Nascar Coke Zero 400 Daytona

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that missed it. Here you go. The race started real late here so I didn't get to see it. Sounded like a real action packed race.

Glad you posted this. I didn't know what I was going to do this evening for the next three hours.

Last edited:
I have watched that last lap crash a dozen times at least. Absolutely amazing that Dillon walked away and that, as far as I know, there were no serious injuries in the stands. What if Autin had gone into the fence the same way, except head first instead of tail first. Would the outcome have been as good??? FYI...not even a race fan. Went to Talladega a few years ago to mark it off the bucket list, but don't follow NASCAR on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: Geauxtiger
What if Autin had gone into the fence the same way, except head first instead of tail first.

He would have been shredded like a ball of Mozzarella through a cheese grater. There would have been pieces of him all over the stands. One of these days one of those cars is going to get loose in the crowd, and they're going to lose hundreds. It's only a matter of time. This is nothing but a disaster just waiting to happen. Especially when NASCAR is more worried about Confederate flags.

I agree that he would likely have been shredded, but I wonder how the fence, which seemed to have barely held, would have fared with a hunk of iron (engine/trans) tearing thru it instead of the largely empty rear end? Would there have been even more spectator casualties, all else equal?

I agree that he would likely have been shredded, but I wonder how the fence, which seemed to have barely held, would have fared with a hunk of iron (engine/trans) tearing thru it instead of the largely empty rear end? Would there have been even more spectator casualties, all else equal?

I'm surprised the fence held up as well as it did. That car was arrested faster than a F-18 hitting the 3 wire of a carrier flight deck. If he had gone in top first like Wheldon did, he would have been reduced to Kibbles & Bits. He was the luckiest man in that race, no doubt.

I think the fence actually ripped the engine and transmission out of the car. They were sitting in the infield after the crash. I was amazed how well the fence held up, but if another car had followed Dillon into the fence, it might have gotten through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back