what's the best/easiest way to get rid of a car

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 Intrepid. no rust. timing chain issue. what's the best/easiest way to get rid of it? salvage yard? ebay? donate? craigs? I got a quote of $3k to rebuild the engine - but I am not getting any spousal support to put that kind of money into a 13 Year old dodge

It would be low thing to donate a car with a busted engine to charity.

Last edited:
Craiglist it for 5 bills, one of these guys who works for himself everyday taking junk yard engines out to sell on ebay will buy it in a minute.

If i can find a good rust/accident free shell only 2000 GTP 2 door i am all in at 2K, i need one for a RWD LS6 conversion. You never know who is looking for what.

Last edited:
A junkyard would probably pick it up and tow it away for free. Look up auto salvage places in the phonebook and make some calls. You could also put it up on Craigslist. If the price is right (free), it should be gone that same day. I know if I had a car trailer and someone had a Craigslist ad for a free car, I'd be there as soon as I could, and I would tow it straight to a junkyard. Easy way to make $300 in just a few hours.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

I could imagine some charities have deals with shops to donate labor to fix-up cars before a sale.

I would bet that salvage places will take them and pay you around $10-15c/lb. Id go that route or else CL it with a bill of sale. In that case though Id require proper ID and proof of insurance, plus a bill of sale, and that's a lot more work...

Charities don't actually use the car. They put it up for auction and get some of the proceeds.

They will advertise we'll take your car running or not, and contract with towing if it needs a tow. So don't feel bad if your car is broken, they will take it.

Only feel bad if you do something liek fill the trunk with hazardous waste that you would need to pay to dispose of or something purely wicked like that.

It indeed by far is the easiest way to get rid of a car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser

I don't think it's uncommon. there were two flyers in my weekly mailer that stated they took cars for donation, running or not. "all cars accepted" said one of them. I believe they just send it to auction - which they do for most of the cars anyway. besides, anyone with any knowledge of used cars should be well-versed in Dodge/Chryslers of that era with the 2.7. very common failure. I tried to avoid the problem and replaced the water pump and the entire timing set 5k miles ago. obviously that was a wasted effort. There are also at least two engine builders locally that advertise they specialize in rebuilding the 2.7

If you can drive it go to a recylcer or two and see what they offer. It is better then "free" pickup typically in terms of cash. However "free" may involve some cash too and no hassle.

Craiglist is dreadful in terms of folks following up or showing up.

Last edited:
The wreckers here will pickup your car for free, and I imagine you could ask for $100 and they probably still would come and get it.

at one point, you could write off the blue book value of your car. I believe now they actually notify you of the price it sells for at auction - and you write off that amount. perhaps someone knows?

There used to be a thriving cottage industry of swapping good Chrysler 3.2 or 3.5 liter engines from wrecks into Intrepid/Concordes that had blown 2.7L engines, but those days are long gone, the cars themselves are just about all used up and worn out at this time. Junkyard is probably best all-around, least effort for you, whatever good parts will find their way to people who need them, and the rest will get recycled.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
at one point, you could write off the blue book value of your car. I believe now they actually notify you of the price it sells for at auction - and you write off that amount. perhaps someone knows?

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/ta...-/INF14391.html

You shouldn't need to worry about the paperwork. Just go with a bigger charity and they will be streamlined to get you the maximum deduction you are allowed.

Try selling it for $800-$1000 and see what you can get. let prospective buyers know that there is a timing chain issue.

Is it guides, tensioner, or chain stretch? May not need a rebuild per se. Someone may get a few good years out of it after a lesser repair than rebuilding the engine.

thanks for all of the information. I am tempted to do the 3.5 conversion - but with the effort involved I would want a fresh reman'd 3.5

Originally Posted By: raytseng
Charities don't actually use the car. They put it up for auction and get some of the proceeds.

exactly, they all get auctioned on carparts or similar. often labeled as "runs and drives" and some sucker will actually pay for them real money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back