Tire size question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cars tire size is 235/50r17 I want to use cooper cs5 gt but it's made in 235/55r17 could that size work on the rim? Or would there be issues with the rim and clearances.

The bigger question is: How much room is under the febders? Is the tire going to rub?

For that we need to know the year, make, and model of the car - and even then, we might not be able to figure this out. To my knowledge, no one publishes a list showing what fits inside the fenderwells.

Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
the tire will fit on the rim and will be slightly narrower and taller. Im guessing less then .5 inch

Why would it be narrower?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kawiguy454
the tire will fit on the rim and will be slightly narrower and taller. Im guessing less then .5 inch

Why would it be narrower?

^ Exactly my thinking. It is still a 235 section width.

It is actually 0.93in taller. That's pretty significant in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
What is the car in question and what is the OE speed rating?

Yes, I would be more concerned about the tire meeting the correct specs. Usually one size up(in secdion width or aspect ratio) will fit a wheel well.

Originally Posted By: Bldavis22
My cars tire size is 235/50r17 I want to use cooper cs5 gt but it's made in 235/55r17 could that size work on the rim? Or would there be issues with the rim and clearances.

Who knows? Not enough information.

What you can rely on, however, is the following:

- Acceleration will be slower
- Braking distance will be longer
- Speedometer will no longer read correctly
- Odometer will no longer record accurately
- Gas mileage might get better, but then again, it might get worse
- Tire pressure recommended on the door jamb will no longer be correct

Other than that, the tire will fit on the rim - good news!

HTH

I think the general rule of thumb is still that you don't want to go much above 3% of increase to the wheel diameter. The 3.5% increase likely won't make a difference to the wheel control electronics if it fits...although it's still an unknown. Much above that and all bets are off.

I upsized the tires on my car to a 205 vs. the 195 OEM and it actually corrected the speedometer / odometer versus the OEM size. I extended my warranty to what it should be....

2013 Matrix was 205/55/16/6.5" wheel, now 225/45/18/8" wheel.
2013 2500 GMC, was 265/60/20 8.5" wheel, now 275/65/20 9" wheel.
(Believe me, you don't want my full list of o/s tire and wheel combinations)

AS long as you have 1/2 inch of clearance at full crank,
a one inch taller tire will fit without rubbing.

....And so what if it rubs at full crank?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't guess anything is wrong with the ultra tires I just thought the GT tires would be better for rural roads.

Car they will be going on is a 2014 Ford Fusion se both of the rear tires have developed flat spots on the treAd making the car bouncy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back