Finally put the 20w50 in the Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car is in the signature - AU Falcon with the 4.0 inline 6. Manual recommends 10w30 for optimal fuel economy but 40 and 50 weights are perfectly fine!
I have been using my stash of Durablend 10w30 I got in the sale (and I still have 10 liters of the stuff left!) but today I decided to throw in one of the bottles of Maxlife 20w50 I got in the same sale.
The 10w30 I could see was seeping out of a few places around the block so I thought I'd see how Maxlife's magic seal/gasket conditioners would work, as well as a thick oil.
I have driven the car about an hour this evening and I can already notice the engine is much smoother at highway speeds and I can't feel as much vibration when I put my hand on the shifter. I am going to keep my eye on the seeping areas and keep degreasing it to see how fast it comes back.
I don't plan on going to the snow yet so 20w50 is fine up here on the coast where it rarely reaches freezing

It will be fine. It's probably the way to go when summer comes, especially if you have some visible leaks.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
It will be fine. It's probably the way to go when summer comes, especially if you have some visible leaks.

Yep! I'm pretty certain any mechanic would just chuck the cheapest 20w50 dino in it anyway.
Any leaks aren't serious, just weeping here and there and even on 10w30 there wasn't any oil consumtion (maybe 0.5L/1pint max over 10k)
I would like to stick to one oil and keep with it so it will either be 20w50 Maxlife or Durablend 15w50 since I love the way it runs on a 50 weight and I haven't noticed a drop in fuel economy yet

I'd do a complete fill of Maxlife 20W50 (is that's what is current or did you just top off with a single quart of 20W50?).

It was a full filter and change with the Maxlife.
M1 5w50 is overkill in this engine and cost 3 times as much as the Maxlife.
Here in coastal Queensland around freezing point on the coldest winter nights all the way up to the odd 40+C (105+F) day in summer. I sometimes head inland which can get well below freezing in winter and occasionally I take a road trip down to the Snowy Mountains (around -5/-10c in winter) need to factor these differences in and a 15/20w50 should be fine I reckon

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
What sort of extreme heat temps do you see 19Jacobob93?

It's australia. They run 20w-50 in the winter and 30w-70 in the summer!

Good job not falling into the latest BITOG cold flow fanboy club.

At those temps, anything you mentioned will be fine.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyMerrill
Why not M1 5W50?

I'm guessing because he has some gasket seepage and the full synthetic would more than likely worsen the problem.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

Yeah I really had no idea how hot it gets there. Despite of what I read on the web, I wouldnt mind visiting at least once.

10nuh50.jpg

Close! My dad put some 40w70 in his Pajero cause it used to burn oil! Just google search 40w70 engine oil, both Penrite and Nulon make it, I think it's insane!

It's not all hot though, this is the forecast for where the town is in the mountains I like to visit. Some pretty severe snow storms are forecast over the weekend with a couple of feet expected in some places! Snow is expected right up to the Queensland state border (where I live) but only in the mountains inland, we don't get any snow here on the Gold Coast

Hi 19jacobob93,

I remember those AU Falcons when they first came out. I was probably driving a 202 ci Holden Kingswood with Castrol GTX 20W50 in it at the time.

I liked the new Fords, especially the Falcon S with the 5 spd. manual and independent rear suspension. Is this the one you have?

I also liked the earlier EL Falcon, strong yet refined looking.

I recon the valvoline semi-synthetic oils would work great in your car, either the 15w50 Durablend or 20w50 MaxLife. Especially as you can regularly get it on special around here.

It's got to be better than the old 20w50 mineral oil we all use to run.

Cheers,
SR5

Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

Close! My dad put some 40w70 in his Pajero cause it used to burn oil! Just google search 40w70 engine oil, both Penrite and Nulon make it, I think it's insane!

I ran Penrite 40-70 in my first motorcycle, a Yamaha SR500, all year round. No problem. It used oil on GTX 20W-50, but not on Penrite 40-70.

BTW it's a 40-70, there is no "W" in it, but there is 1450 ppm Zinc in it.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Originally Posted By: 19jacobob93

I ran Penrite 40-70 in my first motorcycle, a Yamaha SR500, all year round. No problem. It used oil on GTX 20W-50, but not on Penrite 40-70.

BTW it's a 40-70, there is no "W" in it, but there is 1450 ppm Zinc in it.

http://m.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Penrite-HPR-50-Engine-Oil-40W-70-5-Litre/1098

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back