My truck was recalled, I have a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 was recalled because of a possible loose pinion nut. Apparently the factory didn't use any/or the right loctite on the threads. The pinion is loose, has up and down play. Also the rear end has been howling for awhile, which I now assume is probably a pinion bearing. Ok cool, now I don't have to fix it myself, right?

BUT, the truck is 9.5 years from the date of purchase, and it has 194,xxx miles on it. Is it still eligible for the safety recall? Is there a time limit or mileage limit to recalls?

This is a safety recall, not a TSB. I've never actually had to deal with a recall before. BTW we just got the recall notice in mail last week.

Thanks for any advice!

When I worked at a dealer (GM) , we would perform recalls regardless of mileage and age. If the recall was open as per the VIN# it was eligible to be fixed.

Last edited:
There is no age or mile limit to safety recalls. I'm taking my Corolla in on Friday for the airbag recall.

It's probably going to need a rebuild on the differntial. Once you drove long enough with the lose pinion nut for the pinion bearing to become lose (the pinion holds the preload on the pinion bearing) ... and continued to drive until it howled, it very likely chewed up the ring and pinion gears along with destroying the pinion bearing.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
My wife's 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 was recalled because of a possible loose pinion nut. Apparently the factory didn't use any/or the right loctite on the threads. The pinion is loose, has up and down play. Also the rear end has been howling for awhile, which I now assume is probably a pinion bearing. Ok cool, now I don't have to fix it myself, right?

BUT, the truck is 9.5 years from the date of purchase, and it has 194,xxx miles on it. Is it still eligible for the safety recall? Is there a time limit or mileage limit to recalls?

This is a safety recall, not a TSB. I've never actually had to deal with a recall before. BTW we just got the recall notice in mail last week.

Thanks for any advice!

Safety is safety, age doesn't matter. Just hope you make it to the dealer before the driveshaft drops... :p (I'm only half-kidding...)

Miller88 is right. If the nut is loose enough to feel and the rear is howling, the rear end is very likely going to need a rebuild. That nut is responsible for a lot of things- it puts the right preload on the bearings to make them wear normally, and it when the pinion shifts around due to loss of bearing preload, it lets the pinion gear mesh incorrectly with the ring gear. If they put it all back together and it runs quiet, you may have lucked out.

I don't see why they wouldn't honor it. My father is still getting recalls from Ford for his 2001 F350 about the cruise control switch that catches fire.

His truck doesn't have cruise control or the switch.

Yeah I called the dealer any he said no limits.

Interestingly the NTSA website said 10 years from date of original purchase.

I'm not one to take my stuff to dealers, but if they have to do it for free, then I don't have to buy the parts and spend my time doing it. I'm taking it in Monday for them to exam and see what's all needed. I have no doubt they will have to replace everything. The recall notice even said "Rear axles found with loose or seized pinion must be reconditioned". My pinion is definitely loose. Not falling off loose, but I can move it by hand, and not meaning the backlash.

Though on an old truck of mine, the manual trans went out under warranty. Dealer replaced it for free. But the new one only lasted about 50 miles because the clowns didn't put lube in the new trans. I'll make sure I check the fluid level of the diff when they are done.

$10 says you will be disappointed once you find out what the dealer will, and will not, do for free.

SUMMARY:
Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks manufactured January 28, 2004, to August 3, 2005. In the affected vehicles, the rear axle pinion nut may loosen due to an undersized spline on the pinion gear.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the pinion nut loosens, the rear axle may seize, and/or the driveshaft may detach resulting in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will install a retention feature to the pinion nut, free of charge. Chrysler issued owners an interim notification on February 11,2015. The recall is expected to begin February 13, 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P77.

Originally Posted By: stevejones
$10 says you will be disappointed once you find out what the dealer will, and will not, do for free.

SUMMARY:
Chrysler Group LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 trucks manufactured January 28, 2004, to August 3, 2005. In the affected vehicles, the rear axle pinion nut may loosen due to an undersized spline on the pinion gear.
CONSEQUENCE:
If the pinion nut loosens, the rear axle may seize, and/or the driveshaft may detach resulting in a loss of vehicle control, increasing the risk of a crash.
REMEDY:
Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will install a retention feature to the pinion nut, free of charge. Chrysler issued owners an interim notification on February 11,2015. The recall is expected to begin February 13, 2015. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is P77.

$20 says you're right.

The first time I took my Corolla to a Toyota dealer for the airbag recall, I sat in the waiting room for an hour before they called my name and said the one technician trained in the airbag recall wasn't working that day and I'd have to come back. I raised a stink and they gave me a free rental and kept my car overnight. They called the next day and said my car looked fine and no repair was needed.

My advice is to call the dealership the day before you go to ensure they have the proper personnel and parts on hand to complete the repair.

SUMMARY:
CONSEQUENCE:
REMEDY:

That is NOT what my recall says at all.
I called the dealer, made the appt, and told them the pinion is loose and making bearing noise. He said the have to check it over anyway. Which is obvious. I'm not looking to get a brand new axle housing with all new parts, I just want the issue, and the symptoms from the issue fixed. I'm not going to flip out if they don't do it satisfactory, most dealers can't do much right, I will try to get them to do what is needed. If I can't I will just fix it myself. At least I know it's done right and won't be a problem anymore.

Last edited:
Best of luck to you! Let us know how it turns out...

I will. I think I will video the play in the pinion, and the howl in the rear end before I take it in. Just in case they try to just tighten the pinion and call it good enough.

Just a follow up:

The day I took it in for the pinion nut recall the dealer did the airbag recall instead. The said they had to order the pinion nut. Ok....

So they now have the nut so I took it in today and again let them know that the pinion was loose and the seal was leaking as well as the bearings were making noise.

They called an hour later and said they needed to replace the pinion bearings as well as putting on the new nut.

So at least they are fixing it right. Though I don't know the shape of the gears, I will assume they are usuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back