something purely wicked like that.

It indeed by far is the easiest way to get rid of a car.

I donated my '99 Land Rover Discovery II to charity. They did exactly this- sold at auction. The tow truck driver was amazed that it started and ran and thanked me.... I laughed, and he told me that a lot do not run, and its just a lot more work for them.

I got a notice a couple months later indicating the sold amount and then reflected that as a tax deduction/write-off.

http://www.lung.org/donate/vehicle-donation/

Last edited:
Donate it.

I wouldn't want the kind of Craigslist low life's that buy a $500 car to come to my house.

Michigan has tightened down on the value you get from donating.

I got rid of my daughter's '02 Taurus (with bad tranny) last winter. Here, junkyards would give $350 delivered to them or $300 if they picked it up. This was basically a scrap value price, they said.

I advertised it on Craigslist for $500 (full disclosure). I got a few low ball callers ($150), but one guy called the first day posted and paid the $500. He collects these cars, pieces them together, and resells for "profit". In my area, Craigslist seems to work well. It's your call how much effort $300 - $500 dollars is worth.

Be careful to have a bill of sale and do the title transfer correctly (call your secretary of state). It can come back to bite you......ask me how I learned this.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back